Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Help on answering this question.

-Read the passage below, which is the beginning of section 6 of the novel, and answer the question that follows.

The deep green pool of the Salinas River was still in the late afternoon. Already the sun had left the valley to go climbing up the slopes of the Gabilan mountains, and the hill tops were rosy in the sun. But by the pool among the mottled sycamores, a pleasent shade had fallen.
    A water snake glided smoothly up the pool, twisting its periscope head from side to side; and it swam the length of the pool and came to the legs of the motionless heron that stood in the shallows. A silent head and beak lanced down and plucked it out by the head, and the beak swallowed the little snake while its tail waved frantically.
    A far rush of wind sounded and a gust drove through the tops of the trees like a wave. The sycamore leaves turned up their silver sides, the brown, dry leaves on the ground scudded a few feet. And row on row of tiny wind waves flowed up the pool's green surface
    As quickly as it had come, the wind died, and the clearing was quiet again. The heron stood in the shallows, motionless and waiting. Another little water snake swam up the pool, turning its periscope head from side to side.
    Suddenly Lennie appeared out of the brush, and he came as silently as a creeping bear moves. The heron pounded the air with its wings, jacked itself clear of the water, and flew off down-river. The little snake slid in among the reeds at the pool's side.

How do I write about:
    - The ways the writer uses details in this passage to make the reader think about the characters, events and ideas in the novel
    - The ways the writer uses details in the passage to prepare the reader for the ending

How do I start?
    What points/quotes should I include?
    What would make a perfect answer?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if this is for the January 2011 coursework, i am doing the same thing as you and also having the same problem!!
    is your question about the comparison of Candy's dog's death and Lennie's death and then what affect it has on the reader?

well, for this i would definitely mention how the creatures depart when Lennie appears, almost as if they suspect something bad is about to happen and the whole beginning when Steinbeck describes the setting is deflecting the attention of what Lennie has just done, i would say that it is slowly building up some suspense and keeping the reader on edge for something is about to happen.

the only thing i could say to help give you the perfect answer is to 'PEE'
    P- Point
    E- Example (quote)
    E- Explain (details)

Hope this helps and that i'm not too late!

ReputationRep:
    its all about the animals representing characters and society, ie Lennie the snake, at the beginning he swims across the pool, minding his own business, as in life, but at the end he gets swallowed by the bird, and gets swallowed by society and modern day life, it all gets too much for him and he dies. Again this also prepares reader for ending.
    There are also more references here to Lennie being a bear, big, clumsy, unwelcome etc. Just re read the passage over and over and find really hidden meanings, the examiner cannot mark you down for having an opinion, or mark you down if its not what they personally think. as long as there is some sort of link or connection!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harry3)
    its all about the animals representing characters and society, ie Lennie the snake, at the beginning he swims across the pool, minding his own business, as in life, but at the end he gets swallowed by the bird, and gets swallowed by society and modern day life, it all gets too much for him and he dies. Again this also prepares reader for ending.
    There are also more references here to Lennie being a bear, big, clumsy, unwelcome etc. Just re read the passage over and over and find really hidden meanings, the examiner cannot mark you down for having an opinion, or mark you down if its not what they personally think. as long as there is some sort of link or connection!

Yes, as the poster above says ^ ^ .
    However, when i was doing my gcses last year and i looked at the examiners report for this question, it said that people who find symbolism in everything and everything will not be placed at the top of the bands (A/A*)

I suggest you talk about concepts too. For example, the snake and the bird or whatever could suggest the predatory nature of the world, and that dreams can't last forever. There is also a sense of inevitability, sharply contrasting with the peaceful nature of the place where lennie is at, perhaps forboding a sense of mystery towards the end?

Link themes to this, and not just symbolise everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paintgirl50)
    Help on answering this question.

-Read the passage below, which is the beginning of section 6 of the novel, and answer the question that follows.

The deep green pool of the Salinas River was still in the late afternoon. Already the sun had left the valley to go climbing up the slopes of the Gabilan mountains, and the hill tops were rosy in the sun. But by the pool among the mottled sycamores, a pleasent shade had fallen.
    A water snake glided smoothly up the pool, twisting its periscope head from side to side; and it swam the length of the pool and came to the legs of the motionless heron that stood in the shallows. A silent head and beak lanced down and plucked it out by the head, and the beak swallowed the little snake while its tail waved frantically.
    A far rush of wind sounded and a gust drove through the tops of the trees like a wave. The sycamore leaves turned up their silver sides, the brown, dry leaves on the ground scudded a few feet. And row on row of tiny wind waves flowed up the pool's green surface
    As quickly as it had come, the wind died, and the clearing was quiet again. The heron stood in the shallows, motionless and waiting. Another little water snake swam up the pool, turning its periscope head from side to side.
    Suddenly Lennie appeared out of the brush, and he came as silently as a creeping bear moves. The heron pounded the air with its wings, jacked itself clear of the water, and flew off down-river. The little snake slid in among the reeds at the pool's side.

How do I write about:
    - The ways the writer uses details in this passage to make the reader think about the characters, events and ideas in the novel
    - The ways the writer uses details in the passage to prepare the reader for the ending

How do I start?
    What points/quotes should I include?
    What would make a perfect answer?

Thanks in advance
    Check out these books.
    Which could help you with your GCSE?
    Of Mice And Men

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.