Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not fond of contract phones but I am wanting an iPhone so its really my only option

The network '3' is doing a better deal than o2
    Just wondering how good is the '3' network?
    Iv been told its pretty terrible and Iv always had an o2 phone so I couldnt tell

Theres quite a big difference in the deal but its still a lot of money so Id rather have an expensive phone that works and is reliable

Any comments on '3's network

The deals are:
    '3' - iphone 4 £99 upfront

(16gb) ... 300 any network minutes ... £30 a month
    5000 texts
    5000 Three-to-Three minutes
    500MB Internet

o2 - iphone 4 £229 ... £25 a month

(16gb)
    100 mins
    Unlimited texts
    500MB

They are both for 2 year contracts
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    3 is the best network i've ever been on. Fantastic signal (I live in the middle of nowhere so this is a rarity), no problems with payment, fast internet, cheap prices. My only problem was that I couldn't use it abroad but I didn't use it anyway because.. well I was on holiday! I recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whysoserious)
    Not fond of contract phones but I am wanting an iPhone so its really my only option

The network '3' is doing a better deal than o2
    Just wondering how good is the '3' network?
    Iv been told its pretty terrible and Iv always had an o2 phone so I couldnt tell

Theres quite a big difference in the deal but its still a lot of money so Id rather have an expensive phone that works and is reliable

Any comments on '3's network

The deals are:
    '3' - iphone 4 £99 upfront

(16gb) ... 300 any network minutes ... £30 a month
    5000 texts
    5000 Three-to-Three minutes
    500MB Internet

o2 - iphone 4 £229 ... £25 a month

(16gb)
    100 mins
    Unlimited texts
    500MB

They are both for 2 year contracts
    Thanks
    Just look at the total cost of ownership for the contract. It's marginally cheaper on three, plus you get more minutes and about the same amount of texts, as "unlimited" texts basically means subject to Fair Use Policy. o2's data network is also crippled by the number smartphone users they have, too.

ReputationRep:
    With O2 you would spend 10 pounds more but get unlimited messages, but with 3 you get more voice minutes, which is probably also good for you.
    In terms of pure cost/benefits I would go for 3. The both networks are bad, however, so at least you would save some money!

ReputationRep:
    3 generally do have quite bad signal compared to the other networks. They operate a 3G only network, so if you can't get 3G, you can't get any signal. Do a coverage check with 3, ask your friends and family that are on the network how good the coverage is, and if they say it's good where you live then go with it.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends where you live. Ask friends, family, people you know etc. You can use the signal checkers on the internet if you want, but in general they are pretty useless. Asking people / testing a PAYG sim card is the best way of finding out if you can get signal.

(Original post by Coda)
    3 generally do have quite bad signal compared to the other networks. They operate a 3G only network, so if you can't get 3G, you can't get any signal. Do a coverage check with 3, ask your friends and family that are on the network how good the coverage is, and if they say it's good where you live then go with it.
    Nope. If you can't get 3G signal, you fall back to the Orange 2G network.
    Also, as Three share masts with T-Mobile, and T-Mobile have just merged with Orange, soon (sometime in 2011) you'll be able to use the Orange 3G network if you are on Three too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.