Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering I'm not the most technologically-minded, I was wondering if one of the experts around here could help me out?

I have the headphones that came with my iPhone, the one with the volume control button on the wire...
    Anyway, the other day, i pressed the botton in between the up and down volume ones and thought it had paused my music but it actually just cut out the sound. Anyway, I've pressed it a million times since and when I used it again with my phone but it's a bit temperamental...

Just now, I tried to use them with my laptop and I'm only getting the background sounds and not the main audio - unless I only plug it halfway into the jack so it's half hanging out... Anyone got any ideas? Would be very much appreciated!

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Considering I'm not the most technologically-minded, I was wondering if one of the experts around here could help me out?

I have the headphones that came with my iPhone, the one with the volume control button on the wire...
    Anyway, the other day, i pressed the botton in between the up and down volume ones and thought it had paused my music but it actually just cut out the sound. Anyway, I've pressed it a million times since and when I used it again with my phone but it's a bit temperamental...

Just now, I tried to use them with my laptop and I'm only getting the background sounds and not the main audio - unless I only plug it halfway into the jack so it's half hanging out... Anyone got any ideas? Would be very much appreciated!

xx
    At least you still have yours. I was vacuuming and somehow they were under the sofa. I vacuumed underneath and it sucked it up. I was left with the shell of one of the ear phones .

~ Bumped ~ am buying new ones today if noone can shed somelight! xx

ReputationRep:
    Get new ones.
    iPod standard headphones are awful.

ReputationRep:
    what the above poster said.
    but if they do still come under warranty, you could go to an apple store and ask for a replacement, although you might look like a t w a t.

ReputationRep:
    You found the answer to your own thread congratulations, the others ones were naft or no good. Basically the wire most probably has a split in it so it was not running at full capacity hence only the background noise.

ReputationRep:
    don't buy new ones! take them to an apple store and explain the problem! let them give you new ones!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the warranty thing. If they are under warranty you should definitely ask for a replacement. But if not buy new ones, and not apple branded ones, everyone who I know who has them they have broken lol.

ReputationRep:
    I have replaced mine several times while under the one year warranty, they are really friendly about it.

I've even taken friends' broken headphones from out-of-warranty iPods and got them a free replacement pretending they're my iPhone 4's headphones

ReputationRep:
    ummm..none got the answer here!! hehe..no offense...the i-pods jacks are the same size as normal jacks..u know those normal earphones..but it ur case u've got the ones with the remote thing...so there is an extra signal intake/output section..in the jack..in simple words there are three strips on the jack if u look close...the third one interrupts signals if u plug those headphones into a normal jack so that might be the problem..once u pull the jack out a bit, the third strip doesn't touch its portion thus..u get proper sound!!hope this helps!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.