Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Commercial Awareness HELP! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I know this topic has been raised many times on TSR but I'm starting to get pretty stressed out about it now.

Basically, I've attended many interviews for TC's now and have received mixed reviews about my knowledge & awareness of commercial issues.

According to one interviewer, my technique and skill set is "flawless" with the exception of my C.A.

I think my issue is linking a commercial issue to how it affects law firms. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers, particularly in relation to bankers bonuses (as this is my chosen commercial topic of focus) and how it will affect law firms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solicitor2be)
    Hi guys

I know this topic has been raised many times on TSR but I'm starting to get pretty stressed out about it now.

Basically, I've attended many interviews for TC's now and have received mixed reviews about my knowledge & awareness of commercial issues.

According to one interviewer, my technique and skill set is "flawless" with the exception of my C.A.

I think my issue is linking a commercial issue to how it affects law firms. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers, particularly in relation to bankers bonuses (as this is my chosen commercial topic of focus) and how it will affect law firms.

You need a mock interview. Are you or your family able to call in a favour from a solicitor, it doesn't need to be someone in a commercial firm, but someone senior enough to be involved in running the practice or the department.

You should have a proper interview and then a debrief.

Commercial awareness often doesn't mean and awareness of business and the commercial world in general but an understanding of how your law firm makes money and what the client wants from the law firm.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.rollonfriday.com/Training...0/Default.aspx

I assume the OP got plenty of advice already ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)

He clearly has!

But what none of them, nor I, can do is identify what precisely he is saying or not saying that is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solicitor2be)
    Hi guys

Commercial awareness is two things really.

Firstly, knowing the business developments. By reading the FT and/or any other related magazine/paper - recommend Bloombergs Business Week or Bloomberg Markets. Its all good reading and spitting them out during an interview, but you need to understand the impact of what you are reading on the company (present and future) and the market as a whole.

Secondly, you need to show that you can appreciate how the business world operates. This is the factor that is hardest to understand if you have had no previous experience. In short, the old "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" saying. There are a few books out there that can help you with this. Check the other threads and decide which is for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.