Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it really 'freshly squeezed' orange juice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else cynical about the freshly squeezed orange juice you buy in the shops? If it really is freshly squeezed like they say, then why does it taste so different to when you actually make fresh orange juice at home?

ReputationRep:
    Because there is a preservative added to it to make it last.

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention the fact its in a bottle, which has been shipped from the factory, then has been stood in fridge till you open it!
    Cant be freshly squeezed then, CANT IT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Freshly squeezed?
    I call bull****.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it is actually freshly squeezed, though maybe freshly squeezed orange juice from cafes is actually freshly squeezed ...hmm

ReputationRep:
    The supermarkets lie!

I bought a bottle of 'freshly squeezed apple juice' from Lidl the other day. I doubt it's ever seen an apple in its life, the way it tasted. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, when it says its freshly squeezed, it means that it is squeezed when it is ripe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    The supermarkets lie!

I bought a bottle of 'freshly squeezed apple juice' from Lidl the other day. I doubt it's ever seen an apple in its life, the way it tasted. :sad:
    How do you squeeze an apple, anyway? I would've been wary when they said "freshly squeezed apple juice', haha.

ReputationRep:
    It can't really be 'freshly squeezed', although I imagine it depends on how you define 'fresh'

ReputationRep:
    What do you think they do, squeeze it right there in the shop? :|

ReputationRep:
    Essentially,
    Freshly squeezed = oranges juiced, bottled and shipped out
    Not from concentrate = oranges juiced, pasteurised (heated then cooled), bottled and shipped out
    From concentrate = basically reconstituted watered down sugary crap

So it's 'fresh', depending on how you define it.

ReputationRep:
    This is really not threadworthy at all :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.