Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to go into investment banking and I am in my final year of university, studying social sciences. I got a 1st last year and have an offer from a top business school next year that is conditional on a 2:1. I have two options this year:

a) Push for the 1st in social sciences.
    b) Complete some internships with small investment companies in my area of interest but sacrifice the 1st for a 2:1.

Which is the better option A or B?

ReputationRep:
    b)

ReputationRep:
    C. Gain a 1st and do some internships in the summer after your exams.

ReputationRep:
    C is correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver9)
    Hi,

I want to go into investment banking and I am in my final year of university, studying social sciences. I got a 1st last year and have an offer from a top business school next year that is conditional on a 2:1. I have two options this year:

a) Push for the 1st in social sciences.
    b) Complete some internships with small investment companies in my area of interest but sacrifice the 1st for a 2:1.

Which is the better option A or B?
    That's not an attitude I'd like if I was interviewing you. Do the internships and get the 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    That's not an attitude I'd like if I was interviewing you. Do the internships and get the 1st.
    You're an interviewer at an IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    You're an interviewer at an IB?
    No. I'm going to be a first year analyst next year. I meant if I interviewed you (in a hypothetical world) I wouldn't like that attitude. Probably lost in translation hahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    C. but put the 1st before the internships in small companies.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely C. The 1st must come first.

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand why everyone is so obsessed with getting a first. it's not like if you get a 2.1 you will be filtered out for interviews
    surely in an ideal world you would get a first and the internship
    but in reality i would say a 2.1 and an internship and having fun > getting a first and internship and being stuck in library all day long

Grades are actually almost worthless. They devalue to nearly nothing very quickly.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by President_Ben)
      Grades are actually almost worthless. They devalue to nearly nothing very quickly.
      im guessing it helps when going for your first job...

but after you have aa job, the experience is probably worth more

(Original post by Rickelton)
        im guessing it helps when going for your first job...

but after you have aa job, the experience is probably worth more
        You ought to have the job before you get the degree. Then the degree really is close to worthless (notable exception, you absolutely know you want to go to business school, but even, it's a minor factor).

ReputationRep:
        Internships are more important.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by The IC Guy)
        Internships are more important.
        Yes but how is trying to secure an internship going to stop him getting a first? And he is talking about work experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by epc)
        Yes but how is trying to secure an internship going to stop him getting a first? And he is talking about work experience anyway.
        It shouldn't, I was just answering the hypothetical question in the OP.

He should just do a summer internship anyway, left it pretty late though.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by President_Ben)
        You ought to have the job before you get the degree. Then the degree really is close to worthless (notable exception, you absolutely know you want to go to business school, but even, it's a minor factor).
        yeah but if you dont have the job or any experience, then a 1st would be the best thing you have.

Although the degree is close to worthless, without the degree you wouldnt have the 1st job, but i see what you are saying

ReputationRep:
        1st has no relevance value, but it has signalling value

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by 10Scientist)
        I can't understand why everyone is so obsessed with getting a first. it's not like if you get a 2.1 you will be filtered out for interviews
        surely in an ideal world you would get a first and the internship
        but in reality i would say a 2.1 and an internship and having fun > getting a first and internship and being stuck in library all day long
        No I dont think it matteres really, I doubt you'll get screened out anyay. But when I had my interview for Operations, they looked at my 2:1 (1st year results) and asked what went wrong! Which left me explaining how I'd altered my lifestyle to push for a 1st...

I got through anyway, but still, operations..

ReputationRep:
        dont waste ur time over studying and worrying about a 1st. Total waste of time. Use your time for personal development, living life and above all chasing girls.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.