Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dell Laptop died .. HELP! Need to reboot Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so after hours of restarting, I can finally say that my laptop has just died, not totally but when I try and load it up normally the screen turns blue and goes back to the start. I can't even go on safemode, I can't do anything!

The only thing that I can do is to reboot it, but I don't know how and I don't have the CD that goes with the laptop..

Am I screwed?

(Original post by Jonario)
      Am I screwed?
      Not necessarily - do you have access to another PC you can use to download and burn a Linux Live CD? If you do that, you may be able to use that to boot the machine into Linux and copy your important files onto a memory stick or similar.

How far does it get before you get the blue screen and automatic restart?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      Not necessarily - do you have access to another PC you can use to download and burn a Linux Live CD? If you do that, you may be able to use that to boot the machine into Linux and copy your important files onto a memory stick or similar.

How far does it get before you get the blue screen and automatic restart?
      Yes I do, I'm on my slow computer -_- and If I do burn a linux live cd wouldn't that mean I'd have linux as my OP ? If do I boot it onto Linux would that mean my laptop would start from new and everthing is erased?

It doesn't even get to the main screen, it just gets to the part where Dell is loading.

ReputationRep:
      Sounds like Windows has gone loopy-loo...

What were you doing last time that it worked? Installed/uninstalled anything?

With the CD you can restore the system to its last working state, but if you don't have it and if you cannot access the system in other ways, then a reload would do.

Doing this, however, will cause the loss of your data and documents on the same hard disk partition, so I hope you have made a backup already.

If you are more precise about the problem you're having, it would be easier to understand what may have happened.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dshadow)
      Sounds like Windows has gone loopy-loo...

What were you doing last time that it worked? Installed/uninstalled anything?

With the CD you can restore the system to its last working state, but if you don't have it and if you cannot access the system in other ways, then a reload would do.

Doing this, however, will cause the loss of your data and documents on the same hard disk partition, so I hope you have made a backup already.

If you are more precise about the problem you're having, it would be easier to understand what may have happened.

I was on youtube :P Then it started slowing down and it kept freezing every minute till it collapsed. I switched it on and off many times till I couldn't get to the main menu.

Now when I switch my computer on it says

SMART Failure predicted on hark disk .....

Warning immediately back up you data and replace your hark disk drive. A failure may be imminent

Press F1 to continue

When I press f1 i gives me two options

Launch startup repair

Start Windows normally

Neither work..

ReputationRep:
      If a friend lends me a Windows 7 CD will it work?

ReputationRep:
      According to the BIOS diagnostics of your computer, your hard disk is about to kiss goodbye to never come back.

This may be caused by a defective motherboard (and in this case the hard disk is probably healthy but the rest of the computer internal hardware should be replaced) or it is really true that the disk is somehow broken, even if it's odd. A mechanical failure is possible, but not all of a sudden, unless your computer fell or got some bad hit while on.

Another cause might be overheating that has damaged something inside. Has your computer suddenly restarted by itself in the last few weeks?

Your best option at this point is to give your computer to a geek friend to take care of it or take it to a shop for recovery.

However it's pretty strange...

ReputationRep:
      According to the BIOS diagnostics of your computer, your hard disk is about to kiss goodbye to never come back.

This may be caused by a defective motherboard (and in this case the hard disk is probably healthy but the rest of the computer internal hardware should be replaced) or it is really true that the disk is somehow broken, even if it's odd. A mechanical failure is possible, but not all of a sudden, unless your computer fell or got some bad hit while on.

Another cause might be overheating that has damaged something inside. Has your computer suddenly restarted by itself in the last few weeks?

Your best option at this point is to give your computer to a geek friend to take care of it or take it to a shop for recovery.

However it's pretty strange...
      :'( It just randomly happened today, it's been fine all week!

ReputationRep:
      SMART data are a set of parameters that measure the "health" of your hard disk. When these parameters go off scale for some reason, then the computer thinks that the disk is about to break down and warns the user. I heard of problems of overheating with Dell computers that damaged internal components, anyway.

If the problem has just come up, then you are probably still safe and your data on the hard disk are not compromised. You can try restoring the system with a Win7 CD, but if the smart warning is true, then I am afraid the attempt will prove unsuccessful, leaving you with the only option of bringing the computer to a shop for assistance.

For my personal curiosity, do you have a Dell Studio?

ReputationRep:
      SMART data are a set of parameters that measure the "health" of your hard disk. When these parameters go off scale for some reason, then the computer thinks that the disk is about to break down and warns the user. I heard of problems of overheating with Dell computers that damaged internal components, anyway.

If the problem has just come up, then you are probably still safe and your data on the hard disk are not compromised. You can try restoring the system with a Win7 CD, but if the smart warning is true, then I am afraid the attempt will prove unsuccessful, leaving you with the only option of bringing the computer to a shop for assistance.

For my personal curiosity, do you have a Dell Studio?
      Ok thanks

and yes lol I have Dell studio 1555

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jonario)
      Ok thanks

and yes lol I have Dell studio 1555

Your model of computer has been reported several times for its tendency to overheat. A quick look via google will give you an idea.

A possible explanation -but not the only one- for your system problem is that either the CPU or the GPU (graphic card processor) or maybe both are producing too much heat, making the system unstable and causing the error output you saw on screen.

If you are not sure of how to maintain your computer, you should let somebody expert perform a complete clean of your laptop to remove the dust that often prevents a proper air circulation and causes a temp boost. Replacing the heatsink paste might also help.

I would bring your computer to the shop for assistance, however it's up to you if you want to ask for some expert friend's help first.

ReputationRep:
      Sorry to thread necomancy but I have a similar problem

Acer 5920G, today all of a sudden my computer crashed and when I went to reboot it, it said the whole thing about pressing F1 etc.

Anyway what do I do? the thing at the bottom keeps saying the whole thing about the disk may be failing etc but I appear to have complete use of my computer...is there any chance it's a false report or should I try and replace the hard drive disk?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 5, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.