Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am wanting to do surveying at university. I have received offers from my two favourite universities, however I am not sure which I would prefer to go to.
    I have applied for Building Surveying at Reading, and Quantity surveying at Loughborough. I'm not 100% sure which subject I would prefer, though I think Building surveying. If I went to Reading, I would have the option to switch to Quantity Surveying after two years, as the first two years are the same. Loughborough does not do Building Surveying, so the opposite could not be done there. When I went to Reading, I really liked it, in contrast with Loughborough which I really wasn't very impressed by. So I am leaning towards Reading. Obviously though, Loughborough has a great reputation overall. Also, when I looked at subject tables, Loughborough always came above Reading under "building". Though this is not entirely specific to the course I want to do.

Loughborough have slightly higher entry requirements, so If I were to choose Reading I'm not sure whether it would be worth having Loughborough as an insurance choice:

Reading-300 points from 3 A Level subjects, or 320 points from 3 A level subjects and an AS.

Loughborough- 300 points from 3 A Level.

As I have already got a B at AS, I will only need BBC to get into Reading, Whereas I would need BBB to get into Loughborough (or equivalent).

I have also got offers from Nottingham Trent (280 UCAS Tariff points from a minimum of 2 GCE A Levels) and UWE (BCC), both for Building Surveying. This means if I chose Reading as my first choice, I could have one of these as my reserve. If i choice Loughborough over Reading, then obviously they could be my firm and reserve choice respectively. I am still waiting to hear from Sheffield, which is for Urban Studies and Planning (standard offer is BBC).

So in conclusion, the questions I would like your advise on are:

Should I have Reading or Loughborough as my first choice?

If I choose Reading, is it worth having Loughborough as a reserve choice?

If not, which Uni should I have as my reserve?

Thanks A lot

ReputationRep:
    Reading, you want to go there and therefore you will probably excel there. Ignore league tables Reading has the advantage of being in the very affluent South East and employment prospects in the local area will be better than Loughborough.
    Go where you want not where league tables dictate you should go, Reading is still a quality University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal_FC)
    Go to whichever you would be happiest at.

Possibly. If you miss your offer by a small amount, your reserve choice might be more lenient and still accept you, but it's unlikely. Having an insurance choice with the same offer is better than no insurance choice, but if you have other places you could use for your insurance you're probably better choosing one of them instead.

I go to Loughborough so I'm biased. No comment.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds as if you'll be happy at both of them. I'd recommend Loughborough because of its reputation. Have you taken a look at graduate employment etc. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neesh123)
    It sounds as if you'll be happy at both of them. I'd recommend Loughborough because of its reputation. Have you taken a look at graduate employment etc. ?
    Graduate employment is slightly better at Loughborough, but I can't remember the exact figures. They are both fairly good though. Graduate Employment is really good at Loughborough because most people are sponsored, and go on to work with their sponsors after.

ReputationRep:
    Reading - you write positively about it, whereas you seem cautious about Loughborough.

They might be lenient if you miss your firm offer, but as long as you'd also be happy with one of the other offers, you're probably better off with them.

Your second favourite, with a lower or easier offer. You seem to like the option to switch to quantity surveying - do any of those unis have that option? How about the places, have you visited them?

Make sure you'd actually be happy to go to whatever insurance you have though, even if you don't think you'll miss your firm offer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I would be happy to go anywhere other than Reading or Loughborough. I haven't looked around the others though, which I will do. I think my choice after the top two would be UWE. Sheffield has a better reputation, but the course isn't ideal. So if Reading was my first choice, do you think I should have UWE as my reserve even though I'm not entirely sure I would be happy there? or do you think I should have nothing or Loughborough. I'm predicted AAA, so I shouldn't really miss Reading/Loughborough (touch wood).

ReputationRep:
    Graduate employment is slightly better at Loughborough, but I can't remember the exact figures. They are both fairly good though. Graduate Employment is really good at Loughborough because most people are sponsored, and go on to work with their sponsors after.
    I'd probably go for Loughborough then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.