Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i just got told not to eat chocolate when i have a cold because it has milk in it, which apparently builds up flem :confused:

i normally drink as many fluids as possible (water, juice, tea...with milk), and eat ridiculous amounts (way more than normally) especially (citrus) fruit
    also a paracetamol after pretty much every meal, and a nap

is the milk thing true? is there any else i could do which would speed up the return of my health?:/

ReputationRep:
    Dairy products do add to the flem in your throat/chest, so if you have a cough it's best to avoid it. In less serious colds, I'm sure it's fine - even a sore throat it can even help because it coats the throat a little making it easier to swallow. But overall, it's best to carry on eating lots of fruit, drinking loads of water, and getting lots of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Who said that, punch them in the face.
    How dare they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovewords)
    Who said that, punch them in the face.
    How dare they.
    i wish, it was my mummy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    i wish, it was my mummy
    Oh.
    Well give her lots of hugs.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of a digression, but when I have a cold I totally loose my appetite?! Strange that you eat loads, but thats a good thing- you get better quicker probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trixy.Sam)
    A bit of a digression, but when I have a cold I totally loose my appetite?! Strange that you eat loads, but thats a good thing- you get better quicker probably.
    yeah, i'm not particularly hungry, doesn't help that you can't really taste anything aha...you're right though, it's got to be done

i do remember when i used to get really ridiculously ill, i'd be bedridden and feverish for a couple of days (this would happen like, once a year)
    i literally wouldn't eat for the entire time, apart from a biscuit when i wanted to get some meds in me

ReputationRep:
    Feed a cold, starve a fever isn't it? Anyway, when I have a cold I avoid most milk products - not just because I've heard it can make flem etc worse, but because I really don't fancy milky things when I have a cold.

ReputationRep:
    Yep mummys right... it changes the consistency of the phlegm and makes it more difficult to shift and stodgy lots of white carbs e.g. white bread does the same. If you drink lots of fluids (home made honey and lemon, warm water etc) and eat unprocessed food i.e. fruits and veg you will probably get better quicker.

ReputationRep:
    I had a cold for the last week or so, only just getting over it now, I drank LOADS of milk (mixed with alcohol ) and it didn't help at all...well the alcohol helped but not the milk. Thinking about it, I'm sure that's the reason I had so much crap when coughing [/gross graphic] so the milk is probably not a good idea.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.