Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm thinking of getting an acoustic guitar, it will be my first so I want to keep it under £100.

Anyone got any advice on what to look for when in the shops?

ReputationRep:
    Check out guitarguitar.co.uk they do good starter packages, for decent prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peacefrog16)
    Check out guitarguitar.co.uk they do good starter packages, for decent prices.
    Seconding this. Bought a new acoustic from them just before christmas and very pleased with it.

If your getting guitar lessons at school/college/uni ask your teacher - I missed out on a 20% discount mine could've gotten me :facepalm:

Also recommend going into the store and playing the guitar your interested in to see how it sounds.
    Or you could have a look at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...ustic_guitars/

ReputationRep:
    Buy a guitar that you can fit in your ass. This makes it much easier for carrying.

My first was a basic black and white Squier Strat by Fender. It is best to start with something cheap so that it is not a big loss if you give up or become frustrted and smash it.

ReputationRep:
    As a beginner, you should probably keep it simple. Try playing a few of them to see which ones sound decent. Get one you like the look of, which has a nice size and shape, and fits comfortably in your lap when you try to play it.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest (unless you get lucky) an acoustic guitar at less that £100 is going to be difficult to play and sound bad. It might be worth upping your budget.

ReputationRep:
    Look for a terrible hunk of wood with some strings, keep it for 50 years and it'l be your most favoured object ever.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a PRS
    ...LOLJK.
    A lot of people including one side of myself would strongly advise you to buy a Strat. it's what everyone starts with, it's mad affordable and it's a GOOD (yet not great) all-round guitar. you buy it, you play it, you despise it, you replace it, you forget about it.
    I bought my strat 2nd hand for £100
    and the year after I bought a brand new Dean Vendetta for £80 with 24 JUMBO frets ( Strats have 21 medium size frets), string through body build and a pair of monster Dean humbucking pickups =D, it's never disappionted me, ever. And it can take as much of a bashing as a strat!

Long story short, I'd advise 3 things:

1. A Dean Vendetta or Jackson Dinky / Soloist (nevermind the name) over a Strat
    2. GAK.co.uk
    3. Gear4music.com

in pitcures: left. My Fender Strat - Right: My Dean vendetta
    (My profile pic is my beloved Jackson Kelly)

ReputationRep:
    Did nobody read the OP? He wants an acoustic.

My advice is to try and find a guitar player to take with you to the shop. The best thing is to have someone with a little experience play it and let you know whether it sounds and feels good to play. Although to be honest, as a beginner, you aren't going to sound good for a while so the main concern is to find something easy to play with a nice neck and amenable to a decent action.

ReputationRep:
    I highly recommend getting an ibanez or takamine.
    I have played both makes and they always seem to have a nice ring to them.

Obviously a guitar that costs under £100 isn't going to be amazing but yeah, take a look at these makes.

Another thing, always try the guitar out and then buy online. My Taylor was £700 in a shop and I got it for £530 online. You'll save tonnes of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Did nobody read the OP? He wants an acoustic.

My advice is to try and find a guitar player to take with you to the shop. The best thing is to have someone with a little experience play it and let you know whether it sounds and feels good to play. Although to be honest, as a beginner, you aren't going to sound good for a while so the main concern is to find something easy to play with a nice neck and amenable to a decent action.
    I just got owned.

....FATALITY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckyl92)
    I highly recommend getting an ibanez or takamine.
    I have played both makes and they always seem to have a nice ring to them.

Obviously a guitar that costs under £100 isn't going to be amazing but yeah, take a look at these makes.

Another thing, always try the guitar out and then buy online. My Taylor was £700 in a shop and I got it for £530 online. You'll save tonnes of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wacky9873)
    Well I'm thinking of getting an acoustic guitar, it will be my first so I want to keep it under £100.

Anyone got any advice on what to look for when in the shops?
    Why would you buy a guitar? Just to make some random sounds? Think of children dyeing in Africa. Rather donate that money to them. Think about it! Will you die without a guitar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YannTouchable)
    :eek: Well thats disturbing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    Why would you buy a guitar? Just to make some random sounds? Think of children dyeing in Africa. Rather donate that money to them. Think about it! Will you die without a guitar?
    Or he could donate the guitar to an African. I'm sure they'd have alot of fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKTeRW3OhQ
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yamaha acoustics are pretty cheap and not that bad to play. Some of them, even the slightly more expensive ones, sound horrible but when you're starting out you're less likely to notice or mind.

And try in store but buy online - you can save a lot of money that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Yamaha acoustics are pretty cheap and not that bad to play. Some of them, even the slightly more expensive ones, sound horrible but when you're starting out you're less likely to notice or mind.

And try in store but buy online - you can save a lot of money that way.
    I depise Yamaha :| Even when I was 11 and first started playing I couldn't stand it. My Dads Takamine sounded so much nicer and was around the same price.

ReputationRep:
    1. Don't ever buy a guitar before you've played it or at least a similar one.
    2. Be prepared to up your budget if you want one that will be easy to play.
    3. If you have a friend who knows about guitars, take them with you. They can then do any setting up/tweaking which might be required to make the most of your new guitar.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckyl92)
    I depise Yamaha :| Even when I was 11 and first started playing I couldn't stand it. My Dads Takamine sounded so much nicer and was around the same price.
    Yeah, when I was looking for my current semi acoustic I played one yamaha for about a minute and decided that it was priced about £200 too much, despite being under £200.
    I nstead I went for a tanglewood, which strangely has increased in value from £250 to £350 if I were to buy another one new.
    It sounds wonderful, although the strings I use are too high tension for most other people to play comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    We have Epiphone acoustics at school and they're pretty good to play, plus they are cheap

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.