Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which one would give me a stronger application for investment banking, if at all?
    BSc Geography with Economics at LSE (60% Geog, 40% Econ)
    BSc(Econ) Economics and Geography at UCL (50% Geog, 50% Econ)

Please keep in mind that the Geography part of both courses would be 100% human geography i.e. urban settlements, economic development, globalisation etc
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, just spin it well, there's A LOT of Economics that involves spatial analysis, i.e. migration and trade models. So you could say its Economics, focussing on such models that indeed need some knowledge of geography methods.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    They're both good. Do you have offers for both courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    They're both good. Do you have offers for both courses?
    Not yet....but I'm kinda expecting offers from both....if I don't I'll be pretty devastated - I got 10A*1A at GCSE, an A in additional maths, 4 A's at AS and am predicted 3 A*s. Plus the standard offer from LSE is AAB, and the standard offer from UCL is AAA (they are pretty niche degrees). I'm sitting on offers from Birmingham and Loughborough though for the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Not yet....but I'm kinda expecting offers from both....if I don't I'll be pretty devastated - I got 10A*1A at GCSE, an A in additional maths, 4 A's at AS and am predicted 3 A*s. Plus the standard offer from LSE is AAB, and the standard offer from UCL is AAA (they are pretty niche degrees). I'm sitting on offers from Birmingham and Loughborough though for the same thing.
    Cool. I'd be surprised if you don't get offers from UCL and LSE with those grades (assuming your ps and references are good).

ReputationRep:
    i would go to UCL, LSE is obviously great for this purpose but it isn't like it is notably better then UCL and i think you will benefit by having at least 50% in economics as this opens doors to go forward in thisf ield as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Cool. I'd be surprised if you don't get offers from UCL and LSE with those grades (assuming your ps and references are good).
    I see you've got an unconditional from UCL. Congrats! Have you already done your A-Levels ? And are you looking to get into IB?

ReputationRep:
    I see you've got an unconditional from UCL. Congrats! Have you already done your A-Levels ? And are you looking to get into IB?
    Thanks. Yeah I want to get into IB. I'm thinking either trading or research. I did some A-levels early, so I already satisfy the entry requirements for UCL.

ReputationRep:
    LSE > UCL for IB, both degrees are if not the same in an IB's eyes so the uni you do it at really matters and LSE has a lot more prestige! Plus there's a lot of connections that you can get at LSE which could be more beneficial to your career than at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Just pick whichever is easier and will get you higher grades. Both degrees are pretty similar, both are target schools - a decent application will get you through to the first round at most places.

ReputationRep:
    LSE anyday

ReputationRep:
    You will have more fun at UCL.

You are more likely to get in to IB from LSE.

If you do well at UCL, then you can still get in to IB, but as a general rule LSE is a better bet. But they are hiring the person not the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    Plus there's a lot of connections that you can get at LSE which could be more beneficial to your career than at UCL.
    LSE is indeed very close to temple, holborn and coven garden tube station!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.