The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

YOU PAY RENT YO YOUR PARENTS??
what has the world come to...

neg rep me all you want..i asked my mum if she would take rent from me she looked at me as if i was crazy..
maybe it's different with asian families..
all of who is neg repping me have stingy parents.
(edited 13 years ago)
Are they charging you for bills, food, washing etc.? Because tht will hike the price up.

I've heard rent should be 25% of your income, dunno how accurate that is.

Guess it depends on your parents and how keen they are to have you at home again.
Reply 3
As I live out during termtime, I don't pay rent.
A sensible way of doing it might be to look at how much rent you have to pay at the moment, and then pay your parents 50% of that? It would be unfair to pay the whole amount I think, but 50% of your current rent would seem like a fair amount.
Reply 4
I pay my Dad £320 a month. Which is a lot in comparison to all my friends...

EDIT: I am in full time work though, I'm not a student
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I pay £0.00 which I think is fair, considering I'm only 18.
Reply 6
I paid £200 a month when I dropped out of uni and moved back to my mom's house, which was totally fine by me - still a whole load cheaper than living on my own, and I worked full time so obviously had more than enough left for whatever I wanted each month.
Nothing. I don't get asked to pay rent :dontknow:
Your parents don't love you.
yh i guess it depends on your age and whether your working or not...
but eg. an 18 yr old student shouldn't have to pay imo...
and even a uni student shouldn't have to pay..
Reply 10
£100 a month while I'm on my gap year :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by lechaton-x
Your parents don't love you.

Overboard.
Reply 12
Never been asked to pay rent.
I think £200 sounds about fine...As one of my friend gives £50 a week to his parents.
Reply 14
Once I suggested to my parents paying them a small rent during summers when I'm living out at uni, as I will probably be working.
They were outraged by the idea.

Even if I wanted to, I don't think I'd be able to pay rent to my parents. They simply won't accept any money coming from me.
Reply 15
They didn't want me to.

I offered... wouldn't take it.
Reply 16
Well, I find it unfair to not pay, as a University student you are an adult and should be responsible for paying your way. Anyway you get student finance so what you want all that too yourself? Very selfish.

That's not to everyone, just the ignorant ones.
Original post by lechaton-x

I used to pay my Dad between £80-£100 per month depending on how much I could afford, whilst I was working full time.

It has nothing to do with how much your parents love you, it's only fair that I help out with the costs. Especially seeing as my Dad doesn't earn very much.
£280 a month. But I'm a working graduate. Probably gonna go up a bit when I get a massive pay rise in the New Year.
Reply 19
My half-sister pays about £200 a month.

It's perfectly normal for people to pay rent when they get a full time job. Your parents can't be expected to look after you your whole life, it's not fair on them, and tbh I think it shows that you actually appreciate what they do for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending