Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People - how long into a relationship would you ideally like to get married? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently read the thread directed at the girls here on when they would want their first and last kid (if at all). What struck me was that thew majority want them pretty young, but many people are around 21 yet do not have a partner (or only been going out for a short while)

Now say you were in a new relationship at 21, and want those kids at a young age, it would mean getting married ( Or perhaps not married at all) after a relatively short period of time, say 3 year relationship, marriage and then pregnant would bring the age to 25 which many girls want.

I ask this because people refer to their own parents a lot as a reference to wanting to be a "young mum" but it seems many girls are pursuing careers also......so in addition, would you give up your career ( or postpone it) to get married and have kids early, or would that ideal take a back seat?

ReputationRep:
    Started dating my bf at 16, 17 now, he's 20..At the moment, we both want a future with eachother. We've been together for a year and 2 months today ...Ideally, i wouldnt want him to be engaged to me by the time in 22. Would want to marry him before i turn 25, and kids 26/25, as i wouldnt want him to be beyond 30 when we do have kids. :P

ReputationRep:
    we'd like to have kids young but everthing we want doesn't happen..
    2-3 years is enough time to know what you want imo

soo if you went out with someone at 25,got married at about 27/28 had a child a t 30 you'd still be a young mum
    and yh i'd give a gap in my career for the above^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpneeded-a)
    Started dating my bf at 16, 17 now, he's 20..At the moment, we both want a future with eachother. We've been together for a year and 2 months today ...Ideally, i wouldnt want him to be engaged to me by the time in 22. Would want to marry him before i turn 25, and kids 26/25, as i wouldnt want him to be beyond 30 when we do have kids. :P
    I can see how your sitation would lead to young parenthood, but you are 5 years ahead of say a 21 yr old whose just got a new partner...i just find it an interesting topic lol

ReputationRep:
    I've been with the man I am going to marry next year for about six years. I can't imagine life with anyone else. I would like to start having children by the time I am 25.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 at the moment and doubt I'd start even thinking about marriage 'til at least 3/4 years into a relationship. As for kids, I'd guess that'd mean thinking about that in m late thirties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    I can see how your sitation would lead to young parenthood, but you are 5 years ahead of say a 21 yr old whose just got a new partner...i just find it an interesting topic lol
    I'd actually only want me and him to be engaged by 25 tbh, because i have uni to start and finish, get a job. When the career is settled, then everything else can fall into place, but i would want me to have time to spend my time with my bf in marriage before we have kids....so maybe 28. lol. But, i just dont want them to have a old ddadddy :O

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what age you are when you get with your partner and other things tbh.

I do think a lot of people will say 3/4 years... but if you get with someone at 18... in 3 years you're 21.. which i think imo is too young to marry?

But say you're like 26 and you happen to be single.. and meet your partner then i dont think it would take as long to start thinking/planing about marriage.

...but in reality if you get with someone you really realy like/love, then you start talking about the future anyway, whether it happens or not.

ReputationRep:
    marriage will have to wait until im 30, she can want it and threaten to leave I really wont care I have other plans.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'd ideally like to get married before I'm 30. I want to make sure I'm stable with everything in my life before I get married, and I've done all the main things I want to do in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my other half have been on/off for coming up to five years, and after a turbulent time we have now settled down and have a nearly 6 month old baby boy. But even despite having a child, I probably don't want to get married for atleast another 3 years. The reality is our son wasn't planned, and we haven't been settled long enough for me to even accept a marriage proposal yet, for all I know it could go tits up a few months down the line. Not a nice thought, but you never know!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm a couple of years I suppose. Was with my ex for 6 years but I wouldn't have wanted to marry him. I'm not really bothered about getting married, tbh. If it happens it happens. I don't want kids so I don't have the time pressures of that to think about.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wanna have kids any earlier then 24. 26 I guess would be a good age, but I'm not sure I want to get married. I'd rather just be in a very serious relationship with someone and have all my kids with them, but not with a piece of paper that imo, naively binds me to them for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    marriage will have to wait until im 30, she can want it and threaten to leave I really wont care I have other plans.
    Lad logic. +1

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to get married in my mid-late thirties, be well established in my career and be financially stable.
    My only problem would be (as a woman) I wouldn't be as fertile, and there could be possible health implications for the child (or children).

So I basically don't know what I will end up doing. Maybe I'll just adopt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlligatorTears)
    I don't wanna have kids any earlier then 24. 26 I guess would be a good age, but I'm not sure I want to get married. I'd rather just be in a very serious relationship with someone and have all my kids with them, but not with a piece of paper that imo, naively binds me to them for life.
    Whereas having their child doesn't bind you to them at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Whereas having their child doesn't bind you to them at all.
    Yeh, 'cause there's really a need to be sarky :rolleyes:

Romantically, no.

Take that chip off your shoulder, yeh

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to get married while I'm still at uni, at least as an undergrad, so if (big if) I get into a relationship in the near future, it would have to be 3 and a half years. Otherwise, I'd imagine it would be less than that. I don't want a really long engagement, I'd want to get married within a year of being engaged, preferably a lot less than that.

Of course, it would depend entirely on how I felt in any future relationship. A friend of mine's parents got engaged after knowing each other for six weeks. They are still happily married, and that was a long time ago. For other people, it takes a lot longer to be certain about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 4 or 5 years into a relationship. Cohabiting beforehand is also an absolute requirement. People can be very different when you're living with them.

With that in mind, I can't see me being married before 30.

Not having children, so that's not an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlligatorTears)
    Yeh, 'cause there's really a need to be sarky :rolleyes:
    lol, irony.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.