Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

As a dog owner I don't understand why other dog owners are so retarded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean is there some form of retardation,that has become more common recently? or is this idiocy just peculiar to dog owners?

Just read a story in the local news about a jogger being attacked when he ran past a large leashed german shepherd ,the jogger suffered thigh injuries and a ruputured testicle :eek:

Said in article, that the dog was put down ,due to the seriousness of the joggers injuries and it wasn't the dogs first offence apparently. Now I think people these days are far more selfish and perhaps some dog owners aren't excused from that,so maybe they think I don't care that my dog has a problem and has been in trouble Iam not taking steps to safeguard members of the public,by muzzling it for instance and taking it to a dog behaviourist.

But even then ,surely if you care about your own dog, you would realise the concequences for him/her would be grave if they seriously attacked someone,especially as it wasn't that dogs first offence? I don't think it's enough to destroy these dogs, personally, I think we need to treat the dogs action as the action of the owner when the owner knew full well the dog had a problem. So for instance in this case,due to the injuries to the jogger,I would think GBH.

ReputationRep:
    Idiots exist across all colours and creeds, dog walkers aren't exempt from this!

ReputationRep:
    I see what you're saying. I personally don't see the attraction in owning those ultra-dangerous breeds of dog. I know people who have been attacked by Rottweilers etc and it's not nice - although I'm a cat person, so wouldn't want to own any sort of dog, I can see the attraction in Labradors, and others 'nice' types. Pitbulls and Rottweilers, not so much.

I'm not sure whether charging the dog's owner with GBH is the right route though, although some sort of tightening of the law regarding ownership of such dogs might be a solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Idiots exist across all colours and creeds, dog walkers aren't exempt from this!
    Far from being exempt from it, they seem to be rather heavily represented in idiocy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ah German shepard's an amazing breed. They are not generally aggressive unless the owner is a complete tool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Far from being exempt from it, they seem to be rather heavily represented in idiocy.
    Not really, there's over 10 million pet dogs in Britain. Only a very tiny percentage of people are attacked by dogs each year.

I'm a dog owner myself and, sometimes, I despair at how little control and responsibility some other dog owners take for their pets.

ReputationRep:
      Sometimes my dog walks me and I bite people.
      It happens man.

ReputationRep:
      I hate it when dogs run at me and race round and round then jump up, growling and covering me in mud, and the owner just says "it's only playing..." and walks off.

EDIT: I laughed at how I got neg rep for this. I'd bet it was one of those owners.
      It also may have not been one of those owners. That is a joke by the way.

ReputationRep:
      I hate it when dogs start barking and growling at you randomly, and it doesn't help when their owners are frail people...

ReputationRep:
      I think that in any case any attack or injury resulting from an owned dog interacting with someone, should lead to the owner being charged.

All dogs should be put on leads and muzzled imo - I;ve been nipped and annoyed by dogs before - and I don't see why legally someones large dog standing in front of me growling and nipping me is any different from the owner standing in my way shouting abuse at me or slapping my head.

ReputationRep:
      My dog suffers badly from being 'aggressive on the lead' to other dogs. It's not because he's aggressive, but he's just afraid of them and the only way he thinks he can protect himself is by rearing up and screaming (its not barking - its actually the worst noise in the world )

This means we walk him at different times of day to most dog walkers to try and avoid seeing any other dogs out and about, and he also wears a muzzle during the journey from our house to the valley where we walk him.

Despite us taking every precaution, in the previous 2 months alone we've had incidents where un-leashed dogs have approached him and really upset him, sometimes resulting in a scuffle between the dogs. I find this incredibly frustrating because I am trying to be a responsible dog owner and the other dog's stupid owner being irresponsible causes my dog emotional distress and sometimes physical injuries.

Apologies for the rant xx

ReputationRep:
      Dogs are ****, cats ftw

ReputationRep:
      Some people are just stupid and irresponsible. :sadnod:

This incident would not have been reported in the media AT AL if it were a labrador or spaniel that attacked the man!

If any of you people saying that rotties etc are dangerous actually did any prior reading, you would realise how ignorant you are.
        These dogs are working machines, and because of their size and power, they unfortunately are like a... penis extender, to men.
        They are suited to much more experianced dog owners, who are able to bring up these intelligent creatures, so that they are neither aggressive nor fearful.

I often see more aggressive labradors than any other around my area.

Dogs need training, unlike cats (which are useless, selfish creatures in the average home), and unfortunately, take intelligent people to handle them correctly.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by d123)
        I see what you're saying. I personally don't see the attraction in owning those ultra-dangerous breeds of dog. I know people who have been attacked by Rottweilers etc and it's not nice - although I'm a cat person, so wouldn't want to own any sort of dog, I can see the attraction in Labradors, and others 'nice' types. Pitbulls and Rottweilers, not so much.

I'm not sure whether charging the dog's owner with GBH is the right route though, although some sort of tightening of the law regarding ownership of such dogs might be a solution.
        There's no such thing as a dangerous breed of dog, there are just big dogs with bad owners.

TBF a lot of small dogs act more dangerously, they're just too small to do anything.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
        There's no such thing as a dangerous breed of dog, there are just big dogs with bad owners.

TBF a lot of small dogs act more dangerously, they're just too small to do anything.
        This.

When my dog was attacked and seriously injured by a staff terrier the owner began to beat him with a chain... and in that moment I realised that dog was nuts because of the awful way he was treated. And I turned all my anger to the scummy idiotic owner not the psycho dog who had attacked my dog.

He had taken absolutely no precaution from keeping that dog away from others. It was off the leash and didn't even have a collar.:mad:

All I can say is thank god he didn't attack a small child. My dog survived the attack because shes tough as old boots , a young child may not have been as lucky.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own dogs :no:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ministerdonut)
        the jogger suffered thigh injuries and a ruputured testicle
        ouch! :eek:

ReputationRep:
        basically people need to learn to discipline their dogs. if they dont train their dogs well, they WILL end up like that

ReputationRep:
        Bad dogs come from bad owners, simple as. If I dog is aggressive towards people it's afraid, and it shouldn't be - that sort of behaviour comes from bad breeding and bad treatment. We never took my dog to training classes, we just treated her well and made sure she came from a respectable breeder. That and she's a labrador, and they're the most stupidly friendly dogs on the planet.

Small dogs I find annoying because they're always so yappy and aggressive to other dogs, because they're so tiny. But, I appreciate that's their nature towards other dogs.

But I have no problem if a big dog comes bounding up to me. Bigger dogs are usually friendlier, and they really are only playing. I think it's cute XD Basically people just have to treat their pets well and avoid breeds that were bred specifically for fighting. They have been bred to be aggressive.

I notice as well that 'scary' dogs that are usually more aggressive are almost always owned by complete chavs - obviously looking for a status symbol....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.