Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you tolerate backseat drivers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As per above?

Can you tolerate them or do you always feel like telling them to STFU.

ReputationRep:
    I do tell them to STFU. If they genuinely feel unsafe with my driving I might relent, but in general: It's my car and I'll drive how I want. If they don't like it then they can F Off.

ReputationRep:
    My dads the worst! Absolutely hate it when I have to drive him sometimes, but I can't say anything to my dad considering it's his car

Keep your eyes on the ****ing road and not TSR!!!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Schleigg)
      I do tell them to STFU. If they genuinely feel unsafe with my driving I might relent, but in general: It's my car and I'll drive how I want. If they don't like it then they can F Off.
      You're not one of those drivers who doesn't take reasonable care when you have passengers, are you?

Seriously, I know its your car, but you have other people's lives to consider. Drive how you want when you're in the car by yourself but if you drive recklessly with passengers you're being a bit careless. It's typical teenage/young lad behaviour that means the rest of us have to pay ££££ on our insurance premiums.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilickbatteries)
      I think you may have misunderstood Schleigg's post. He even confirms it with the sentence after; he drives in a particular way. His passengers should understand that and if they're not happy or comfortable with his style then they should air their concerns/opinions etc. Otherwise, keep their mouth stoom and let him get on with the task in hand.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Iorek)
      As per above?

Can you tolerate them or do you always feel like telling them to STFU.
      Incidentally, I'm a **** as a passenger; I'll freely admit it. I don't deliberately go out to screw the driver up but I hate the feeling of not being in control. I trust to high heaven the people who drive me around but I can't sit still, I get fidgety, anxious, probably even go as far as saying claustrophobic etc. Hence why I ride a motorbike.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilickbatteries)
      You're not one of those drivers who doesn't take reasonable care when you have passengers, are you?

Seriously, I know its your car, but you have other people's lives to consider. Drive how you want when you're in the car by yourself but if you drive recklessly with passengers you're being a bit careless. It's typical teenage/young lad behaviour that means the rest of us have to pay ££££ on our insurance premiums.
      Whoa, is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

I'm certainly NOT one of those drivers! If you read the phrase immediately preceding the one you've emboldened then that might answer your question! I drive firmly with the limits of the law.

ReputationRep:
      If you mean 'backseat driver' as in someone who tells you that you are going too slow, missed a space, your style of driving is wrong, then yes I agree they are very annoying and I would tell them to either shut up or get out my car.

However, if the driver is going to fast or being completely reckless, then I have no problem with it. If you call those type of people 'backseat drivers' then I guess I'm one

ReputationRep:
      I don't drive, but my Dad does it to my Mum whenever she drives, even though she is a very competent driver, and it even pisses me off listening to it.

The worst is when people backseat drive when you are playing Mario Kart -.-

ReputationRep:
      I almost always drive alone so do not have the pain of backseat drivers!! However I remember when my mum was teaching me to drive she was a nightmare, always shouting I was too close to the hedge or whatever, and constantly putting her foot on the brake!

I am a really bad passenger though, just because I dont trust anyone else to drive, even if there's nothing wrong with their driving. Hence I always drive everywhere myself if I can. I refuse to go in the car with my husband which I know is really terrible!

ReputationRep:
      Considering when I'm in the backseat of my friends car I usually bounce around the car without my seatbelt on to anything from rave music to David Mitchell's voice, I think I make quite the amazing backseat driver tbh.

ReputationRep:
      Cannot stand them at all. I gave a mate of mine a life back from school before he passed his test and he was telling me how to drive the whole way home.

I pulled over and made him walk he was irritating me that much. Does it really matter that I don't block change? NO!

My step-brother is the worst. He tells my step-dad how to drive and he's been driving for over 30 years! My step-brother has written off three cars too...

ReputationRep:
      Absolutely detest them.

There's a guy who lives near me who I don't like that much who told me he'd give me a fiver to pick him up from college one day (4 miles away). He wouldn't shut up and criticised every single tiny point about my driving (he's not even 17 yet). My friend was even telling him to be quiet. In the end I just stopped by the side of the road (in a safe place of course), told him to get out and drove off with his fiver.

Backseat driving is banned in my car. I'm a safe driver and I know what I'm doing, I don't need someone distracting me over totally pointless things. I drive on my own most of the time because people just can't keep their mouths shut.

ReputationRep:
        The steering wheel isn't in the backseat so your logic is falwed!

ReputationRep:
        I really cannot tolerate backseat drivers.

Worst offender is my mom, weird thing is she has wrecked 5 cars and every single car she has owned will have scuffed alloys or bumpers from kerbside. It will always be the usual you going too fast though am at the speed limit, you keeping too close to the side or she would start complaining about how all the other drivers are driving around.

My gf is not that far off, favourite comment is I am revving the engine or not changing the gears soon enough, wasting petrol or the famous one is am taking a corner too fast or a downshift was not necessary..... used to drive with her from Aberystwyth to Birmingham quite often..... and it used to be a nightmare.

These days since we share one car for our commutes to work, I make her drive both ways just so I don't have to put up with her backseat driving.

ReputationRep:
        My mum is a terrible backseat driver - always telling me I am driving too fast, or that I WILL crash the car if I go out in the snow and ice.

And of course when I confront her, she gets angry and says I am the one with the problem!!

Nevermind, I always knew she would be bad and I am pretty much used to it now!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Liam 09)
        The worst is when people backseat drive when you are playing Mario Kart -.-
        Drop your banana's! now! NOW! NOWWW!!!

Well done, Princess Peach has overtaken you now.

ReputationRep:
        My girlfriend who has never driven a car in her life insists on doing it. I'm that bad a driver.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.