Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In January or Febrauary (flexible with dates) I want to book a winter holiday with the best value for money.

We originally had our heart set on Courchevel as another friend will be out there all winter. Can this be done at reasonable expense compare to other resorts. I've been quoted £350 for all travel and 6 nights self catered accommodation. This reasonable, but I'm worried Courchevel will be too pricey in other areas eg food, hire, lift passes.

Should we forget Courchevel and go other resorts? If so any recommendations for 3 lads of mixed ability skiers and boarders,

Looking to spend a max of £600/700 all in.

Ps I've only been once before, jungfrau in switzerland

ReputationRep:
    Courchevel will be reaaaallllly expensive, especually for food and drink....
    I've been skiing in the 3 Valleys about five times, and each time we have stayed in Les Minuires, which is jsut below Val Thorens. Its probably the best resort I have ever stayed in and won't be anywhere near as expensive as Courchevel, but you can get a 3 valleys ski pass so you can ski in all of the resorts in the area (Val Thorens, Meribel, Mottaret, Courchevel). Alternatively, although it will also be quite expensive though not on the same scale as Courchevel you could go to Val Thorens which is, if you want a good night life is probably the best place to go!
    Not in the same are, you can always get budget deals in other resorts-i would recommend Tignes/Val d'isere, Les Arcs or La Plagne....
    Hope this is helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, really don't like the dea of Courchevel. We decided to start our search for a resort from scratch.

This has left a huge headache now as we have literally got a free hand.

Found a deal for £250 for Val D'isere, that any good?

ReputationRep:
    hey
    im also looking for skiing.. but from 05-12.2.2011 ... there ll be like 10 of us, and we re also looking for as cheap as we can go.
    I dont know anything about val d'isere but where did you find that cheap booking...
    I dont even know where to look for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crodesign)
    hey
    im also looking for skiing.. but from 05-12.2.2011 ... there ll be like 10 of us, and we re also looking for as cheap as we can go.
    I dont know anything about val d'isere but where did you find that cheap booking...
    I dont even know where to look for
    Saw that deal with last minute.com and in Jan. Val D'sere is meant to be one of the biggest resort, and often more expensive.

I too would rather go in Feb, but prices seem to go up for those weeks. The only deals I'm finding are for jan

ReputationRep:
    The first thing you should find out is when the best skiing season is, time in Feb may be expensive due to school holidays..... some places end up using snow machines out of season, which make for a bad snowing experience - you can't beat real snow for skiing.

Try Ryanair for deals. Northern Italy and Austria are good places to ski.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds a pretty good deal, although in terms of resorts val d'isere is fairly expensive-it is very good though, im going there in April! If your not pinned down by school holidays then completely avoid them! They are waaaaayyyy busier and much more expensive. I would recommend going at some time in february or march....
    Other good resorts for students are Mayrhoffen in Austria, Chamonix and Aroriaz, all of which are quite good!!

ReputationRep:
    oh, and if your fairly flexible with times, i recommend waiting until a few weeks before you go and then getting very good deals in the sunday times travel pages......or companies such as chrystal ski have good cheap deals! Just a few ideas for you!

ReputationRep:
    The latest news is we have all booked our annual leave for 22nd -29th Jan. This was in view of a £199 deal to La Plagne which is now sold out. How frustrating!

So back to square one with finding deals, but have the £200 mark to work towards. I'm worried if we leave it to late all the cheap accommodation will be booked up?

ReputationRep:
    Winter travel companies rape your money, you're best booking it yourself without all the hassle of middleman.

Switzerland - Davos is good for snowboarding, also check Crans-Montana, I've snowboarded in both and are excellent. Food is expensive in switzerland so be prepared to spend a lot to eat.

Other than that go to France or the Mountains in northern Italy.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    well, if your going in january, then start looking in the papers now for deals-you should get some quite good ones, especially as your going out of peak season!
    One place which i know to be fairly cheap, and where my brother went with his mates is the Mont Blanc hotel in Vallandry, Les Arcs, which is a really good resort and the hotel has good, cheap food and a really good atmosphere, but I don't know whether it would be sold out or not....you could always have a look!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.