Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's probably something really simple and I'm just being stupid.

I use Vista, and the antivirus I use is avast.

I just did one of those windows update thingys that it said was important. Then this thing came up saying the antivirus is turned off. So I clicked to turn it on and this thing comes up asking if I trust it so I say yes... and nothing happens.

I have done this several times now and apparently it is still turned off.

So I run the avast thing and it reckons it's on. But the windows security centre says it's off.

Aaahh.

ReputationRep:
    turn down the noticing function of windows security center.

I'm sure there is a setting about the way of noticing in the security center
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cellophane11)

I use Vista, and the antivirus I use is avast.

I just did one of those windows update thingys that it said was important. Then this thing came up saying the antivirus is turned off. So I clicked to turn it on and this thing comes up asking if I trust it so I say yes... and nothing happens.

So I run the avast thing and it reckons it's on. But the windows security centre says it's off.

Aaahh.
    There isn't a "security centre" on any Windows, so either you're mistaken for some form of virus, then I suggest you run a full scan with Avast.

If you see it again, upload a screenshot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    There isn't a "security centre" on any Windows, so either you're mistaken for some form of virus, then I suggest you run a full scan with Avast.

If you see it again, upload a screenshot.
    There is on mine... I can find it by going to the control panel.
    The problem seems to be fixed now though and I did a full scan and nothing was found.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:

I use Vista,and the antivirus I use is avast.

Aaahh.
    Thats your problem!
    Id hate you too, if I was forced to run vista

There is on mine... I can find it by going to the control panel.
    The problem seems to be fixed now though and I did a full scan and nothing was found.
    Thanks!
    I was fairly sure security centre was no longer with us too :confused:
    I thought it was killed along with XP.

Maybe I am wrong

ReputationRep:
    It happened something similar to me, but with Win7, using Avast. I attributed it to a bug in an Avast update. If your version of Avast is not updated it yet, try running the update and restart the computer, then see if the problem is fixed. You may also want to re-install Avast from the scratch, after uninstalling the current version on your computer.
    Vista is an unfortunate version of Windows, one of the many, actually, so no wonder you are having trouble...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.