Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody !! =)

I am currently in year 13 and will finish my A2 Levels in May/June 2011.
    I always wanted to study in Germany and I already informed myself and made sure I had chosen the right A Levels to do so.
    The problem I am facing now is that the closing date for the applications is the 15th of July, and i wont have my results by then.
    When talking to the universities they told me that if that is the case i can only apply for the wintersemester in 2012.
    But i want to go winter 2011.

Has anybody of you guys had experience with this?? and what did you do??
    I am really freaking out right now because it is actually not that long till i should know what i am going to do

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patricia.s)
    Hello everybody !! =)

I am currently in year 13 and will finish my A2 Levels in May/June 2011.
    I always wanted to study in Germany and I already informed myself and made sure I had chosen the right A Levels to do so.
    The problem I am facing now is that the closing date for the applications is the 15th of July, and i wont have my results by then.
    When talking to the universities they told me that if that is the case i can only apply for the wintersemester in 2012.
    But i want to go winter 2011.

Has anybody of you guys had experience with this?? and what did you do??
    I am really freaking out right now because it is actually not that long till i should know what i am going to do

thanks
    Things work differently in Germany. Students can only apply to universities AFTER they have completely finished school and have all their transcripts and final grades. So you wont be able to go in winter 2011. But at several universities you can start at the summer term, so this might be possible for you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how good your German is, but if you really want to study here, it certainly wouldn't be wrong to start at a Language Learning Institute before entering university.

I'm pretty sure though, that there are possibilities to start university before having all your results, depending on the course and the uni you choose. If you really want to start in 2011 no matter what, you should not let yourself down because of some Emails from the bureaucracy.
    Go directly to the professors and teachers and ask them to let you join classes. Maybe its even possible to take part in an exam which results will be dated forward. I've actually seen it.
    The problem is, huge departments are less likely to go with that.
    The introduction of electronic transcript-systems, which of course only works for immatriculated students, may be a problem.

I would advise you though, to take your time improving your language skills, its much less of a pain in the ***.

Apart from that, I'm always happy if someone wants to come here to study. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of Germans doing A Levels, so it is definitely possible. The question is only how?

Just attending lectures (I mean with examination and joining the Übungen) without paying fees and/or being immatriculated/gest listeners is official illegal (at least in Bavaria, but can't imagine it is much different in the other Länder) and should only work if you are already a student at another University.

If it is worth to take a gap year to learn the language depends on your course and previous knowledge of the language, it can be quite beneficial, but for that you have to organize something useful. (There are also half year courses for people meeting the requirements, but still feel uncomfortable to begin to study.)

ReputationRep:
    I would stick to the plan and use the extra year to really get your German up to university standard. A level German and the German you will need to write academic essays/ to present/ to understand the lecturers is very different. Remember you will be treated exactly the same as the home students. There are plenty of language courses in German universities and language institutes that are tailored towards that type of language learning. Check out DAAD and the Goethe Institute, they might have some helpful information for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.