Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does anyone else look at Graduate Jobs and feel uninspired...my perception of them is that they all seem to be "behind a desk" type of jobs where you're working in an office and doing paper work where you earn an all right sort of salary but are ultimately doing a lot of work that makes a big difference to the company rather than yourself (in terms of pay and career prospects)

For graduates who want a job that is more "people focussed", what would you recommend. I know there are Grad jobs out there in human resources but they seem to be more along the lines of admin and payroll rather than being face to face with people.

As a potential employee I see myself as good with people and creative. I am more interested in job satisfaction than getting a lot of money and responsibility straight away. Relating to this, I just can't think of any grad job out there that I could apply to that best matches these skills.

(for what it's worth, I'm training as a beauty therapist/nail technician and I'm very excited about this but also, with an MA and BA behind me, i'm also trying to keep an open mind as to what might also be out there)

Can anyone relate? What are your thoughts?

Ultimately I just don't see myself as someone who wants a desk job where you have to deal with figures in a way that comes with a lot of responsibility. If I'm mistaken about what a grad job is, then I would very much like to stand corrected and accumulate more information on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda feel the same :/

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I really do not want some boring office based job where all I do is paper shuffle, or if there is any client contact it basically involves selling something. But not all graduate jobs are like that and there are certainly more options for a people focused career than Beauty Therapist (not that that's a bad career choice)!

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys...glad I'm not the only one who's thinking this, i was starting to worry that i was being really niaeve and/or arrogant.

I decided that i wanted to do beauty when i realised that i like doing a people facing job and being creative...it just feels like a really good choice...a few people have told me that i might find it intellectually understimulating but i've found it stimulating when training so far....some bits i've found more challenging/stimulating that bits of my degree courses lol

I've also been told that I'd be good in a care job but I'm cautious that I'm not emotionally strong enough to deal with the down sides of such job...hmm, i guess i'm thinking that academic ability doesn't necessarily correlate with emotional capability

Hmm but yeah, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking along these lines!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of graduate jobs are like that and a lot of graduates get put off them. However when I look at people I graduated with, who haven't gone into graduate jobs either because they didn't want them or they couldn't get them, unfortunately they don't tend to be doing exciting jobs either! They are either working in admin departments of councils, or call centres or sales jobs, or working in coffee shops/bakerys etc. So basically they are doing routine repetitive work for about £14-15k a year whereas if they'd gone and got a graduate job they might be doing routine work for £24-25k a year.

I am sure there are interesting people focused jobs out there so I don't want to put you off, just a warning that the need to pay the rent and bills often drives the graduates who don't go into graduate jobs, into not particularly attractive other types of jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    A lot of graduate jobs are like that and a lot of graduates get put off them. However when I look at people I graduated with, who haven't gone into graduate jobs either because they didn't want them or they couldn't get them, unfortunately they don't tend to be doing exciting jobs either! They are either working in admin departments of councils, or call centres or sales jobs, or working in coffee shops/bakerys etc. So basically they are doing routine repetitive work for about £14-15k a year whereas if they'd gone and got a graduate job they might be doing routine work for £24-25k a year.

I am sure there are interesting people focused jobs out there so I don't want to put you off, just a warning that the need to pay the rent and bills often drives the graduates who don't go into graduate jobs, into not particularly attractive other types of jobs.
    thanks, when you put it this way, I would definately prefer to be disatisfied at work and well paid rather than disatisfied at work and not well paid.

if it wasn't for the fact that nails and beauty strongly appeal to me, I would feel so lost right now. I hope to follow this through and I expect to be on not much more than 15k initially (maybe even less as a newly qualified person)....hmmm but I've had some awful jobs and some great jobs (all min wageish type jobs) and how I feel about the job has always had a strong affect on how I feel generally...I place a high value on being happy at work.

As some of my older posts on here show, my initial plan was to be a music tutor but there's not a lot of call for them and I realised that after a bit of temp work that I don't like working with kids.

Eep, I've gone off on a tangent lol but yeah, when you put it this way, if my initial plan doesn't work out, what you say here is something that i'll definately bear in mind

ReputationRep:
    What did you graduate in?

ReputationRep:
    i feel the same way however ive started working for myself and make 18k per year and love what i do just because its fun exciting kind of risky and now i have to find a placement job and when i go to jobs which are paying 20k they expect the WORLD from you! its really hard to stay focused in interviews oh well

ReputationRep:
    I had numerous assessment days and interviews whilst looking for a placement year. Interviews are bearable to handle but I hate assessment days, they're really difficult to pass. I kept trying and trying to get a placement year, didn't give up but so much competition, didn't get it

Also a lot of the assessment days are hours long and far, also hate psychometric tests

The Graduate schemes and packages seem appealing though!

Well university is where you traditionally study academic subjects like history, economics, sciences, social sciences, architecture, law, or whatever.

So it is no surprise that graduate employers will be people looking for people who are looking for academic, intellectual work, as they just spent 3 years of their lives at an academic institution. It is completely logical.

Generally - if one doesn't want a graduate job - why go to university?

Just curious as maybe it is different for a language student - what would your ideal job be, if you could do anything in the world?

ReputationRep:
      I haven't read entire thread but yes I want office work/ creative business minded work/ management.

Also I can't be expected to have fun all the time and be all excited and active, sometimes have to sit behind a desk and get down to business! I wouldn't mind office work at all, as long as it isn't number crunching or atleast if there is training with the numerical side of the tasks. Up for something that earns me at the least a decent wage and where my University time has been worth it for the career pursued.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.