Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im considering looking for internships in the US for trading, been looking online but there are so many I haven't heard of before. Anyone know which ones are the best to work at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asm3k)
    Im considering looking for internships in the US for trading, been looking online but there are so many I haven't heard of before. Anyone know which ones are the best to work at?
    It's kinda hard to get internships in America considering their attitude for oversees people. You should get an advice from your uni, they might have some connections which will be a major help for you. Most major American banks have branches in the UK too, you will have a better shot here. good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Really, I had no idea. Could you elaborate on what you mean about overseas people?
    I've asked around at my university and they aren't exactly helpful... (I don't go to a particularly good uni) im just looking at my options. Doubtful I will get a job so I will apply for a masters at LSE and try to get an internship.

ReputationRep:
    I think kaosu_souzousha is refering to a popular opinion in the US that american universities are the best in the world, and the only universities outside of the US even worth acknowledging are Oxford and to a lesser extent Cambridge.

It's a bit like the attitude that some people on this message board have towards people form non-target universitites.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly my point. Also like congress once said "America should be for Americans and we will not give our jobs to foreigners". It's not very diplomatic but that's how America works. And by "oversees" I mean Europe, Asia etc. There are a lot more chances you get the same job in London.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you'll experience a number of problems when applying to the US (under the assumption that you are not a natural or dual US citizen), which shall make it virtually impossible to secure an internship in the US;

1). You'll need a work visa to work in the US, and the only way you can get this is through a firm sponsoring you (as you won't be eligible for an F1 type). The US government gives each firm a certain number of work visas a year and thats it - so banks/hedge funds reserve these work visas for when needing to hire senior employees. It'd be rare to get a sponsorship as an analyst (see points 2), let alone as a mere intern.

2). Its even more competitive in the US than it is here in London - you'll be competing against Ivy League level candidates, from the best universities in the world; period. In addition to these candidates being better qualified (though this is a subjective statement based upon my experience I accept), these candidates shall be authorised to work in the US (so no tedious admin is required by the banks) and moreover, shall have gone through the application process the 'correct' way - in the US, recruiting is done on a university-to-university basis within the Ivy League, whereas here in EU it is obviously done through a centralised online system; the US system thus makes it harder for anyone not attending the Ivy institutions to get a shot at a job etc.

My brother went through the exact same thing when he moved from London to NY (he's working at JPM over there now) - it was tough for him, and this DESPITE him actually being a dual US-UK citizen and thus being able to overcome the largest hurdle of a visa (i.e. he didn't need one). Despite doing Physics at Oxford, he was facing even tougher competition from candidates from the Ivy Leagues and he was initially rejected for an internship/analyst position in the US by JPM but quite comfortably given one in their London office. After his first year working there (because he was a US citizen), he applied for a transfer request and was accepted - though I doubt his transfer would have been accepted, had he not been a US citizen in the first place....

ReputationRep:
    It's rare but it's not impossible. A friend of mine did his summer internship at Goldman in NY, he was in his second year, studying English at Oxford. He is pretty fantastic though, so make sure you really are a cut above if you want to try for it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, useful information.

If I am not able to secure an internship in trading, would an internship in another area be ok or put me at a big disadvantage to others who managed to get an internship in trading?
    Say within a brokerage division, not exactly what I want but it would give me better insight than I have now right?

Does an internship at a BB bank always look better compared to an internship at a boutique to an employer?

ReputationRep:
    Us... Is inconveninece.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.