The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RamocitoMorales
Oh, so you're actually from Turkey? Ladies and gentlemen, we have a celebrity among us! :gasp:

That's rather odd, for a Turkish person (if you don't mind me saying so). :hmmmm2:

:rofl:

Quite the spicy combination of flavours. :sexface:

Spoiler

Does your dad wear a hat like this one?

Yes, it's Turkish.

My guess is that it was your cousin from your Iraqi side since Turkish dramas are immensely popular in the 'Arab' world. I can't speak for Pakistan.

You can't show mercy to Man. United because they'll come back and bite you like those serpents that can still bite with their heads cut off.

It was a great goal by Joel Campbell. The curl on that shot... :sogood:

No. Arsenal, actually. I thought you somehow knew when you said 'our player scored against them'. My Turkish team would be Fenerbahçe.

Lmaaoo it is isn't it?:wink: Although being Turkish is waayyy better (obviously)
&Ahaha, he does own a hat like that but he wears a hat like this one which is a proper Afghani hat;

1393371232731.jpg

Actually we are not in touch with our Iraqi family; it was mums great grandad that travelled from Iraq to Afghanistan to spread Islam and stuff and that is where he settled, had kids etc. And you have NO IDEA. So I went to Pakistan a few months ago, and all the pashtuns (Afghani's) in Pakistan watch the Turkish dramas because they don't like the bollywood stuff as it's in a different language/culture. You will be amazed at how popular they are their, FatmaGul is finished and all these new series have started, "my sultan" and stuff. My family is obsessed over there, they can't miss even one episode and everyone has a favourite series. You should be proud!

What!? Really, you support Arsenal? I have never met so many Arsenal fans tbh. Nearly everyone I know supports Chelsea:rolleyes:!

And it was just brilliant! Can't wait untill he comes back from loan. Wow.

True in a way. Although pity just shows how bad they have become. I don't want to waste my fear or caution on them. I'm not going to lie though, I'm hoping RVP has learnt his lesson and wants to come back to us.:ahee::awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisychain_
Well after having a quick stalk on here I realised that not everyone on this thread's Turkish :tongue:

We're honoured to have you among us. :adore:

daisychain_
True, everyone in turkey seems to be involved in the galata-fenerbahce rivalry somehow

Apart from the Beşiktaş, Trabzonspor, Bursaspor,...fans. :erm:

Original post by rosewater1
I'm an Arsenal supporter too :borat:

:borat:

High five!

rosewater1
but I don't watch any of the matches and I have no idea what's going on in the team so not a very good fan.

Why not? :sad:

To be fair, since coming to university I haven't been following football nearly as 'religiously' as I used to. I'm guessing with your A levels, it's hard been to devote time to football...gosh, we're making it sound like Islam! :sigh:

rosewater1
I thought Nasri was still around a few months ago.

:laugh:

Well, we replaced him with another turncoat and one of our own: every Turkish lady's favourite, a certain Mr Mesut Özil.

Spoiler

stuffsgrooveyman
Although being Turkish is waayyy better (obviously)

By definition. :smug:

stuffsgrooveyman
he does own a hat like that but he wears a hat like this one which is a proper Afghani hat;

1393371232731.jpg

Oh really? Well my dad wears a hat like this one:

Spoiler

stuffsgrooveyman
Actually we are not in touch with our Iraqi family; it was mums great grandad that travelled from Iraq to Afghanistan to spread Islam and stuff and that is where he settled, had kids etc.

Oh! So when you said your mum's side were 'originally from Iraq', I didn't think you were talking about your great great grandfather.

stuffsgrooveyman
So I went to Pakistan a few months ago, and all the pashtuns (Afghani's) in Pakistan watch the Turkish dramas because they don't like the bollywood stuff as it's in a different language/culture.

That's quite interesting. I could probably go far in Pakistan by saying 'I'm a famous Turkish actor'. It's just a pity that easyJet don't fly there. :colonhash:

But wouldn't Turkish dramas also be considered to be of a 'different language/culture', or do they think that it's closer to their culture than India's is? :holmes:

stuffsgrooveyman
What!? Really, you support Arsenal? I have never met so many Arsenal fans tbh. Nearly everyone I know supports Chelsea:rolleyes:!

Well teams like Arsenal and Tottenham have quite a large Turkish following. Chelsea, not so much.

stuffsgrooveyman
I'm not going to lie though, I'm hoping RVP has learnt his lesson and wants to come back to us.:ahee::awesome:

I doubt it, in all honesty. I'd rather see a fresh face myself.
(edited 10 years ago)
We're honoured to have you among us. :adore:

Apart from the Beşiktaş, Trabzonspor, Bursaspor,...fans. :erm:

High five!

To be fair, since coming to university I haven't been following football nearly as 'religiously' as I used to. I'm guessing with your A levels, it's hard been to devote time to football...gosh, we're making it sound like Islam! :sigh:

Well, we replaced him with another turncoat and one of our own: every Turkish lady's favourite, a certain Mr Mesut Özil.

Spoiler

By definition. :smug:

Oh really? Well my dad wears a hat like this one:

Spoiler

Oh! So when you said your mum's side were 'originally from Iraq', I didn't think you were talking about your great great grandfather.

That's quite interesting. I could probably go far in Pakistan by saying 'I'm a famous Turkish actor'. It's just a pity that easyJet don't fly there. :colonhash:

But wouldn't Turkish dramas also be considered to be of a 'different language/culture', or do they think that it's closer to their culture than India's is? :holmes:

Well teams like Arsenal and Tottenham have quite a large Turkish following. Chelsea, not so much.

I doubt it, in all honesty. I'd rather see a fresh face myself.

Yeah that's what I ment by originally. They still have retained most of their culture and (the old ones mostly parents etc) can speak Arabic but they have become accustomed to pashtun life and therefore all the kids are basically raised as normal pashtuns; which they are :/!

Well there is some kind of..not exactly rivalry...but most pashtuns I know don't like Bollywood...and it's quite hard to explain but tbh the bollywood stuff is probably closer to the culture (although they don't say asalamalaycum when they greet each other like in Turkish dramas haha)

Aha that's a pretty funkey hat. :yy:

And nah trust me, they are obsessive man! My cousin was commenting on who played each character; asli tandogan, that ginger woman; Maryam I think, Beren Saat (obviously) and almost everyone. It's sad but they would know you were a fake. :smug:

You could always try though, I mean Turkish airlines fly, right? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stuffsgrooveyman
Yeah that's what I ment by originally. They still have retained most of their culture and (the old ones mostly parents etc) can speak Arabic but they have become accustomed to pashtun life and therefore all the kids are basically raised as normal pashtuns; which they are :/!

Are they viewed with the same contempt that they would be in the UK, i.e. 'damn Pashtuns, not assimilating into our culture'? :teehee:

So do you know Urdu and Arabic (I wonder what the dialect is as well)? I suppose they use the same (or at least a similar) script as well, which would help. Turkish used to be the same, up until about 90 years ago.

stuffsgrooveyman
Well there is some kind of..not exactly rivalry...but most pashtuns I know don't like Bollywood

I can't say I blame them. A bit too much singing and dancing for my liking.

stuffsgrooveyman
and it's quite hard to explain but tbh the bollywood stuff is probably closer to the culture

Oh. :getmecoat:

stuffsgrooveyman
And nah trust me, they are obsessive man! My cousin was commenting on who played each character; asli tandogan, that ginger woman; Maryam I think, Beren Saat (obviously) and almost everyone. It's sad but they would know you were a fake. :smug:

Don't worry, I've got it all figured out. The line 'I'm from that show you haven't heard of. It's not out in Pakistan yet. It's [insert random Turkish phrase]' will come in very handy. :sly:

stuffsgrooveyman
You could always try though, I mean Turkish airlines fly, right? :biggrin:

Of course I have to fly with Turkish Airlines, if I want to look the part. :cool:

High five!

:h:

can't be bothered with it to be honest, it's true in my case that some girls just don't get the same excitement with football as the opposite gender do.
really :sigh:

Spoiler

of course! how could he be forgotten, he is :love:
Are they viewed with the same contempt that they would be in the UK, i.e. 'damn Pashtuns, not assimilating into our culture'? :teehee:

So do you know Urdu and Arabic (I wonder what the dialect is as well)? I suppose they use the same (or at least a similar) script as well, which would help. Turkish used to be the same, up until about 90 years ago.

I can't say I blame them. A bit too much singing and dancing for my liking.

Oh. :getmecoat:

Don't worry, I've got it all figured out. The line 'I'm from that show you haven't heard of. It's not out in Pakistan yet. It's [insert random Turkish phrase]' will come in very handy. :sly:

Of course I have to fly with Turkish Airlines, if I want to look the part. :cool:

Lmaaooo hahaha, no. They view themselves more as Pashtun then Iraqi and therefore the parents don't really care. They do care about the family tree though :/!
And no, I don't/can't speak Urdu. Not part of my culture. I speak pashto (the language of Afghanistan) and I am learning Arabic because it was my grandads wish for me to learn it. They don't really write in Arabic, but when they do (mum sometimes writes dua's out for me and stuff), then it's the classical version. Tbf, my mum's better/more fluent at Persian than Arabic because gran (from a place called Chitral where they speak Chitrali) loved it and would recite poetry in Persian and stuff. The Turkish 'gul' is used pretty strongly in pashto. It's known as a pashtun "thing". I mean mum calls me 'mishi gul' etc. Although pashto is a very old language (older than Urdu/Punjabi but obv not Sanskrit/Persian) it's influences come from Turkish and Persian. Urdu is also based largely on Turkish (and Arabic).

Lmaaoooo you can do this. It better work though or you'll end up getting beaten by guys who carry ak47s.

Ahahaha you can't be Turkish if you don't fly with Turkish airlines. You've got to maan. Dress nicely as well and make sure no one take's advantage of your (pretend) money and (fake) celebrity status.

Good luck:yy: and make sure you give me money and remember me when you are living the 'pakistani dream' :wink:.:awesome::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3586
Thread died again.
Original post by lNurl
Thread died again.

Lmaaoo I'll make sure this thread never dies and if that means spamming, then I will:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3588
Lmaaoo I'll make sure this thread never dies and if that means spamming, then I will:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We need Ramo and RoseWater and HWB and S-Man10 and TheGameOfScience :colone:
can't be bothered with it to be honest, it's true in my case that some girls just don't get the same excitement with football as the opposite gender do.
really :sigh:

I think you'd be surprised by the amount of boys who aren't interested in football. These girls would have something to say about it:

Spoiler

Lmaaooo hahaha, no. They view themselves more as Pashtun then Iraqi and therefore the parents don't really care. They do care about the family tree though :/!

I'd love to see you on:

Spoiler

stuffsgrooveyman
And no, I don't/can't speak Urdu. Not part of my culture.

But you speak English. :curious:

stuffsgrooveyman
I speak pashto (the language of Afghanistan) and I am learning Arabic because it was my grandads wish for me to learn it.

I want to learn Arabic myself and will probably start next year, but it does seem pretty difficult. Turkish uses a lot of Arabic loanwords, so I would already know some of the vocabulary but the similarities end there. :s:

stuffsgrooveyman
They don't really write in Arabic

Really? But according to Wikipedia the Pashto alphabet uses the Arabic script. :hmmmm2:

stuffsgrooveyman
The Turkish 'gul' is used pretty strongly in pashto. It's known as a pashtun "thing". I mean mum calls me 'mishi gul' etc.

Do you mean 'gül', which means 'rose' in English? In Turkish we say 'şey' for 'thing'. It's actually a word I use quite a lot when speaking since my vocabulary can be a little rusty.

So does your mum call you 'the thing'? :lol:

Spoiler

stuffsgrooveyman
Although pashto is a very old language (older than Urdu/Punjabi but obv not Sanskrit/Persian) it's influences come from Turkish and Persian. Urdu is also based largely on Turkish (and Arabic).

Interesting, but I doubt that either of them resemble the grammatical structure of Turkish, so I'd assume they just borrow from the vocabulary.

stuffsgrooveyman
Lmaaoooo you can do this. It better work though or you'll end up getting beaten by guys who carry ak47s.

I've not heard of AK47s being used as clubs. :laugh:

stuffsgrooveyman
Dress nicely as well

Like this guy?

Spoiler

stuffsgrooveyman
Good luck:yy: and make sure you give me money and remember me when you are living the 'pakistani dream' :wink:.:awesome::ahee:

I thought you said 'make sure no one takes advantage of your (pretend) money and (fake) celebrity status'.

I don't know who to trust anymore...

lNurl

Why are you two incapable of 'talking' amongst yourselves? :sigh:
Reply 3590

We need boys, you know :smile:

Joke aside, it's a good idea.

Hello stuffsgrooveyman
Original post by lNurl
We need boys, you know :smile:

For reproduction, yes.

Spoiler

lNurl
Joke aside, it's a good idea.

Sometimes I feel like this is 'the RamocitoMorales thread'. :rolleyes:
I think you'd be surprised by the amount of boys who aren't interested in football. These girls would have something to say about it:

Spoiler

I'd love to see you on:

Spoiler

But you speak English. :curious:

I want to learn Arabic myself and will probably start next year, but it does seem pretty difficult. Turkish uses a lot of Arabic loanwords, so I would already know some of the vocabulary but the similarities end there. :s:

Really? But according to Wikipedia the Pashto alphabet uses the Arabic script. :hmmmm2:

Do you mean 'gül', which means 'rose' in English? In Turkish we say 'şey' for 'thing'. It's actually a word I use quite a lot when speaking since my vocabulary can be a little rusty.

So does your mum call you 'the thing'? :lol:

Spoiler

Interesting, but I doubt that either of them resemble the grammatical structure of Turkish, so I'd assume they just borrow from the vocabulary.

I've not heard of AK47s being used as clubs. :laugh:

Like this guy?

Spoiler

I thought you said 'make sure no one takes advantage of your (pretend) money and (fake) celebrity status'.

I don't know who to trust anymore...

Lmaaaooo oh god this post was a brillant laugh! :yy::yy::yy:
And ahahahahah sneaky wee page 3 ref there, brilliant!:yy:
And it's hard to explain tbh. Ancestry is pretty messed up but at the end of the day I personally view myself as a British pashtun. Mums side are more complicated then dads side. They are of Iraqi heritage :/ yet they don't emphasize on the Middle eastern culture because they have slowly lost aspects of it and instead integrated into Pashtun culture and therefore this generation see themselves as more pashtun yet still proudly claim there 'roots' aha!

I don't mean it in that type of way. I don't really know if Turkey is similar but basically Pakistan is a complicated place full of many ethnic people. My ethnic people/group type are the Pashtuns who are a minority in Pakistan as their 'original' country was Afghanistan. Now in Pakistan you also have Punjabi, Urdu, Hindko, Chitrali, Balochi, Sindhi, Mirpuri and basically A LOT of languages. Nearly all these languages are linked to one another (especially Punjabi and Urdu as they are mainly of the same family/origin) apart from Balochi, pashto and chitral and a few others ( basically all of the languages north of Pakistan in the border areas with Iran, Afghanistan and China) Now if someone who natively speaks Urdu or even hindi hears someone speaking in Punjabi/Hindko/Sindhi/Mirpuri; they will identify half of the conversation yet when an udru speaker hears someone speaking chitrali/pashto/Balochi ; they will not understand any of the conversation. So what I ment by "not part of our culture" is basically, it's not my ethnic language/it's not something I grew up speaking/learning. Just like you probably can't speak Urdu (but can identify a lot of words) same with me. But then again I'd absolutely love to learn the language; it's definitely soft and elegant and imo a language of poetry. Alama Iqbal is a perfect example of this.

Ahaha what no...I don't/can't speak English. It's not in my culture obviously:rolleyes:

I think you'll find it pretty easy so go for it.

Yes, just like in Urdu, it 'borrows' from the script but not completely. There are more letters in the Pashtun alphabet then the Arabic alphabet (e.g pashto has the 'p' sound while it doesn't exist in Arabic) that being said it is fairly similar to Arabic, well really similar to Arabic (I personally struggle to read it) so I get your point brudda.

LMAAAOOO I LAUGHED A LOT AT 'THE THING' ahahahahaha. What I meant was that (the turkish 'gul') basically it's been borrowed from Turkish and now an extremely common and 'pashtunified' word; hence people seeing it as a pashtun thing to say. Get me?!
And yeah, we take it to mean rose aswell. Oh my, it would be absolutely brilliant if mum called me 'the thing'. I think I should start asking her too. Lmao but that was brilliant; well done:yy::biggrin:

I would believe so yeah although I don't know a thing about the grammatical structure.

Lmaao you'll see a lot of the aks in Pakistan, especially in the northern areas, like I said be careful mate; you don't want shot dead :mmm::mmm:

Oh and steer clear of the "F.A.T.A" areas...let's say scary stuff has happend there..

Ahaha nope; like this guy1393536748430.jpg
You know, to further that whole Turkish look; even if that look is slightly outdated. Hey you can tell them it's a period drama, they're pretty big there so it would give you a good reason without looking too dodgy.

Aah don't trust that other guy; he's bullshi**ing you. No one will steal your (pretend) money or take adva of your (fake) celebrity status. That person clearly had no idea what they're talking about:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess she just isn't as accepting as you...I get it though it's okay....:no::sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lNurl

So how is everyone?
Reply 3594
For reproduction, yes.

Spoiler

Sometimes I feel like this is 'the RamocitoMorales thread'. :rolleyes:

Nah not for reproduction, recently someone posted a thread saying that women dont need men, enough resources saved for reproduction.

And I have good appetite, therefore I am fat :smile:
Reply 3595

So how is everyone?

I'm good, you?
So glad to have found some turks on tsr!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3597
Original post by JohnsHatun
So glad to have found some turks on tsr!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome :smile:
Give us more info about itself:smile: what you study, where u study?
Original post by lNurl
I'm good, you?

Can't complain :smile:
Reply 3599
Can't complain :smile:

How is your romance with the game of science going???? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending