Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is mainstream/hollywood cinema declining in quality? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just thinking, seeing what's on in the cinema at the moment there seems to be so much in the vein of "Little Fockers" and "Gulliver's Travels" that are frankly bad films. Since the current 3D hype has begun, it seems that even less effort is expended on plot/character development than in previous years, and is instead diverted to trailers and other advertising raving about 3D.

What do you think? It would be interesting to look on a site like rotten tomatoes and see if critics are actually giving more films bad ratings than in previous years, might do that if I'm really bored.

Disclaimer: Obviously there are many exceptions and I am not trying to say all popular cinema is bad.

ReputationRep:
    Things have always been this bad.

ReputationRep:
    One word : INCEPTION

Two words: Shutter Island
      Three words: The Social Network
      Five words: Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

(Original post by Inversion)
      Just thinking, seeing what's on in the cinema at the moment there seems to be so much in the vein of "Little Fockers" and "Gulliver's Travels" that are frankly bad films. [/I]
      There's always more crap than good stuff.

Black Swan and True Grit are on their way.

ReputationRep:
      Yes, Yes it is and no Major studios, adding 3D to sucky films just make them suck even more - I didn't want to see Alvin and the chipmunks cos it was in 3D, neither will I want to see Yogi Bear, I didn't want to see Step up 3 cos it was in 3D

I wanted to see it cos it had cool, hardcore street dancing and the other 2 films were good, it's all getting a bit much

I'm also a fan of Scott Pilgrim V the world, I love how people on some internet forums adamantly say it's a hipster film for hipsters only... what a retarded argument, it just sucks that it totally bombed in the box office. I think it deserved more than what it's gotten

ReputationRep:
      Whilst there are many gems, these gems are usually floating in an ocean of rancid ****e. I would say that around 85% of Hollywood movies are crap. Some are entertaining crap, but crap nonetheless. It's so rare now to see a big Hollywood movie which isn't a sequel, prequel, remake, reboot, re-imagining, based on a TV show or a video game or a board game or a theme park ride or a toy.

Thank god we have world/independent cinema.

ReputationRep:
      For ****'s sake, I hate threads like this.

No, cinema is not declining. It has always been the way that there are more bad films than good. The only difference is that over time the bad films fall by the wayside and are forgotten, while the good ones shine through. Whereas today you are constantly made aware of the bad films. In five year's time I doubt I'll remember Dinner for Schmucks, but I certainly won't have forgotten Shutter Island.

Yes, the constant post-production 3D is annoying, but do you not think the same thing happened when colour was first introduced into cinema?

I was trying to narrow down the top 15 films of this year, and couldn't get it further down than 20. And that's without counting some of the more unusual and obscure films released. There are many, many great films still being made. All you can really do is vote with your wallet and support the films that are made well. If Inception taught studios one thing, it's that films don't have to be derivative to make a profit.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Phalanges)
      For ****'s sake, I hate threads like this.

No, cinema is not declining. It has always been the way that there are more bad films than good. The only difference is that over time the bad films fall by the wayside and are forgotten, while the good ones shine through. Whereas today you are constantly made aware of the bad films. In five year's time I doubt I'll remember Dinner for Schmucks, but I certainly won't have forgotten Shutter Island.

Yes, the constant post-production 3D is annoying, but do you not think the same thing happened when colour was first introduced into cinema?

I was trying to narrow down the top 15 films of this year, and couldn't get it further down than 20. And that's without counting some of the more unusual and obscure films released. There are many, many great films still being made. All you can really do is vote with your wallet and support the films that are made well. If Inception taught studios one thing, it's that films don't have to be derivative to make a profit.
      "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."

ReputationRep:
      I'd say it's improving if anything. It's harder for **** films to hide behind CGI now that we've seen it all before.

ReputationRep:
      I think I agree. I remember there once being a time where I could look at what's on in the cinema's and majority of the time pick a film which I was certain to enjoy. Nowadays it's more the case of waiting for the next "inception" to be released. Or maybe I just enjoy films less... :awesome:

I don't like this 3D hype though, especially the fact that there making EVERY film 3D. It was good for Avatar which was purposely made for 3D and I think it works well in children's movie's such as Ice Age 3 and Toy Story 3. But for random chick flick movie's etc. is just nonsense.

ReputationRep:
      No, I don't think that cinema is declining, but I'm getting kind of sick of 3D films, especially as a glasses-wearer which makes wearing the 3D glasses really uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
      Look at the brilliant drama American TV has produced over the last few years - pacey,gripping, action packed shows like 24, The Wire, CSI.......the list is numerous.....these are all REAL substitues for the cinema....and then think is this why the film industry is struggling. FFS, Hollywood are making another Spiderman, that's how desperate it is is. I recall reading that the top films still rake in money, but it's the median titles that struggle. Aspiring actors are perhaps more eager to be the next Jack Bauer than Tom Cruise. Film fanatics may disagree, but they're in the minority. It's the masses that cinema needs. The latest US TV import is a bigger talking point that the latest film at the cinema.

US cinema attendance 5% down on 2009
      Toy Story 3 Animated sequel Toy Story 3 was the highest grossing film in the US and Canada this year

The number of north Americans who went to the cinema in 2010 was around 5% down on the 2009 total, figures show.

Box office analysts at Hollywood.com forecast 1.35 billion tickets will be sold by the end of the year, down on the 1.42 billion sold in 2009.

It is the biggest year-on-year drop since 2005, making 2010 the second-lowest attended year of the decade.

ReputationRep:
      Two Words - The Room
      "A film with the passion of Tennesse Williams"
      "The best movie of the year"

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ikoghoo)
      One word : INCEPTION
      How about no

The most overrated film by the most pretentious director ever.

I haven't seen a decent Hollywood film since There Will be Blood, mind you Kick Ass was surprisingly awesome too.

ReputationRep:
      Apparently things have got worse because of the economic downturn. Directors don't want to take risks with anything new and exploratory. 2011 is predicted to be 'the year of the sequel'.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by maljebo)
      Two Words - The Room
      "A film with the passion of Tennesse Williams"
      "The best movie of the year"

Oh hi, Denny!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by alharrison4)
      Apparently things have got worse because of the economic downturn. Directors don't want to take risks with anything new and exploratory. 2011 is predicted to be 'the year of the sequel'.
      Absolute tosh.

ReputationRep:
      Yes IMO, we are looking at different things these days though so its not that films have stayed the same and we are more critical its that the style has changed for movies.

Its always been about expensive special effects and big name actors but these days it mostly seems that is all they are, so when one film is a little different people say that film is amazing when it is just mediocore, this is more so for films that seem philosophical or such.

EDIT : Thinking about it its more that we have such high expectations these days yet have shorter attention spans so Hollywood is more playing into merchandising a movie and money involved plus has to compete with video games and the fact that "in, is the new out" due to downloading illegal copies and people being cheapskates and rather spend money on things more direct to themselves like clothes and alchol etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
      Oh hi, Denny!
      Oh hi, Mark!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cambo211)
      Absolute tosh.
      Perhaps. But it has been on BBC News as well as Live From Studio Five, so it must have at least some grounding in fact

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.