Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

which is the best student city?? Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, which city would you chose between Nottingham and Newcastle? I see myself in a fairly large city, but havent ever seen them either properly before to know which I would prefer. I will go and visit them, I am just curious as to what other people think? And before people harp on about Nottingham "gun crime", I am really not fussed about it. My cousin studied there for a couple of years and was perfectly safe, so its not going to put me off going there...

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for Newcastle but Notts is a great city. It's a brilliant night out and like you say, it's no less safe than any other city as long as you stay in the right places. Plus it has Rock City which is a truly brilliant live music venue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    I was just wondering, which city would you chose between Nottingham and Newcastle? I see myself in a fairly large city, but havent ever seen them either properly before to know which I would prefer. I will go and visit them, I am just curious as to what other people think? And before people harp on about Nottingham "gun crime", I am really not fussed about it. My cousin studied there for a couple of years and was perfectly safe, so its not going to put me off going there...
    Newcastle easily.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpye11)
    Newcastle easily.
    how come?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol the best city

Bradford

ReputationRep:
      Newcastle

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cybergrad)
      Bradford
      Bradistan* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by +epic)
      Personally, I'd prefer Nottingham because it's southern. Prejudiced, I know ... but I have travelled in the north, and I do have a definite preference for the south of England.

ReputationRep:
      Nottingham is in the Midlands, not the south...

I'd pick Newcastle. It's such a vibrant city with tons going on, and Geordies are AWESOME!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by +epic)
      how come?
      It's a really nice city, great nightlife, friendly atmosphere...

Also most of the people I know from Newcastle think that it's the best city in the country. Same with Bristol. For me that says it all.

ReputationRep:
      Norwich
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Haha well I live in Cornwall, so where I go I am going to have to travel. I lived in Bristol city centre all of 2009 academic year, and I love the city to bits, I just hate that the uni campus is so far out, so I wont be going there again.

Newcastle does sound like an awesome city, its just that it is so far away! And I have never really lived anywhere but the very south of England, and so am obviously quite loyal to it lol...

Nottingham is a bit closer to the south, plus is also cheaper than Newcastle! I just feel like it might be a bit less vibrant...

ReputationRep:
      Leeds!!

ReputationRep:
      I've never got the appeal for notts, I've been there a few times, to the city and the uni. The uni seems great but notts the city is (no offence) a dump always chavs with pushchairs everywhere.

I'd say Newcastle, but I've never been, it was ranked the best student city though, Manchester and Bristol are supposedly brilliant too.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheSownRose)
      Personally, I'd prefer Nottingham because it's southern. Prejudiced, I know ... but I have travelled in the north, and I do have a definite preference for the south of England.
      Really, i couldn't agree more! By the way where do you summer?

I adore Kent, the countryside there is to die for! Like this one time on my gap yah......

:bhangra: Dewsbury :bhangra:

Seriously though, I would choose Newcastle from the two you've listed. My mum's friend lives in Nottingham and I felt unsafe no matter where I was, whereas Newcastle was a vibrant, bustling city with some very friendly people.
        • PS Helper
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Newcastle! Absolutely fantastic nightlife, incredibly cheap! Nottingham is not cheaper! 5 trebles for a tenner (or less)...that is 15 shots for <£10...how can you complain! Also, the shopping is great, the people are friendly, the football is awesome!

About the distance, I'm from Cambridge and ended up in Glasgow, that's a whole different country, but it still feels like home to me =D

ReputationRep:
        Newcastle! Newcastle! but then I'm biased...

ReputationRep:
        My sister is in Nottingham and mates are in Newcastle.

Newcastle all the way, but don't expect your liver to thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.