Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it easy, hard, interesting etc?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    You may struggle to get a reply on here as only 906 pupils overall took this last year. But I have had looked into some of the material covered in the course and it is among the lines of the material studied in Higher RMPS Belief and Science topic.

Also you can look at the material online to get a brief idea of what it is about (below you get a list of materials for Higher Philosophy, the top one is pretty good).
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Higher+Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Overall I found it really interesting, if you've got good essay writing skills you should be ok with the amount you need to write. Mind you I had a rubbish teacher but still found it really interesting. Along with computing it was my favourite higher last year

Be warned though, some of the philosophical questions raised will result in you developing insomnia and sitting up at 4am questioning whether you really exist...

ReputationRep:
    I get negative rep for being helpful? Sounds fair...........................:rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's a really really interesting course. Well worth taking. It's not easy though. I took it thinking I'd be able to spraff a little bit and hopefully get a good grade along the way. Not so. You end up dealing with some fairly complex arguments given the level of study, and a lot of it will just baffle you at first. If you do end up taking it though, don't give up hope when you don't understand something - I had various 'eureka' moments over the course of the year when I FINALLY understood whatever argument. It's a great course - and you feel very worldly after learning all that you do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProudScottish)
    I get negative rep for being helpful? Sounds fair...........................:rolleyes:
    I didn't give you a negative rep:confused:

ReputationRep:
    If it's anything like Higher RMPS it sounds like a bit of a skive.

Edit for negs: Only telling the truth. Got a few friends doing it this year and they don't do **** all.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what it was like too... I'm debating on what extra higher to take. At the moment I'm thinking either Philosophy, PE or geography.

I want to do AH Maths, Physics and Econ/Stats. Would Higher Philosophy be too much work along side those subjects?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    I was wondering what it was like too... I'm debating on what extra higher to take. At the moment I'm thinking either Philosophy, PE or geography.

I want to do AH Maths, Physics and Econ/Stats. Would Higher Philosophy be too much work along side those subjects?
    Depends how hard you want to work. The advantage is that there isn't any massive amount of coursework in AH Maths courses. Physics you'd have an investigation, while Econ you'd have a dissertation. Higher Philosophy is not a ridiculously easy course like some think it is. Think about whether you really need that extra higher, and whether taking it could potentially hinder your grades in your Advanced Highers. At the end of the day it really is your choice and depends on how much you are willing to put into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wawa1906)
    Depends how hard you want to work. The advantage is that there isn't any massive amount of coursework in AH Maths courses. Physics you'd have an investigation, while Econ you'd have a dissertation. Higher Philosophy is not a ridiculously easy course like some think it is. Think about whether you really need that extra higher, and whether taking it could potentially hinder your grades in your Advanced Highers. At the end of the day it really is your choice and depends on how much you are willing to put into it.
    Well actually it be Cambridge Pre-U economics so I wouldn't have to do a dissertation, thank goodness!

I know that higher geography has a lot of information to take in but I did it at GCSE so it wouldn't be crash... same with PE I did that at GCSE level but I'm only doing Critical thinking (part of higher philosophy) this year... It might be more work for me because it would be a crash higher.

I'm very strong at Maths so I doubt that an extra higher would hinder that grade. I think I'm just going to see how I do in my pre-lims then think about it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Well actually it be Cambridge Pre-U economics so I wouldn't have to do a dissertation, thank goodness!

I know that higher geography has a lot of information to take in but I did it at GCSE so it wouldn't be crash... same with PE I did that at GCSE level but I'm only doing Critical thinking (part of higher philosophy) this year... It might be more work for me because it would be a crash higher.

I'm very strong at Maths so I doubt that an extra higher would hinder that grade. I think I'm just going to see how I do in my pre-lims then think about it again.
    I would agree, as someone who has done Geography there is a lot of stuff to memorise, much more than Philosophy. Although the Geography stuff was easier for me to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    What course or universities will you be applying to? It depends on how much work you want to shift away from the Advanced Highers. If you're debating between the highers, I would recommend Philosophy over the others. I found it really ... fulfilling as a subject.

But I'm biased.
    I'll be applying for a Maths course at University, at the moment I'm just thinking of applying for a single honor maths course. I did think about doing Maths with/and something but wasn't too sure.

Depending on how I do in my highers, I'm hoping to apply to Oxford and Warwick. Otherwise I want to definitely apply to St. Andrews.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.