Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I’m quiet. But its not that I am shy or don’t have confidence- I can make perfectly good conversations with people when I want to. But the thing is, I just like being quiet. I have always been the quiet type since I was a child. I love being around people but I just don’t feel the need to talk all the time; I do interact with people and join in now and then, but usually I just prefer not to and then people ask me if I am okay or that they hope I become more talkative when I grow up or go to uni or something.

I don’t have a problem with being quiet; it’s never restricted me in any way.

Why do people have a problem with people who tend to be quiet? …I just wanted people’s opinions on this.

(I didn’t quite know where to post this btw … so sorry if it is completely out of place)

ReputationRep:
    Quiet people tend to come across boring, of course that doesn't mean you're boring, but it honestly looks that way. And also quiet people are deemed un-confident and anti-social, well in actual fact they probably just like being quiet, you're like my mum.

I'm the loudest guy ever, always talking loud full of confidence, but sometimes I like to just chill alone with music and some fast-food and yeahh... everyone's different.

EDIT : Also if someone doesn't like how you are, tell them to **** off. Never change yourself to suit other people's needs, you're how you are

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much the same. I like my own company after a while with other people, and even when I'm with them I don't feel the need to be loud and constantly talking.

You shouldn't see it as a bad thing - if they're asking if you're okay, clearly they're just worried or want to know you're enjoying yourself. People look like they're having more fun if they're joining in the conversation; if you're withdrawn and quiet, you might look like you don't really want to be there, even though that's not really the case. To some - particularly extroverts - it can come across as unusual, but once they get to know you as a person they tend to get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty similar to you,and I also get people asking me whether I'm alright or if I'm upset,which can get quite irritating after a while.I have friends,and I have fun,I just dont feel the need to be loud :P My guidance teacher in school once asked me to speak to her as she was worried I was depressed as she had often seen me being quiet and not talking much around school,and she found it hard to understand I liked being quiet.If you are happy the way you are,(seems you are) then I see no reason to change. sorry for the total life story going on here,I just felt I could totally relate to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit like that too. Sometimes when I'm in company I still like to be quiet. Some people don't seem to be able to deal with companiable silence, as they feel like any silence is uncomfortable. My Dad and I can sit together for ages without talking and it doesn't feel weird, but my mam can't sit in silence. Everyone is different. If you are happy being quiet then I don't see any problem with it .

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with being quiet. Better than being loud mouthed and over opinionated like the majority of people I seem to meet these days.

ReputationRep:
    Me too. I'm friends with similar people. Being able to be quiet in each others presence is a sign of how comfortable you are with each other ,I think. It doesn't feel weird at all. But other people notice it sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like you, too. I was constantly branded as not having enough confidence by people who were so extroverted and self centred, they had/have trouble seeing past the length of their own nose. These are people who think there is something wrong with people who are unlike themselves - essentially, not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm like that too. I can sit there for ages in a group without feeling the need to talk at all.
    It's lost me countless friends, because they find me boring. I can have a perfectly decent conversation with someone, and I'm not shy, I just prefer to be quiet.
    Then they find it out of the ordinary when I do talk and act all surprised.
    Hate being branded as the quiet one.

ReputationRep:
    Wow ... i didn't know so many people were in the same situation...it feels good to know that I am not the only one...thanks everyone...much appreciated.

(Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)

EDIT : Also if someone doesn't like how you are, tell them to **** off. Never change yourself to suit other people's needs, you're how you are

Good luck
    Hahaa ... I'll say that next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodledoo1)
    Wow ... i didn't know so many people were in the same situation...it feels good to know that I am not the only one...thanks everyone...much appreciated.

Hahaa ... I'll say that next time.
    OP - You need to understand you're not in a situation, you're creating a situation by thinking that people should act a certain way in public or just conform with everyone else. You're fine lol stop stressing, I'm alone right now, just chillin on the comp yanoe it's all bless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    OP - You need to understand you're not in a situation, you're creating a situation by thinking that people should act a certain way in public or just conform with everyone else. You're fine lol stop stressing, I'm alone right now, just chillin on the comp yanoe it's all bless
    Yeah .. I guess you're right ... I am happy the way I am.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenfly125)
    I'm like that too. I can sit there for ages in a group without feeling the need to talk at all.
    It's lost me countless friends, because they find me boring. I can have a perfectly decent conversation with someone, and I'm not shy, I just prefer to be quiet.
    Then they find it out of the ordinary when I do talk and act all surprised.
    Hate being branded as the quiet one.
    That's one of my tactics actually, I act all quiet, then when I do talk I blurt out some funny **** and it's more suprising to them :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.