Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are private schools corrupting our youth? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is not your stereotypical "private schools suck because they have school uniforms, whereas public schools rock because they don't" thread. This is looking at more important issues, such as religious, individual, sexual, romantic, and creative repression.

Religious schools force kids and teens to follow a certain religious belief. When you're a child you are consequently forced or at the very least severely encouraged to believe in God at religious schools. Then when that kid grows up and becomes a teenager and adult, they are typically the religion they were forced to be as due to their schooling. If your parents force you to go to a Muslim school, then you'll most likely be Muslim, even if as a teenager in a Muslim high school, you don't want to be a Muslim and you don't believe in Islam.

Also, all-boys and all-girls schools, and consequently school uniforms prohibit healthy growth for teenagers. Could you imagine how impossible it would be to go through puberty when you're only surrounded by males? It's like forcing them to become homosexual and repressing their ability to form relationships and explore their sexuality like normal teenagers do. Since they force teens to wear school uniforms, they repress individuality and creativity as well. They also teach one-sided biased information, such as "Islam is the only real religion" and stuff like that. Also bear in mind that students who go to private schools are socially challenged, because they lack understanding for how the public world works, since they are forced to wear school uniforms and go to private schools instead of mingling with the general population.

Students who attend private schools often grow up to become less tolerant than students who attend public schools, as you can see here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/30/opinion/30blow.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaturnVengeance)

Also, all-boys and all-girls schools, and consequently school uniforms prohibit healthy growth for teenagers. Could you imagine how impossible it would be to go through puberty when you're only surrounded by males? It's like forcing them to become homosexual and repressing their ability to form relationships and explore their sexuality like normal teenagers do. Since they force teens to wear school uniforms, they repress individuality and creativity as well. .
    Actually its the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little_My)
    Actually its the opposite. In my experience, it was extremely scary to be gay in my all girls school. People expected you to be perfect, straight students and people are usually victimised if you are found D:
    True - I think you are more likely to be judged for being homosexual in a single-sex school.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

but on topic, now I don't actually have a social life, but for everyone else life does extend beyond school you know
    and how do school uniforms repress creativity

This is not your stereotypical "private schools suck because they have school uniforms, whereas public schools rock because they don't" thread. This is looking at more important issues, such as religious, individual, sexual, romantic, and creative repression.

Religious schools force kids and teens to follow a certain religious belief. When you're a child you are consequently forced or at the very least severely encouraged to believe in God at religious schools. Then when that kid grows up and becomes a teenager and adult, they are typically the religion they were forced to be as due to their schooling. If your parents force you to go to a Muslim school, then you'll most likely be Muslim, even if as a teenager in a Muslim high school, you don't want to be a Muslim and you don't believe in Islam.

Also, all-boys and all-girls schools, and consequently school uniforms prohibit healthy growth for teenagers. Could you imagine how impossible it would be to go through puberty when you're only surrounded by males? It's like forcing them to become homosexual and repressing their ability to form relationships and explore their sexuality like normal teenagers do. Since they force teens to wear school uniforms, they repress individuality and creativity as well. They also teach one-sided biased information, such as "Islam is the only real religion" and stuff like that.
      Poor arguments as they are false. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
      I go to a private school and everything that you have said is false or misguided.

ReputationRep:
      Most schools have school uniforms, there are relatively few religious secondary schools, private or not, and there are many single sex schools which aren't private.

You are a moron OP.

i went all my school career to a private school and wearing uniform didn't repress my individuality nor creativity. I consider myself as very creative. My private school is very liberal and therefore i have no experience with forcing religious beliefs on me. but i guess it depends, and if you let that happen it might also mean that you have very little free will

ReputationRep:
        uh, pretty much ALL schools, regardless of state or private have school uniforms.
        Also i'm fairly sure most religious schools are state, just funded through a religious organisation.
        The one near us (catholic) makes it's kids sing hymns on a monday, and thats about it - bit like primary school really, it's not corrupting anyone.
        Although separate boys and girls.. thats a no for me :L

ReputationRep:

Also, all-boys and all-girls schools, and consequently school uniforms prohibit healthy growth for teenagers. Could you imagine how impossible it would be to go through puberty when you're only surrounded by males? It's like forcing them to become homosexual and repressing their ability to form relationships and explore their sexuality like normal teenagers do. Since they force teens to wear school uniforms, they repress individuality and creativity as well. They also teach one-sided biased information, such as "Islam is the only real religion" and stuff like that.

I actually quite think the opposite really because you are actually taught to respect other people's views regardless of differences etc...
        And in single-sex schools you are actually scared of becoming a gay so people tend to go with the flow or mostly keep it to themselves.

ReputationRep:
        I don't think uniforms suppress creativity, but in the school I went to what you wore out of school was judged as a uniform as sorts, as in you always had to look the same (backcombed hair, designer bags) as other people other wise again, would victimise you.
        When I shaved my head and dyed the rest of it purple it did not go down well... So I think its the environment the student cultivate is what suppresses creativity.

ReputationRep:
        No. **** off.

ReputationRep:
        I wouldn't consider it "forcing", I think that's abit of a strong word. Conditioning maybe,but force implies resistance, which there necessarily may not be. In fact, most, if not all of the religious people I have spoken to have said they are thankful for eing raised in their religion and sent to religious schools, as otherwise they may not be part of the faith that they appreciate. I'm an atheist, but I can appreciate for an individual, faith can be a very, very satisfying thing.

Irrelevant of what school a child goes to there is always going to be a process of socialization.

Oh, and in fairness, looking back at class pictures, everyone in high school dressed like ****. Honestly, I think school uniforms confined the extent we could express of "creativity" to a point manageable and healthy for us. I dread to think what some people would have turned up looking like if we were given free reign.

ReputationRep:
        This thread appears to be referring to American private schools.

ReputationRep:
        I know plently of non religious people that went to religious schools. I think you're mixing cause and effect here. If you have, for example, strict Catholic parents and thus you are sent to a strict Catholic school, is that more of the parents causing religion to be emposed on you than the school? The schools are there due to the demand for them.

Could you imagine how impossible it would be to go through puberty when you're only surrounded by males? It's like forcing them to become homosexual and repressing their ability to form relationships and explore their sexuality like normal teenagers do.
        I wouldn't say that guys who went to all male schools will go gay. A lot of them do form relationships because they have lives outside of schools... Though I'm not going to argue with you too much. I agree with you that non mixed schools can be a bit detrimental.

Since they force teens to wear school uniforms, they repress individuality and creativity as well. They also teach one-sided biased information, such as "Islam is the only real religion" and stuff like that.
        In the UK you are forced to wear uniforms in most schools.

Also bear in mind that students who go to private schools are socially challenged, because they lack understanding for how the public world works, since they are forced to wear school uniforms and go to private schools instead of mingling with the general population.
        Hence the Conservative party :rofl:

ReputationRep:

Also, all-boys and all-girls schools, and consequently school uniforms prohibit healthy growth for teenagers. Could you imagine how impossible it would be to go through puberty when you're only surrounded by males? It's like forcing them to become homosexual and repressing their ability to form relationships and explore their sexuality like normal teenagers do. Since they force teens to wear school uniforms, they repress individuality and creativity as well. They also teach one-sided biased information, such as "Islam is the only real religion" and stuff like that. Also bear in mind that students who go to private schools are socially challenged, because they lack understanding for how the public world works, since they are forced to wear school uniforms and go to private schools instead of mingling with the general population.

Students who attend private schools often grow up to become less tolerant than students who attend public schools, as you can see here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/30/opinion/30blow.html
        Believe it or not, the world of the rich is real as well. It's not goddam Narnia.

ReputationRep:
        I attended a single-sex private school.

I'm neither homosexual nor socially challenged. Sorry to disappoint you, OP.

ReputationRep:
        massive generalisation thread of the week winner methinks!

ReputationRep:
        This is not your stereotypical "private schools suck because they have school uniforms, whereas public schools rock because they don't"

[...]also, all-boys and all-girls schools, and consequently school uniforms prohibit healthy growth for teenagers.
        Most state schools have uniforms.

ReputationRep:
        I just thinks it's unfair for people who can't afford it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.