Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    //

ReputationRep:
    To actually do something good with my life.

ReputationRep:
    Being the oldest I have expectations slammed on me.

The youngest just has to deal with 'aspire to be like your older sibling'.

ReputationRep:
    Well the pressure is on for me..sister just graduated from medicine, just engaged to an actuary
    Big bro last year of pharmacy and has got a job secured for next year in the pharmacy of the year....
    Im sort of expected to not work in a supermarket the rest of my life ...

ReputationRep:
    Err nothing really. I guess it's different for people who have an older sibling who's a high achiever.

ReputationRep:
    Not a lot, since my brother's a bit of a dosser and serial underachiever :borat:

ReputationRep:
    To be the prodigal child. FML.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stewpot20)
    Well the pressure is on for me..sister just graduated from medicine, just engaged to an actuary
    Big bro last year of pharmacy and has got a job secured for next year in the pharmacy of the year....
    Im sort of expected to not work in a supermarket the rest of my life ...
    Lol your sister sounds quite a bit like mine from the above post :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Being the oldest I have expectations slammed on me.

The youngest just has to deal with 'aspire to be like your older sibling'.
    'Just'?! :O My two big sisters both were serial overachievers - on my first day at high school (the same one as both of them) EVERY ONE of my teachers were like 'Oh, you're ____'s and _____'s sister? Are you going to be as amazing a student as they are?'

11 year old me: :confused:

Then they both went to Oxford and even though my parents were totally cool about whether I got in or not, if I hadn't got in this year I would have felt like absolute crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piya21)
    'Just'?! :O My two big sisters both were serial overachievers - on my first day at high school (the same one as both of them) EVERY ONE of my teachers were like 'Oh, you're ____'s and _____'s sister? Are you going to be as amazing a student as they are?'

11 year old me: :confused:

Then they both went to Oxford and even though my parents were totally cool about whether I got in or not, if I hadn't got in this year I would have felt like absolute crap.
    I'm a prospective Oxford applicant, it's just that 'aspire' is a pretty nice euphemism for 'lol you're not good enough, your older sibling is so much better'.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I can't speak from experience in BEING a youngest sibling, because I'm not, I'm an only child.

However I have three children. I honestly can't say that my expectations of my youngest child is any different to my expectations were of my other children at the same age.

I mean, currently I expect different things of my eldest to my youngest, but that's perfectly normal, my eldest is 5 and my youngest is 15 months.

My eldest is doing really well at school and is being moved up a class, but I don't expect my other two children to be the same. My middle child, well I'm almost certain he won't be the same, but that's okay, as long as he does his best that's all I could ask. And it's exactly the same for my youngest. As long as he tries his best in life, that's all I could ask for.

I want my children to be happy, and I acknowledge that all children are different. They want to do different things, some are more academic than others, some develop at different times, I try not to compare them.

I expect my eldest to set a good example for her younger brothers though, in terms of her behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a prospective Oxford applicant, it's just that 'aspire' is a pretty nice euphemism for 'lol you're not good enough, your older sibling is so much better'.
    Haha, I get what you mean - it was the same for me, even when I beat them in my GCSEs and A Levels. My mum said just last night: 'Well, exams are getting easier.'

Ah good luck! Which college/course are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piya21)
    Haha, I get what you mean - it was the same for me, even when I beat them in my GCSEs and A Levels. My mum said just last night: 'Well, exams are getting easier.'

Ah good luck! Which college/course are you thinking of applying to?
    Haha, by the way, congratulations on your offer!

I'm not too sure on colleges yet, but I'm thinking of applying to read PPE, so maybe St. Anne's? I think I'll have a better idea when I visit them individually.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, by the way, congratulations on your offer!

I'm not too sure on colleges yet, but I'm thinking of applying to read PPE, so maybe St. Anne's? I think I'll have a better idea when I visit them individually.
    Ah, thank you!
    PPE sounds good - I know a couple of people that are reading it (St John's and Keble) and they absolutely love it! Good luck for it all - Power to the younger siblings!

ReputationRep:
    I have never felt pressured at all, my parents understand that me and my brother are very different

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.