Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For the past month or so I've been sleeping loads. And I mean loads. I'm averaging about 14 hours a night and even then I still don't feel like I'm awake. I sleep through alarms, people coming in and waking me up, everything. It's doing my head in! I even missed lectures last semester because I just slept through them, and I'd set about 8 alarms to wake me up :erm:

It's been going on since I was ill about a month ago, any tips/help etc? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Post-viral fatigue syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    It could possibly be due to lack of iron, which could result in Anaemia, one of the symptoms are tiredness.

To boost your iron levels, you could speak to your doctor about giving you iron tablets. Green leaves are rich in iron, as are eggs and potatoes.

Just an idea. Not certain if that's what it is, it could also be lacking of another vitamin. Hope it helped.

ReputationRep:
    often an after effect of illnesses is fatigue, basically youll always feel tired, sleep more and have less energy.
    can last for months, but is helped by good diet, fruits and keeping hydrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    It could possibly be due to lack of iron, which could result in Anaemia, one of the symptoms are tiredness.

To boost your iron levels, you could speak to your doctor about giving you iron tablets. Green leaves are rich in iron, as are eggs and potatoes.

Just an idea. Not certain if that's what it is, it could also be lacking of another vitamin. Hope it helped.
    Thanks. I get loads of those foods, but I'll take a multi vitamin just in case :yep: (They have 100% of the RDA of iron so might help :dontknow:)

(Original post by screenager2004)
    Sounds like Post-viral fatigue syndrome.
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    often an after effect of illnesses is fatigue, basically youll always feel tired, sleep more and have less energy.
    can last for months, but is helped by good diet, fruits and keeping hydrated
    Thanks. Maybe it is? It has been since then but hopefully it won't last months! I have exams and classes to go to! :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Why do people always jump onto the internet for medical advice? See a doctor, they don't bite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackspur)
    Why do people always jump onto the internet for medical advice? See a doctor, they don't bite!
    I'm far away from my GP, they're not open anyway and it's no way serious enough to see them! I'm not exactly dying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I'm far away from my GP, they're not open anyway and it's no way serious enough to see them! I'm not exactly dying!
    If it's been going on for a month then I'd say it's justifiably serious enough. My friend had something similar, turned out she had glandular fever (she wasn't getting the more aggressive symptoms, just the exhaustion).
    Though if your GP is miles away then fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    For the past month or so I've been sleeping loads. And I mean loads. I'm averaging about 14 hours a night and even then I still don't feel like I'm awake. I sleep through alarms, people coming in and waking me up, everything. It's doing my head in! I even missed lectures last semester because I just slept through them, and I'd set about 8 alarms to wake me up :erm:

It's been going on since I was ill about a month ago, any tips/help etc? :puppyeyes:
    I was the same, I could sleep forever if nobody was there to wake me up. I'd sleep for more than 12 hours, wake up and have breakfast, then go back to bed until woken up in the evening. I got my blood tested, turns out I'm anaemic (I was apparently always 'borderline' as a child, but I'd cut meat out of my diet and it caused havoc). As for taking iron pills... I'm not sure whether it helps or not, but i'll try to think that it does, so I can get the placebo effect :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    You really should see a doctor!

When I was anaemic I would sleep probably 10 hours but I'd feel exhausted all day, I would watch an hour long program and a minute later not remember what I just watched... it was like I wasn't really there at all.
    You should try and get a blood test though instead of diagnosing yourself, so you actually know what's going on.

P.S. Multi-vitamins are a waste of money invented for gullible Americans, don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    Same here! Last night I even dreamed about being asleep, that's how much I love sleep.

ReputationRep:
    There could be a number of reasons. I think most students are exhausted most of the time because the lifestyle is either none stop or stop all the time with depressing amounts of work or lonliness. Not to mention the lack of vitamins the standard student diet provides.

Most basic advice I'd give is just to say:

-get no more than 10 hours a night and in the day drink at least 7 glasses of water
    -have at least 3 meals a day (taking a daily vitamin)
    -Eat your 5 a day
    -Get some exercise i.e. even just strole to the shop in daylight will invigorate you (winter blues could be making you feel this way)

Stick to it even if you've done it for a while and feel better because these are some of the most basic good healthy habits to be in anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Certain medications can **** with sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    You really should see a doctor!

When I was anaemic I would sleep probably 10 hours but I'd feel exhausted all day, I would watch an hour long program and a minute later not remember what I just watched... it was like I wasn't really there at all.
    You should try and get a blood test though instead of diagnosing yourself, so you actually know what's going on.

P.S. Multi-vitamins are a waste of money invented for gullible Americans, don't bother.
    I was tested for anaemia a little while back (I'm really pale so GPs like to check :rolleyes:) and apparently I'm fine.

Haha, they make me feel like I'm at least considering looking after my health though

(Original post by ilovepolska)
    Same here! Last night I even dreamed about being asleep, that's how much I love sleep.
    Haha :hugs:

(Original post by Ebony19)
    There could be a number of reasons. I think most students are exhausted most of the time because the lifestyle is either none stop or stop all the time with depressing amounts of work or lonliness. Not to mention the lack of vitamins the standard student diet provides.

Most basic advice I'd give is just to say:

-get no more than 10 hours a night and in the day drink at least 7 glasses of water
    -have at least 3 meals a day (taking a daily vitamin)
    -Eat your 5 a day
    -Get some exercise i.e. even just strole to the shop in daylight will invigorate you (winter blues could be making you feel this way)

Stick to it even if you've done it for a while and feel better because these are some of the most basic good healthy habits to be in anyway.
    Yeah, might just be down to being a fresher I guess. It certainly is a lot of work!

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Certain medications can **** with sleeping.
    I'm been on it for ages though. I have been a bit lax with taking it lately mind you :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Go to your GP and get a blood test done?

Could be anaemic due to some other underlying problem.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.