The Student Room Group

The economist

Should I become a reader? I am interested in business and current affairs, but not sure if its worth it.

Any readers on TSR?
Reply 1
Definitely. You can get 12 issues for £12, and a free 1GB memory stick. The magazine itself is really good, especially if you want to keep up with the world. My subscription has lapsed, but I keep getting the Politics This Week emails. Definitely invest in it.
Reply 2
Yep, you should.

The quality of journalism is unmatched - and it covers your areas of interest perfectly.
Reply 3
Original post by blatchcorn
Should I become a reader? I am interested in business and current affairs, but not sure if its worth it.

Any readers on TSR?

yeah had it for a bit last year and now on the 12 for £12 deal it's pretty good :biggrin:
and more detailed than most newspaper rubbish
Reply 4

Any readers on TSR?

I read it, but only because there was an offer for students (£2 for 30 copies). But generally, yes it is a good read. The 'leaders' (focus articles of the weak) are in-depth but easy to understand.
Reply 5
I have to say it is the best magazine I have ever subscribed to, I find that it in fact saves money because rather than needing to buy a daily paper I can get away with only receiving my economist. Also it has some really interesting special quarterly supplements, such as technology, which provide you with interesting insights into a number of areas that I wouldn't usually go and research.
Reply 6
It's really good, but I don't pay for it. I browse the site (there is an article per week limit, though) and the weekly copy is fortunately kept in my college's library.

It's excellent, though, and worth paying for.
waste of money

get a subscription to the financial times instead at 50p a day. Get news on economics plus business/finance where the economist is lacking
Reply 8
Wow it sounds good. Is it still worth keeping up with my online news though? It would seem weird relying on a monthly magazine - does it ever seem out of date?
Reply 9

Wow it sounds good. Is it still worth keeping up with my online news though? It would seem weird relying on a monthly magazine - does it ever seem out of date?

It's weekly, not monthly. I find that reading daily newspapers is a waste of time.

Quick Reply