Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    T-MOBILE

Handset: £59.99
    Monthly cost: £15:00

300 cross-network mins + 300 texts + Unlimited data • 24 months

Would this be a good move?

The issue is it's T-mobile. They've just joined with Orange for better signal now so I suppose that's not as bad as in the past, but do you think this is a good deal to get?

Also I'd want a new skin for it as it's white.

Thanks =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    T-MOBILE

The issue is it's T-mobile. They've just joined with Orange for better signal now so I suppose that's not as bad as in the past, but do you think this is a good deal to get?

Thanks =]
    yup that's not a bad deal tbh.
    and the t-mobile/orange relationship is pretty awsome, I havn't lost signal in ages.
    Although I had to specifically "opt in" to it by texting in, so I'm not sure If you automatically get both..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    yup that's not a bad deal tbh.
    and the t-mobile/orange relationship is pretty awsome, I havn't lost signal in ages.
    Although I had to specifically "opt in" to it by texting in, so I'm not sure If you automatically get both..
    I am on Orange at the moment and I had to text to opt in too, though I have to say my signal doesn't go out at all now.

I have heard that they're both experiencing problems with their 3G signal currently though.

I'm just a little unsure about going for it for 24 months. I've been on T-mobile before the join and it was useless. I'll miss out on all the perks with Orange too, but the deal is so cheap... Ugh!

ReputationRep:
    That's an amazin deal, I am on Orange with my Desire, I'm sorta thinking i should have gone with 3g I dunno. Unlimited data is excellent

ReputationRep:
    I am on Orange at the moment and I had to text to opt in too, though I have to say my signal doesn't go out at all now.

I have heard that they're both experiencing problems with their 3G signal currently though.

I'm just a little unsure about going for it for 24 months. I've been on T-mobile before the join and it was useless. I'll miss out on all the perks with Orange too, but the deal is so cheap... Ugh!
    yeah, that could be an issue.
    The Desire is already nearly a year old (cam out feb 2010 I think) so after 24 months It will be neigh on 3 years old. The first few months will defiantly be worth the contract payment, but after a year or so probably not, especially when you could probably get the phone sim free for dirt cheap and then get a sim only contract...
    The deal itself is very good and so is the phone and from my experiences T-mobile isn't that bad, but the 24 month thing is a bit of a commitment..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    That's an amazin deal, I am on Orange with my Desire, I'm sorta thinking i should have gone with 3g I dunno. Unlimited data is excellent
    I really do want to stay with Orange. Are you paying a lot more for your contract?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that could be an issue.
    The Desire is already nearly a year old (cam out feb 2010 I think) so after 24 months It will be neigh on 3 years old. The first few months will defiantly be worth the contract payment, but after a year or so probably not, especially when you could probably get the phone sim free for dirt cheap and then get a sim only contract...
    The deal itself is pretty good and so is the phone and from my experiences T-mobile isn't that bad, but the 24 month thing is a bit of a commitment..
    That's a good point too. :hmmmm:

This is even more difficult now haha. I think I'd not want to be paying more than this kind of price for that very reason really. I do love the phone so I can see myself staying with it. I know it's silly but it's really just the T-mobile part that's holding me back! But if it's not causing other people problems I might well consider it.

ReputationRep:
    I really do want to stay with Orange. Are you paying a lot more for your contract?
    £25 but I didn't have to pay for the phone

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point too. :hmmmm:

This is even more difficult now haha. I think I'd not want to be paying more than this kind of price for that very reason really. I do love the phone so I can see myself staying with it. I know it's silly but it's really just the T-mobile part that's holding me back! But if it's not causing other people problems I might well consider it.
    Well I've had t-mobile for the last few years and its been absolutely fine, only issue is I often had poor signal at home as I live on the top on a big hill lol, but since the orange merger its been fine as my area seems to be best served by orange. To be honest this new merger will mean tmobile/orange will actually have the widest ranging network coverage in the UK..

ReputationRep:
    Well I've had t-mobile for the last few years and its been absolutely fine, only issue is I often had poor signal at home as I live on the top on a big hill lol, but since the orange merger its been fine as my area seems to be best served by orange. To be honest this new merger will mean tmobile/orange will actually have the widest ranging network coverage in the UK..
    Ok then I think I'm pretty much decided. If I don't find anything actually cheaper I'll get this one. Thanks for your opinions!

ReputationRep:
    If you get a contract with T-Mobile through a third party retailer you'll only get 1gb data and your speeds will be capped - best to look up about this before you go through with the contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    The Wildfire is available on T Mobile for £75 up front, £15 per month 24 month contract, with 300 mins, 300 texts (with unlim booster attached) and unlim internet (1 GB per month).
    So you can choose between Desire and Wildfire if you so wish
    I just bought the Wildfire yesterday

EDIT: it also comes with a 2 year manufacturing guarantee, so unless i tread on it/ kick it/ drop it in the bath, anything that goes wrong will be fixed for me
    In all fairness though, the Wildfire is pretty poor in comparison with the Desire - half the processing speed and screen quality really let it down... then again, you can get the Wildfire for a third of the price so maybe its worth it.

T-MOBILE

Thanks =]
    OP: Looks like the best deal I've seen for the Desire to be honest. Yeah, 24 months is a pretty big deal but I took one out this time last year and its still looking pretty good - £15 for 300 mins and unlimited texts, but I've added 500mb internet for another £5 a couple of days ago and that price is still pretty competitive. Unlimited data? You'd be mad to turn that down, although there will be a fair usage policy somewhere that will limit to you to a few GB I would've thought.

Anyway, the only downsides I can see is the T-mobile aspect since their signal is notoriously bad and 300 texts wouldn't last me long at all either. £60 for the Desire is crazy good though, I'm looking at £340 to get one on a sim free basis If I were you I'd go into the shop/ring them and see if they'll let you change the 300 texts to 1000/unlimited in exchange for reducing the data usage (unless of course you intend to use tons of internet). By showing them that you're almost ready to enter into a 24 month contract and the texts thing is a deal breaker, you'd be surprised what kind of changes they may make. Obviously, 300 texts/month might be fine for you though so ignore be if that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    T-MOBILE

Thanks =]
    Yeah when they say 'data' they mean 1GB
    And 300 texts isn't much :/

Apart from that it's pretty good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    T Mobile give you a free "booster" of extra data or unlimited texts etc. so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Not sure if you get it if you get your phone through a third-party retailer

ReputationRep:
    Tmobile is fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Yeah when they say 'data' they mean 1GB
    And 300 texts isn't much :/

Apart from that it's pretty good
    I've actually had this contract for about a week or more now. The fair usage is 3GB.
    300 texts is about as much as I use, well more I would say. All in all really happy with the contract.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.