The Student Room Group

Conversations with family

Christmas is a time for families but... what do families talk about, exactly?

The last few days have been a barrage of awkward silences. Literally hours where we just sit there not knowing where to look interspersed with occasional comments on the weather.

We have very few common interests and I now lead a life so separate and alien from my parents that we really just don't relate to each other.

What the hell do families talk about with each other? I just want the awkwardness to end; it makes me want to tear off my own face.
Fill awkward silences by putting TV music channels on, so that there's some noise even if it isn't generated by you. That's what my family does :yes:
We just talk about the past, the future, uni life, grades, my brothers sports club's, the societies that we're in, whats on the tv (leading onto what that tv show's about and opinions on it) n all that.
Reply 3

At least if you tear off your face you'll have something to talk about?
I avoid them as much as possible. My mum tries to fill the awkward silences by nagging me about something and my dad tries to fill them by asking what's wrong with me and then leaving the room, it's stressful.
Reply 5
Seriously, you spend your entire childhood with your parents and you have absolutely nothing to talk to them about. Or at least just leave the silence because you're a family and you spend 24/7 together so you should be used to the odd silence. Every families different some people would pray for a family like yours as some people have none stop shouting, screaming, permanently chatty families. Be chill.
Reply 6
think of something to say to cause an argument that will last long enough for you to think of a conversation. maybe on sex. make something up that you find interesting.
My mum and dad argued on every Christmas day.... :frown: Anyone know how to make my mum shut up as she is always the one getting moody... ? :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Blueflare
Christmas is a time for families but... what do families talk about, exactly?

The last few days have been a barrage of awkward silences. Literally hours where we just sit there not knowing where to look interspersed with occasional comments on the weather.

We have very few common interests and I now lead a life so separate and alien from my parents that we really just don't relate to each other.

What the hell do families talk about with each other? I just want the awkwardness to end; it makes me want to tear off my own face.

We are a money loving family, we love to talk about where we going to spend our money and how to find good deals on it. About our travels. About politics and the state of the economy. About our investments and how well or bad its doing.

Sometimes we talk about relationships or our relations, usually some sort of gossip.

I guess I won't be speaking with them for awhile.
We only talk when one of us ask questions or when my brother is being a pain in the ass trying to bully my younger brother or my mom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending