Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I currently work full time for a care agency. In a normal working day I walk between 15-25 miles. I intend to join the Fire Service or the Navy at some point, and therefore can't have any permenant, long-term injuries.

I sprained my ankle quite badly last week slipping on the ice, I couldn't really put any weight on it the first few days. I Ended up going the hospital, and thankfully didn't break anything but was advidsed by the doctor to rest it for 1 - 3 weeks with some light weight bearing as it was quite a bad sprain. He also advised I arrange some Physio.

I had 5 days off with much bother from them. I was essentially forced to go back in before I felt it was better, and it still hurt when I went back 2 days ago.

Anyway, it gave way this evening as I was headding up to bed and I figured it would be ok but it really isn't. It's just as bad as when I first done it so I'm really quite worried in the long term if I've incurred a permenant injury. I figure I need to rest it and get some physio done on it.

So I phoned about an hour ago saying I'm going to be off etc, I know it's short notice but it's better than tomorrow morning. She was very funny with me, trying to guilt trip me and then got more agressive. We are short of staff, but that's by no means my responsibility. She then said she's going to put me off for 3 weeks and I need a doctors note or I wont get paid.

I am absolutely livid, I feel like getting my doctors note and sending it in accompanied with my resignation. It's not my fault this happened, but I can't walk on a messed up ankle, and I can't risk my future career aspirations for 3 weeks work. The only thing I am worried about is the reference from them.

Thoughts people?

ReputationRep:
    My mother works in care as well, and she broke her wrist on the ice last year. She was forced to go back to work and now she's got permanent injury because of the strain she was putting on it.

Just get a doctors note and have done with it. Your boss doesn't sound very forgiving, although you can understand with the weather and the shortage of staff they will have had to deal with. But that's not YOUR fault. They can't give you a bad reference for an injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutralmilkhotel)
    My mother works in care as well, and she broke her wrist on the ice last year. She was forced to go back to work and now she's got permanent injury because of the strain she was putting on it.

Just get a doctors note and have done with it. Your boss doesn't sound very forgiving, although you can understand with the weather and the shortage of staff they will have had to deal with. But that's not YOUR fault. They can't give you a bad reference for an injury.
    If I detail the the circumstances with prospective new employers do you think they will understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boolshivia)
    If I detail the the circumstances with prospective new employers do you think they will understand?
    Of course. You obviously care about your job, otherwise you wouldn't be posting this thread. They'll take it into account for sure.

ReputationRep:
    You should have asked for a doctor's note in the first place really. It is fairly standard to present one if you are going to be off sick for over a week. I would try to get one now.

It's not usually allowed to resign while you are on sick leave. Your notice period will only start once you return to work after you are better. They can't actually force you to return to work but this may reflect in your reference. It is better to leave on good terms if possible.

It is not allowed to give a poor reference, but they can choose to only confirm your dates of employment or refuse to give one altogether. When you apply for a job an employer can ask for details of absences. A one-off absence against a reasonable sickness record is not likely to count against you though. Even if you have returned to work before going off again, it should count as only one period of absence as it is the same condition.

If you decide to leave then I personally wouldn't give a new employer the full details. It is better to say something positive about the new job than something bad about the old one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.