Re: Making extra money in F1 thread...:wink:

Dear Colleague,

I am conducting a study investigating a new method for assessing pelvic
floor strength called high resolution manometry. High resolution manometry
has already been proven to be beneficial in diseases affecting motility
disorders of the oesophagus. Our aim is to develop this technique to help
patients with disorders of the pelvic floor. The study includes
measurement of anal canal pressure using a narrow (0.5cm) device which is
inserted into the back passage (anal canal).

Healthy volunteers will be paid £100 to take part in this study lasting
about 90 minutes. Men and women over
the age of 18 without faecal incontinence (leakage of bowel contents from
the back passage) or constipation (difficulty in opening bowels) are
required to take part in the study. Healthy volunteers are needed to
ascertain normality so that future results can be accurately and
appropriately interpreted.
Reply 2261
Original post by Wangers
Re: Making extra money in F1 thread...:wink:

Dear Colleague,

I am conducting a study investigating a new method for assessing pelvic
floor strength called high resolution manometry. High resolution manometry
has already been proven to be beneficial in diseases affecting motility
disorders of the oesophagus. Our aim is to develop this technique to help
patients with disorders of the pelvic floor. The study includes
measurement of anal canal pressure using a narrow (0.5cm) device which is
inserted into the back passage (anal canal).

Healthy volunteers will be paid £100 to take part in this study lasting
about 90 minutes. Men and women over
the age of 18 without faecal incontinence (leakage of bowel contents from
the back passage) or constipation (difficulty in opening bowels) are
required to take part in the study. Healthy volunteers are needed to
ascertain normality so that future results can be accurately and
appropriately interpreted.
You've been reading the wrong websites!
Original post by Philosoraptor
Mate seriously - unless you've any undisclosed medical conditions - it will be that.

I thought I had a heart attack until it passed like a minute later :p:

Through a LOAD of chest clerkings - young people = MS unless proven otherwise :biggrin:
[Excluding the obvious asthma and so on - but there will be signs)

Does it hurt on palpation?

No, it hurt more on deep breaths, sharp pain, one might almost say pleuritic...I'll be the one you sent home with a pneumothorax:eek:, writing the article to the Daily Mail now :biggrin:

You do look very happy about the MS though :biggrin::angry::tongue:

and no, I won't be presenting anyway - I can't be arsed to travel.
Original post by Renal
You've been reading the wrong websites!

Genuine study recruitment, modified to protect details...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2264
Original post by Wangers
No, it hurt more on deep breaths, sharp pain, one might almost say pleuritic...
No. Nurses and paramedics think pleuritic pain gets worse on inspiration, doctors understand what it really means. :wink:
Original post by Renal
No. Nurses and paramedics think pleuritic pain gets worse on inspiration, doctors understand what it really means. :wink:

I demand a 12 hour trop, and more importantly, a breakfast :wink:
I like COOP, seems like just as much social care (if not more) than the medical package. Ortho and Rhumatology next...
Original post by Renal

When I had (a pneumonia and?) pleurisy I had classic ouchy ****ing ouch chest pain that was worse on inspiration and coughing...am I mistaken?
Original post by Wangers
No, it hurt more on deep breaths, sharp pain, one might almost say pleuritic...I'll be the one you sent home with a pneumothorax:eek:, writing the article to the Daily Mail now :biggrin:

You do look very happy about the MS though :biggrin::angry::tongue:

and no, I won't be presenting anyway - I can't be arsed to travel.

Hence the SIGNS dude -I'm not a plank and would miss no breath sounds/percussion etc... I'd already thought of that :O

Also you definitely didn't have an MI and it wouldn't have worsened on breathing etc.

Infection etc is possible but do you even feel feverish? Do you have any crackles etc...
Reply 2269
Also you definitely didn't have an MI and it wouldn't have worsened on breathing etc.
It wouldn't? Sure?

When I had (a pneumonia and?) pleurisy I had classic ouchy ****ing ouch chest pain that was worse on inspiration and coughing...am I mistaken?
Pleuritic pain is a pain that worsens and changes character from dull to sharp on inspiration.
Original post by Renal
It wouldn't? Sure?

I know pericarditis is better on leaning forward -
surely if he was having an MI (he's not diabetic/denervated heart) he'd be sweaty, breathless, in severe pain, etc - breathing not really making much difference in pain severity?

(That was the big worry here - cardiac of ANY cause yeah well I've no idea - you're the one going for MRCP :p:)
Reply 2271
I know pericarditis is better on leaning forward -
surely if he was having an MI (he's not diabetic/denervated heart) he'd be sweaty, breathless, in severe pain, etc - breathing not really making much difference in pain severity?

(That was the big worry here - cardiac of ANY cause yeah well I've no idea - you're the one going for MRCP :p:)
Absolutely not!

Most of the heart attacks I've seen, almost exclusively NSTEMI though, have presented as really well people who have a bit of an ache in their chest.

But, the upshot is that the quality of the pain is certainly not the be all and end all.
Original post by Renal
Absolutely not!

Most of the heart attacks I've seen, almost exclusively NSTEMI though, have presented as really well people who have a bit of an ache in their chest.

But, the upshot is that the quality of the pain is certainly not the be all and end all.

Meh I'd be willing to risk my future career on saying that Wang hasn't had an MI :p:
Reply 2273
Meh I'd be willing to risk my future career on saying that Wang hasn't had an MI :p:
Agreed, I'd turf home, ref GP.

But if, say, a bengalopath turned up with a sharp stabbing pain in the side of his chest, I'd might still Trop him, even if it's not classic cardiac CP.
Hence the SIGNS dude -I'm not a plank and would miss no breath sounds/percussion etc... I'd already thought of that :O

Infection etc is possible but do you even feel feverish? Do you have any crackles etc...

Could be ischemia combined with a tamponade, would have been SOB etc...
My GP tutor taught us today that pleuritic pain is worse on inspiration and when coughing/sneezing/laughing etc. Now I'm confused :sad:
Do I want to go to a surgical skills conference when I've no intention of becoming a surgeon?
I'm not applying for this, but I would absolutely love to do something like it in in the future. It sounds tremendously exciting.
Original post by Wangers
Could be ischemia combined with a tamponade, would have been SOB etc...

:goaway:

haha
Reply 2279
Original post by felt_monkey
My GP tutor taught us today that pleuritic pain is worse on inspiration and when coughing/sneezing/laughing etc. Now I'm confused :sad:
It is, anything that moves the pleura relative to each other will worsen the pain. However, to help differentiate it from muscular pain (which is also worsened by those movements), pleuritic pain changes character as it gets worse.

Latest