The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Fission_Mailed
First exam tomorrow- Behavioural Sciences. :facepalm2:

I've got stats the day after tomorrow. *grumble*
I start my secondary care placement tomorrow :awesome: And I'm hoping to get a day in theatre on Thursday :smile:
Reply 262
St Mary's is fun. In the first week (4 days), I've learnt about the same as I did in a month at Central Middlesex.

I don't really want to do surgery, but I like the surgical team I'm with. I wasn't expecting the consultant to do, well, any bedside teaching, but he does loads.

The first day we went to introduce ourselves to the team, and in about 3 minutes, they had one of us taking blood, another an ABG, one clerking, and one of us putting in a cannula. I haven't even seen a patient since November!

Also, I need to go to bed now. 5:30am wake ups suck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SMed
St Mary's is fun. In the first week (4 days), I've learnt about the same as I did in a month at Central Middlesex.

I don't really want to do surgery, but I like the surgical team I'm with. I wasn't expecting the consultant to do, well, any bedside teaching, but he does loads.

The first day we went to introduce ourselves to the team, and in about 3 minutes, they had one of us taking blood, another an ABG, one clerking, and one of us putting in a cannula. I haven't even seen a patient since November!

Also, I need to go to bed now. 5:30am wake ups suck.

I had a (minor) rant about this in the Aberdeen medic thread. We're both third years and yet you're on firms doing practical stuff. I can do all four of those things you mentioned, but three of them I learnt by going in on weekends in my own time, because so far we've done one blood-taking and one venflon in our course and that was on a fake arm. And yet if anyone wanted to compare Aberdeen and Imperial, you do a more sciency course than us, AND do more practical stuff than us... If anyone can point out an advantage to my course, that'd be great, cos I really can't see any at the moment.

[I'm having a moment of chaos because of impending essay deadlines and a massive backlog of stuff that is just about to catch up with me. Feel free to ignore me. :rolleyes:]
Eugggggggh. :frown:
If Prof Kumar is coming to lecture us, is it very uncool of me to take my textbook to be signed? Or is she really used to it?
Reply 266
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
If Prof Kumar is coming to lecture us, is it very uncool of me to take my textbook to be signed? Or is she really used to it?

Who ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ilovehotchocolate

Incredibly uncool verging on tragic
Eurgh, I wish I had my dissection today. I had to get up for an introductory lecture at 9:00 and now don't have anything 'til 15:00. Instead, i've got my dissection tomorrow morning when i'll be ridiculously hungover - it's pretty much guaranteed i'll throw up on the cadaver. FML
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I had a (minor) rant about this in the Aberdeen medic thread. We're both third years and yet you're on firms doing practical stuff. I can do all four of those things you mentioned, but three of them I learnt by going in on weekends in my own time, because so far we've done one blood-taking and one venflon in our course and that was on a fake arm. And yet if anyone wanted to compare Aberdeen and Imperial, you do a more sciency course than us, AND do more practical stuff than us... If anyone can point out an advantage to my course, that'd be great, cos I really can't see any at the moment.

The thing is that you can't exactly bring in people to practice venflons / bloods on.

What you can do however is now tell your junior doctor / reg / consultants that you've been shown how and have practiced and would now like to do some real ones. They'll be well chuffed to have an extra non useless pair of hands.

Also, 4th and 5th year you will end up doing bloods, ecgs, venflons and catheters till your sick to death of them.
Tbh despite us having a card to fill in in thrid year - some people barely did any bloods/cannulas!

I did loads of both - and can even get fat old ladies arms, but that's because I was skiving off doing the proper work of clerking :/

In other news: total amount of studying done today for upcoming exam: 0.
Woke up at 14:30.
Fml :p:
Reply 271
Started public health block today :facepalm:
Original post by lekky
Started public health block today :facepalm:

I'm enjoying revising public health more than the lectures.
Reply 273
Original post by Philosoraptor

In other news: total amount of studying done today for upcoming exam: 0.
Woke up at 14:30.
Fml :p:

You do like making life difficult for yourself!
Reply 274
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I'm enjoying revising public health more than the lectures.

Lecture was awesome.
PBL and doing PBL work very much the opposite
Original post by lekky
Lecture was awesome.
PBL and doing PBL work very much the opposite

Ooh, nasty. Our only PBL is in the Behavioural Sciences module.
Hello all! Haven't posted on here for a while! Exams are looming, and I'm petrified, with them being the first set of exams etc; really not sure what to expect!
Original post by Lantana
You do like making life difficult for yourself!

Heh! Nah, I'm just interminably bad at studying and the ADHD factor isn't helping :/
So I wrote my essay to the mark scheme and my tutor agrees I perfectly met all the criteria laid down in the mark scheme, but apparently she has a more detailed one in her head that I didn't meet all the criteria of, so I don't get perfect marks. I know I shouldn't grumble cos I passed, but seriously?! What is the point of a mark scheme if it doesn't show what you need to do to get excellent? Gah! I start statistics tomorrow, bleurgh....
Reply 279
Bleurgh. Stats exam today... made a ****ing stupid mistake. Bugger. Knowledge exam tomorrow.

Latest

Trending

Trending