The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3500
Actually hating life atm. Exam on tuesday. feel like I know nothing (probs because I know nothing)
Boom; Fear
bang on midnight as well
:colonhash:
Reply 3502
I haven't got OSCE fear, and it's on Tuesday. :frown:

Though, we get station topics on Monday, so I'll probably get the fear when I get the email Monday morning. Then I'll be fearin' all day and won't be able to sleep. And I since I have to travel 40 miles to get to the hospital by 8:30AM, I'll be ****ed for sleep. I'm jealous of my friends that have their OSCE at like 3:00PM.
Just made a (preliminary!) decision not to intercalate. Hope this doesn't shoot me in the foot later on :frown:
Reply 3504
Original post by RollerBall
Anyone know of anyone who has done an internship in a bank in the summer while doing a medical degree? I'm pretty set on applying for one this September but I've only got a few months to get my **** sorted so wanted to see if I could find anyone who's done it before.

I looked into it but discovered it's basically impossible (a number of my friends either work in IB or are doing internships) because well, you're going to have to come up with some pretty convincing bull**** reason as to why you are doing a medical degree when you want to go into banking and why, when you realised you want to do banking as a first year medic, you didn't try to change degree courses. Never mind the fact that it's reasonably difficult to get into when you're not at least in your penultimate year. And you'd have to spend all summer studying to make sure that you are somewhere near the knowledge that people who are studying maths, economics etc have.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I was told recently that it's possible to sit the MRCS (Part A only) as a final year medical student, but I can't find anything on the Intercollegiate MRCS pages to suggest that this is right. Anyone know anything about this?

It's the first I've heard of that. Even the die-hard surgeons in my year only took part A as F1s.
Original post by lekky
I looked into it but discovered it's basically impossible (a number of my friends either work in IB or are doing internships) because well, you're going to have to come up with some pretty convincing bull**** reason as to why you are doing a medical degree when you want to go into banking and why, when you realised you want to do banking as a first year medic, you didn't try to change degree courses. Never mind the fact that it's reasonably difficult to get into when you're not at least in your penultimate year. And you'd have to spend all summer studying to make sure that you are somewhere near the knowledge that people who are studying maths, economics etc have.

Your avater is broken.
Original post by Helenia
It's the first I've heard of that. Even the die-hard surgeons in my year only took part A as F1s.

We had a ENT reg tell us that the MRCS and MRCP Part As were doable with finals knowledge with 'a bit of extra reading'. I suspect that it would be rather alot of extra work? He also said we should be doing courses, audits etc, very competitive...

The cynical part of me thinks that audit is a brilliant way of roping some on the ball people in to do the donkey work for free.
Reply 3508
AFAIK, you need to be qualified, but there are no time restrictions unlike the MRCP. There are a couple of people in my year who want to do it this September, but the last day to apply for this sitting is the afternoon we get our results :/
Original post by visesh
AFAIK, you need to be qualified, but there are no time restrictions unlike the MRCP. There are a couple of people in my year who want to do it this September, but the last day to apply for this sitting is the afternoon we get our results :/

Qualified as in all exams passed, or having graduated? Could you apply prior to exams/graduation and obviously forfeit your exam fee if you don't have your degree by the time of the MRCS exam?
Original post by Wangers
We had a ENT reg tell us that the MRCS and MRCP Part As were doable with finals knowledge with 'a bit of extra reading'. I suspect that it would be rather alot of extra work? He also said we should be doing courses, audits etc, very competitive...

The cynical part of me thinks that audit is a brilliant way of roping some on the ball people in to do the donkey work for free.

It's not to do with the amount of knowledge; it's that you're not allowed to take it until qualified, to the best of my knowledge.
Original post by lekky

I see. Cheers for the heads up anyway.
Original post by Helenia
It's not to do with the amount of knowledge; it's that you're not allowed to take it until qualified, to the best of my knowledge.

Yep, just read the MRCP site - compleation of F1 and you need your consultant/educational supervisor to back you.
Reply 3513
Step 1) Suture a banana.

Step 2) Then eat it.

Step 3) Don't repeat step 2 in any other suturing situation.

Step 4) Profit.
Reply 3514
Original post by Becca-Sarah

When our names go up on the list, we are immediately given our BChir, despite having our "graduation" two days later.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3515
It's looking like I'm going to find out whether I've qualified as a doctor from a hospital bed... very weird! Then don't actually graduate until ~4 days before starting work.
Original post by Hygeia
It's looking like I'm going to find out whether I've qualified as a doctor from a hospital bed... very weird! Then don't actually graduate until ~4 days before starting work.

:eek: Are you okay!?
Reply 3517
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
:eek: Are you okay!?

Finally having the tests done down in London that week, nothing else :smile:
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
Finally having the tests done down in London that week, nothing else :smile:

Oh okay :smile: When are your exams all over with?
Reply 3519
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Oh okay :smile: When are your exams all over with?

Single exam on the 8th June, terrified!

Latest

Trending

Trending