The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just over a week to go till F-DAY (...finals) and 6 years of medical school "knowledge" has gone out of the window. It's gone, dunno where, but it's gone. Scraping through every year is going to be bite me in the ass this year, just know it.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by i'm no superman
4 weeks to learn 13 weeks of lectures. Possible?

I'm ****ed. I HATE IMMUNOLOGY.

You can do loads in four weeks. That's a long time.
Reply 3602
never mind results.. it's the championship final on monday. :eek:
Original post by i'm no superman
4 weeks to learn 13 weeks of lectures. Possible?

I'm ****ed. I HATE IMMUNOLOGY.

It most certainly is.

We've had two weeks study leave to learn/revise everything from year two (and year one thoeretically as they can still throw that into end of year exams). Now that's messed up. :/

Last year, the second years only had one week! :eek:
Original post by Medicine Man
It most certainly is.

We've had two weeks study leave to learn/revise everything from year two (and year one thoeretically as they can still throw that into end of year exams). Now that's messed up. :/

Last year, the second years only had one week! :eek:

Try having a FIFTY THREE week academic year which includes 1 week for christmas, easter long weekend and 1 other week as the only time off and 4 days between last day of firms and first exam which actually starts after everyone else in the medical school/university has finished for the year.

....Then coming back two weeks later to start final year firms.

Soul destroying
Original post by PineBarrens
Try having a FIFTY THREE week academic year which includes 1 week for christmas, easter long weekend and 1 other week as the only time off and 4 days between last day of firms and first exam which actually starts after everyone else in the medical school/university has finished for the year.

....Then coming back two weeks later to start final year firms.

Soul destroying

Er, you win! :p:
As far as I know it's already been changed.....though it took a GMC "recommendation" for it to happen.

Finals are also being moved to March which means having to resit won't mean losing your job.
Have you figured this out yet? :tongue:

I'm probably being a bit thick here but with deep brain stimulation, do you stimulate or depress the subthalamic nucleus? It involves using a depolarising block which stimulates the STN, but surely stimulating the STN as the name of the procedure suggests means you're infact stimulating the GPi and thus inhibiting the ventral thalamus and subsequently the motor cortex from executing movements, which isn't what you want? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick? :p:

Can anyone explain it to me please?
Original post by habski
Have you figured this out yet? :tongue:

Yeah. Kinda. I think.

It basically supresses the output of the STN even though it stimulates it. Kinda weird, but this is what I was told and tbh I cba to think more about it now. :p:

I'm still revising B&B dude! Grrrr!
Original post by PineBarrens
As far as I know it's already been changed.....though it took a GMC "recommendation" for it to happen.

Finals are also being moved to March which means having to resit won't mean losing your job.

Ahh I see you're following the Barts way! :wink:
Ahh I see you're following the Barts way! :wink:

Our finals are moving to earlier as well so we can resit before jobs start - bloody annoying as it means finals revision drops from 6 weeks to 2 weeks. :frown:

I love cramming. :frown:
How do people define finals then? Cos here we sit 'finals' in fourth year, but there are exams (an OSCE, I believe) at the end of fifth, which if failed means resitting the entirety of 5th year and losing your job.
Original post by Philosoraptor
Our finals are moving to earlier as well so we can resit before jobs start - bloody annoying as it means finals revision drops from 6 weeks to 2 weeks. :frown:

I love cramming. :frown:

It's probably better in the long run - wouldnt want to loose my job and to have to wait a very long time to resit my exam.
Reply 3613
Our finals are moving to earlier as well so we can resit before jobs start - bloody annoying as it means finals revision drops from 6 weeks to 2 weeks.

I've got all of...3 days :p:
Original post by visesh
I've got all of...3 days :p:

Yeah but that's different - you guys blatantly don't have the luxury of cram revising at the end. You geek it out all year long :biggrin:
Reply 3615
Yeah but that's different - you guys blatantly don't have the luxury of cram revising at the end. You geek it out all year long :biggrin:

We're not ICSM yo.
Reply 3616
Original post by Becca-Sarah
How do people define finals then? Cos here we sit 'finals' in fourth year, but there are exams (an OSCE, I believe) at the end of fifth, which if failed means resitting the entirety of 5th year and losing your job.

UEA does the same but we never really considered our end of 4th year exams as finals or anything - finals around here definitely means the make it or break it OSCE!
Original post by visesh
We're not ICSM yo.

Rofl.

Meh I think my know nothing throughout the year - suddenly learn everything at the end methods would not be viable at Oxbridge :p:.

Nothing motivates me to study anymore - I dunno as you get older do you start to realise - meh even if I failed I'd hardly end up on the street - I'd get a job somewhere?

I wish I could get the fear - it now only comes like way too late
Original post by visesh

like the little profile pic thing haha
Reply 3619
Original post by Becca-Sarah

We have Final MB exams parts I, II and II. Part I (clinical pathology) and II (O&G, paeds OSCE) are done in 5th year, and Part III (medicine/surgery/specialties/public health/ethics and is etc. OSCE/written) are taken at the end of 6th year.

Part I causes the most fear, Part II is pretty straightforward, and Part III is supposedly just formality despite covering pretty much everything. You can resit I and II in the October of 6th year (but can only fail 2 out of the 3 subjects, or resit the year), and resit III in July before starting work (but that depends on which components of III you fail)

Latest

Trending

Trending