The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks
is derm given as much time as respiratory etc?

That went through my mind also.

and year 1? is derm given as much time as respiratory etc?

Yeah one was introductory module and then a module of rheum and ortho combined.

Derm is a combined module with haem.

Original post by Kinkerz
When do you do renal, endocrine, etc? Or have you done all that in semester one?

We do that year 3. And see above for your other question
i forgot some people do 3 preclinical years
oops

i forgot some people do 3 preclinical years
oops

Well we don't really do preclinical years at all. All our rheum teaching (apart from rheum related to other systems) is in this module. We have primary and secondary care placements for each module.
How are different peoples' semesters or terms split up over the pre clinical years? I'm always seeing people saying, oh this semester was immunology and embryology and things like that and it confuses me.

Luckily I go to a med school for dim people and therefore the 4 semesters are, in order; Families and Children, Heart lungs and Blood, Mind and Movement, Nutrition Metabolism and Excretion...
NICE AND BROAD

They're not. We have a case that'll last a week or two and then we move onto something completely different. For example, it's mental health atm, next week will be the leg and we did head and neck before. There is no pattern. Was a bit confusing at the start, but now things start to come together :yes:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Well we don't really do preclinical years at all. All our rheum teaching (apart from rheum related to other systems) is in this module. We have primary and secondary care placements for each module.

really? so you are on wards all the time from the first year?! Do you to history taking, exams etc as soon as you get there?

(not having a go, i'm jealous!)
Original post by Mushi_master
Admittedly the worst point about Haem in my book.

repped for MM

really? so you are on wards all the time from the first year?! Do you to history taking, exams etc as soon as you get there?

(not having a go, i'm jealous!)

Yeah we have 4 or 5 weeks of secondary care per module (or at least that's what it's been so far)

We've done history taking from the very first week, and this module we got taught the various joint examinations and a little bit about neurological exams (so sensory/reflexes stuff)

I really like the way the course is designed here :biggrin:
Yeah we have 4 or 5 weeks of secondary care per module (or at least that's what it's been so far)

We've done history taking from the very first week, and this module we got taught the various joint examinations and a little bit about neurological exams (so sensory/reflexes stuff)

I really like the way the course is designed here :biggrin:

that sounds fantastic. i get by with my 4 days or so a semester...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR CLINICAL I AM GOING TO DIE.

renal will come and try to dent my enthusiasm, but he will fail
My modules are systems/speciality based.

So year 2 is haem + derm, respiratory and cardiology.

Always surprises me that you do ortho/rheum before resp and cardio. Just the order of things here I'm used to I s'pose.

Liking this post indeed. Definitely can't wait for 3rd year, we've had like 9 days in total over the last 2 years...
I've been selected for a summer dissection programme at George's - basically doing full body dissection working in pairs. Not sure whether to do it now though...is 4 weeks of my summer holiday really worth £100-150 and a certificate?

In other news, revision is going so bad, it's not even funny. We still have one week of immunology lectures left and then two weeks study leave before the exams. I've got an SSC presentation on Monday too. ****kkkkkk :frown:
Original post by i'm no superman
I've been selected for a summer dissection programme at George's - basically doing full body dissection working in pairs. Not sure whether to do it now though...is 4 weeks of my summer holiday really worth £100-150 and a certificate?

In other news, revision is going so bad, it's not even funny. We still have one week of immunology lectures left and then two weeks study leave before the exams. I've got an SSC presentation on Monday too. ****kkkkkk :frown:

have you done any full body dissection before?

It can't be worse than mine. Apart from writing up a couple of immunology lectures my revision = 0. And my exam is on the 17th. And it covers everything I've done this year :sigh:
have you done any full body dissection before?
Nope. I think there's training but I'll be supervised anyway.

It can't be worse than mine. Apart from writing up a couple of immunology lectures my revision = 0. And my exam is on the 17th. And it covers everything I've done this year :sigh:
Ahh good luck! Do you get study leave?

Ahh good luck! Do you get study leave?

Well I'm on placement until the end of next week (the last two days being OSCE time) and then I have the next week off, with the written exam on the Friday. I then have the end of year OSCE the following Wednesday :emo:
Nope. I think there's training but I'll be supervised anyway.

It's not so much the training (there isn't a lot of training involved believe me) I was just going to say if you haven't had a go at it before it is really useful and that you should go for it, especially if you are getting paid!

Can we swap? I start clinicals on Monday and would rather eat my own toenails.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Can we swap? I start clinicals on Monday and would rather eat my own toenails.

:frown:
it's going to be amazing....probably :colonhash:

it's kind of the whole point so i'm sure once you get used to it you'll change your mind

also how come you are starting clinicals at the end of the year?
:frown:
it's going to be amazing....probably :colonhash:

it's kind of the whole point so i'm sure once you get used to it you'll change your mind

also how come you are starting clinicals at the end of the year?

The end of third year was in March. I've done my 4th year SSM and now have a 5 week rotation before everyone who isn't intercalating has a 2 week 'summer' before going back out on placement through til Christmas.

Latest