The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4700
Original post by Tech
:biggrin:

In other news, being a medical student is definitely better than being a plasterer! :sleep:

I could do with a plasterer to make my bedroom ceiling look all gorgeous! Pretty please? I'll pay in medical books (those horrible, horrible sciencey ones I had to read back in years 1-2). :biggrin:
My holiday job plunges me further into geek-dom. I make spreadsheets and word documents for a pensions administration company. I audit large amounts of data, work out where they went wrong and devise ways to fix it for them, as well as being the go to girl for "how do I do mail merges/how do I put page numbers in this document etc..." Have been doing this for 5 yrs now. I started off by putting bits of paper in alphabetical order fior them. Come a long way since then, including 3 promotions :smile:
Reply 4702
Original post by Skwee
I could do with a plasterer to make my bedroom ceiling look all gorgeous! Pretty please? I'll pay in medical books (those horrible, horrible sciencey ones I had to read back in years 1-2). :biggrin:

I'm not quite a master plaster(er).. :tongue: But I know my way around a drywall, ladies :smug: :biggrin:

Just sorting out the bathroom, there was an electric heater put in there (i mean, really, in a bathroom? :hmmm:) which left a big hole in the wall when it went :frown:

Original post by n1r4v
I spent hours watching videos once :ninja:. They really are addictive, you feel inspired for a few minutes then crave more

For sure. I once had a TED-day with a friend, because we're just that cool.. :awesome:

Original post by Elles
Ooh, are you a good plasterer? We'll be needing one soon hopefully. :crossedf: I love ceiling roses. :redface:

They're very pretty :redface: Well beyond my league though! Are you doing up the house or moving somewhere new?
Original post by malaz_197
4 days until freedom... I can't bloody wait! I think George's breaks the record for the longest third year there is

Our third year doesn't finish until mid-August :frown:
You guys who are working doing boring things with the radio on are lucky, I spent a summer re-arranging files in a room on my own with no windows or radio. Although I did at least have my phone with me, which although it had no signal did have one song on that I listened to on repeat all summer (technically it wasn't even my phone, someone lent it to me, so I had one song of their choice). My friend thought I was a right idiot when I still didn't really get the meaning of the song after a whole summer listening to it.

Last summer I was a cleaner which sucked a bit, but quite fun cos we had radio and cleaned in pairs. It was also actually quite useful, I am shocked how little most students seem to know about cleaning! I feel like an expert now.

Congratulations to the people who have just graduated!
Original post by Elles
There are some specialties where you can't start the membership exams in foundation... :ninjagirl: :tongue:

I had a summer job (probably something like 10-12 weeks - long vacations) where my job was to move boxes & boxes of financial notes into a new filing system. So I was sat in one room by myself surrounded my boxes with a radio & periodically walked into another empty room to file away. Makes you appreciate doctor-ing! :biggrin:

I just looked up ceiling rose - they look like alot of effort...

In other news, all this week my neighbours have decided to start some sort of DIY project...On the bright side, I won't be able to sleep through my exams...I'm probably going to fail :frown:
Ugh I hate charity folk coming to my door, it's bad enough being stopped on the street being asked for your bank details but when it's your own home and they won't leave it's something else.
Reply 4707
Original post by Tech
I'm not quite a master plaster(er).. :tongue: But I know my way around a drywall, ladies :smug: :biggrin:

Just sorting out the bathroom, there was an electric heater put in there (i mean, really, in a bathroom? :hmmm:) which left a big hole in the wall when it went :frown:

Oooh, a drywall! *faints* What a man!

Oh my Gods, an electric heater in the bathroom? Sounds like the builders were feeling suicidal... :P

Original post by Mushi_master
Ugh I hate charity folk coming to my door, it's bad enough being stopped on the street being asked for your bank details but when it's your own home and they won't leave it's something else.

You could try answering the door with red paint (or alternatively, ketchup) on your hands/arms and say "excuse me, sir/ma'am, but I have some unfinished business to attend to...". :wink:
Original post by Elles
There are some specialties where you can't start the membership exams in foundation... :ninjagirl: :tongue:

I had a summer job (probably something like 10-12 weeks - long vacations) where my job was to move boxes & boxes of financial notes into a new filing system. So I was sat in one room by myself surrounded my boxes with a radio & periodically walked into another empty room to file away. Makes you appreciate doctor-ing! :biggrin:

I'll drink to that. I like having money in the summer, but full time in a shop has proved that medicine was the right choice.
Reply 4709
is freeeeeeeeeeeeee... well until the resits :/
My summer job beats all. I work in McDonalds.
Now that is very true. My double life as a normal working office person sure makes me appreciate my preferred life as a medical student.
Reply 4712
Original post by Mushi_master
Our third year doesn't finish until mid-August :frown:

oh dear! our year officially finishes on 5th Aug but that's still isn't as bad!
Mmm just heard the new opeth and mastodon tracks, many likes from me.
Original post by crazylemon
My house next year (hopefully) will have a garden and piano in the 2nd reception room and be a tenner a week less than now :awesome:

I am so not a proper student.

With reception rooms and a piano... no, probably not.
I have moved further out which makes places so much cheaper.

I did wonder how much students houses were in S Kensing, what are you looking at per week with bills?
Original post by carcinoma
I did wonder how much students houses were in S Kensing, what are you looking at per week with bills?

I'm hope you don't mind me ninja-ring this question - good opportunity to vent!

A box studio/single in South Ken is about £200, without bills (no such thing as a 'student house' there, mind! :tongue: )

I'm 2 miles/a couple of postcodes away and paying £50 less for a double.

Student digs in Hammersmith & Fulham Borough are generally £120-150.

Hmm, every Londoner I know is commuting from home from September (Year 3).

Is London worth the hassle? Probably not. Bit late for that now though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Got the analysis of exam results back. lol. Nice try FEO at trying to get me to work over the summer by trying to make anyone who got <5% above the pass mark in any question.

Although apparently I can write essays which is nice.

Apparently I suck at essays. And the 'cardio' that was 'taught' last term. To be perfectly honest I still don't know what the hell scipat was (I mean I understand the concept of it, but the delivery of it was just a mess imo).

Anyhoo, that's that box ticked.
Original post by Blatant Troll
I'm hope you don't mind me ninja-ring this question - good opportunity to vent!

A box studio/single in South Ken is about £200, without bills (no such thing as a 'student house' there, mind! :tongue: )

I'm 2 miles/a couple of postcodes away and paying £50 less for a double.

Student digs in Hammersmith & Fulham Borough are generally £120-150.

Hmm, every Londoner I know is commuting from home from September (Year 3).

Is London worth the hassle? Probably not. Bit late for that now though!

I'm from London, but am at Peninsula.

Ill be paying less than £100 with all bills included.
That's what depresses me. I'm from way up north - a nice area of Newcastle would set you back £70pw :K:

Latest