The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Just invested in the Anatomy colouring book so will now invest in some colouring crayons (feeling dangerously close to being a QM student there!)

That aside bit apprehensive about PBLs... from the example they gave us last week there seems to be a lot of assumed knowledge which I simply don't have yet and my group seem really keen... we already have a load of articles to consider for the posters and I'm yet to do **** all..

I want to pull my weight but it's too soon.. need to learn a bit of medicine first :sigh:

Or maybe I'm slacking before the first proper lecture starts...

Whatever you do... do not buy Marieb (the book they'll keep telling you to buy) since it's beyond useless :h:

You'll probably find PBL rather difficult at first, particularly if you have graduates in your group since they seem to know everything but eventually you'll get the hang of it. Also FunMed is quite a bit harder to have PBL in since the lectures aren't so related to the scenario (at least for us they weren't). Just get through these nine weeks and thing's should get easier since lectures basically give you the majority of the info :p:

Posters usually get done like a week or two before presentation :ninja:

Hang in there :h:
On another note, QM administration are beyond useless :colonhash:
Reply 5782
Original post by FFCrusader
On another note, QM administration are beyond useless :colonhash:
Nothing changes.

(Although I'm yet to find a medic that speaks highly of the ****ing registry at their school, parent uni or hossie)
Reply 5783
Original post by Captain Crash
(except Orthopaedics of course.... :tongue: )
Much as they revel in being thick, drill monkeys, because ortho is so competitive they have become particularly academic, almost all their SpRs will have masters and a large proportion of the consultants appointed over the last few years have doctorates.
Today I spent one hour synthesising bruises and blood and skin from food colouring, laxatives, starch, vaseline and make up...

...case was, "What might happen if a person carrying a cup of coffee tripped and fell on the road?" Then we got given a crossword.

...can only be PBL :awesome:

EDIT: medicine is easy :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5785
Original post by Renal

(Although I'm yet to find a medic that speaks highly of the ****ing registry at their school, parent uni or hossie)

Hold on a moment..! Ours were excellent. :biggrin:

Although the office's earnest-ness to reunite lost property did induce some hysterics in the run up to finals when we had an email about a lilt bottle left there. :giggle: Lilt-bottle-gate.
Original post by FFCrusader
Whatever you do... do not buy Marieb (the book they'll keep telling you to buy) since it's beyond useless :h:

You'll probably find PBL rather difficult at first, particularly if you have graduates in your group since they seem to know everything but eventually you'll get the hang of it. Also FunMed is quite a bit harder to have PBL in since the lectures aren't so related to the scenario (at least for us they weren't). Just get through these nine weeks and thing's should get easier since lectures basically give you the majority of the info :p:

Posters usually get done like a week or two before presentation :ninja:

Hang in there :h:

I have absolutely no intention of buying that book or their combo they offer... they might have bought the lecturer with that but I will stick to stuff that is useful after year 1 as well..

Think I'll have to give Digitalis' thread of textbooks a read :yep:

Yeah think there are 3 grads in my PBL group atm.. so I will have no shame it not knowing as much as them.. I'll just get better :redface:

Still need to find you irl..

Thanks for the advice btw.. I certainly won't be giving up :noway:
hated every moment of pbl...without sounding sexist, the girls would always chat so much crap and contribute useless rubbish. SO glad those days are over!
Original post by iceman_jondoe
hated every moment of pbl...without sounding sexist, the girls would always chat so much crap and contribute useless rubbish. SO glad those days are over!

Didn't really work.
Original post by Captain Crash
Maybe not neccesarily specific quartiles, but including known rankings and any exam prizes/distinctions bolster your CV in addition to any degrees, research etc. Take this guy for instance....

I was thinking the medical ones predominantly, although evidence of good academic ability will rarely hurt you in other specialities (except Orthopaedics of course.... :tongue: )

Bloody hell. That guy clearly had no life at medical school i mean jeez. All i will ahve is a lousy BMBS and hours and hours of playimg call of duty :biggrin: beat that!
Original post by Kinkerz
Didn't really work.

meh...perhaps i should have said without sound too sexist lol
Reply 5791
was I so annoying when I was a first year? Surely not. They just won't keep quiet in the library and are all so keen :p:
Reply 5792
Original post by iceman_jondoe

without being sexist, I'm finding a reoccuring trend of the guys in my PBL groups being arrogant know it alls :wink:

I am joking. My PBL groups have on the whole been pretty great. This one seems good too and lots of people up for PBL nights out :yy: (sometimes you get the groups full of real keenos who look at you with judgement in their eyes when you come in hungover)

with regards to "clearly had no life" the assumption that you can't do well & get involved in things and have a life does generally irk me.. I do well & get involved in things & yet drink as hard as the next medic.. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5793
Original post by buzzcat
I started neuro BSc today

Bleurgh. So much to understand :frown:

Brave! Good luck :smile:
Original post by lekky
was I so annoying when I was a first year? Surely not. They just won't keep quiet in the library and are all so keen :p:

After every lecture nearly all 200 of us rush into the library to borrow the recommended reading textbooks mentioned in passing by the lecturer--of which there are only 10 or so. :colondollar: It's like a more passive-aggressive version of Gladiators...with the prize being knowledge!

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5795
Original post by spacepirate-James
After every lecture nearly all 200 of us rush into the library to borrow the recommended reading textbooks mentioned in passing by the lecturer--of which there are only 10 or so. :colondollar: It's like a more passive-aggressive version of Gladiators...

Spoiler

Dear Lord.

Find kindly people in the years above who will give them on USB.
Original post by lekky
without being sexist, I'm finding a reoccuring trend of the guys in my PBL groups being arrogant know it alls :wink:

I am joking. My PBL groups have on the whole been pretty great. This one seems good too and lots of people up for PBL nights out :yy: (sometimes you get the groups full of real keenos who look at you with judgement in their eyes when you come in hungover)

with regards to "clearly had no life" the assumption that you can't do well & get involved in things and have a life does generally irk me.. I do well & get involved in things & yet drink as hard as the next medic.. :tongue:

well i generally knew nothing in pbl sessions i was prob the most wuiet because i just wanted to get out of the sessions as quickly as possible!
Our comfy little anatomy world powered by the cheat sheets generated in past years and a complex series of DR table shufflings to get asked the question you actually know the answer to was completely ripped away from us this afternoon. They're going to make us work for it this year. :/

Possibly a good thing, but still. Bugger.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Just had a look and wow, that's impressive. My CV in comparison looks like a gaping black hole...

But I'm very very happy that academic foundation programme applications are being moved to 5th year so you can apply to both foundation programmes at the same time ths giving more time for research from iBSc's to get published.

(I'm a little confused though, did that person do an MA before Medicine? or am I being silly and misreading something)

Cambridge MA. Your BA magically transforms 20 terms after matriculation.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan

(I'm a little confused though, did that person do an MA before Medicine? or am I being silly and misreading something)

It's a Cambridge quirk - all intercalated degrees are BAs regardless of subject and they turn into MAs automatically 6.5 years after entry to the university.

Latest

Trending

Trending