The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phryx
You won't really be tested on those drugs. From what I remember from first year semester 1 the only real pharmacology is all the NMJ stuff e.g vecuronium, suxamethonium, neostigmine etc.

I've written 'must know' next to the table, but I hope you're right. I'm scared :frown: (this is when you tell me that the exams are easy and you're virtually guaranteed a pass if you do a bit of work :p:)
Reply 581
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Placement and logbooks has really helped with me learning the different classes of various drugs - it seemed to be something that everyone in my PBL group knew and I didn't. And I was especially proud to know why someone who'd had a stroke was put on clopidogrel rather than aspirin and (the other one I can't remember - dopy something?)

dipyridamole?
Original post by Helenia

Original post by Helenia
dipyridamole?

That could quite possibly be it :yep: Thanks :smile:
Original post by Medicine Man
xThat's a lot of routines to learn! All the best with the London marathon prep too.

Your SSC sounds fun. It certainly beats writing 5000+ words on the diagnostic issues surrounding FASD and its implications on its epidemiology. That wasn't fun. I start my next SSC in a few weeks time...along with a 4000 word family study.

I don't think I'll be able to make it to Tiger next week. I'm on study leave at the mo so it's probably not a good idea considering how much left I need to do. What are you doing on the Feb 9th? I'll be out then and every night after until the Sunday before semester 4 starts! :p:

Edit: Just received an e-mail notification from King's about my application. I'll hear a decision by March 4th at the latest. :headfire:
(edited 13 years ago)
Refworks is doing my nut, so very slow and so very confusing. Anyone feel like giving me some hints? Especially with regards to using it alongside a Word document.
Original post by i'm no superman
Edit: Just received an e-mail notification from King's about my application. I'll hear a decision by March 4th at the latest. :headfire:

Good choice on the King's front :P

If I decide to intercalate (unlikely), neuroscience will be the one.
Reply 586
Original post by ilovehotchocolate

Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Anyone know any good mindmapping freeware? All the torrents of imindmap I can find are evaluation only copies, which is pants because now I've had a play with it, I like it. I don't want it to stop working in 8 days :frown: I like the pretty colours.... However, I don't like it enough to pay Β£50 for it.

FreeMind.
Reply 587
Original post by Mushi_master
Refworks is doing my nut, so very slow and so very confusing. Anyone feel like giving me some hints? Especially with regards to using it alongside a Word document.

Reference Manager is much easier. You can probs get it from uni, or download a trial copy - it only allows you to open the software 20 times so just keep it open and hibernate computer.
Reply 588
Placement and logbooks has really helped with me learning the different classes of various drugs - it seemed to be something that everyone in my PBL group knew and I didn't. And I was especially proud to know why someone who'd had a stroke was put on clopidogrel rather than aspirin and (the other one I can't remember - dopy something?)

What is the reason(s)?

In other knowledge related news, theres apparently a drug interaction between Ciprofloxacin and Wafarin. Thank you Grand Round...
Original post by Wangers
What is the reason(s)?

In other knowledge related news, theres apparently a drug interaction between Ciprofloxacin and Wafarin. Thank you Grand Round...

"AO DEVICES" is a mnemonic for drugs that increasing warfarin activity. Cipro is the C (along with Cimetidine).

Unhelpfully, there is also a "C" in the mnemonic for drugs that decrease warfarin activity ("PC BRAS"), but you can't have everything.
Original post by Wangers

Original post by Wangers
What is the reason(s)?

She'd had PMH of gastric ulcers, and we all know aspirins effect on the GI tract, hence the need for PPIs :wink:
She'd had PMH of gastric ulcers, and we all know aspirins effect on the GI tract, hence the need for PPIs :wink:

If that's the reasoning - I'd rather geekily like to link you to this article.
:cool:
http://icvts.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/6/4/534
Original post by Philosoraptor
If that's the reasoning - I'd rather geekily like to link you to this article.
:cool:
http://icvts.ctsnetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/6/4/534

And because I refuse to accept that I'm wrong - this patient had a stroke, not cardiac surgery :p:
And because I refuse to accept that I'm wrong - this patient had a stroke, not cardiac surgery :p:

Oh whoops haha, let me find you the right one. :p: D'oh.

Clopidogrel gets on my nerves - we have a very good lecture by a good pharmacology guy that shows the dangers of COMPOSITE ENDPOINTS.

With the rather funny point that if Mugabe used composite endpoints he could show how he was a fair and just leader...

Oh whoops haha, let me find you the right one. :p: D'oh.

Clopidogrel gets on my nerves - we have a very good lecture by a good pharmacology guy that shows the dangers of COMPOSITE ENDPOINTS.

With the rather funny point that if Mugabe used composite endpoints he could show how he was a fair and just leader...

The right one? Meaning there is research that says there's no point to clopidogrel rather than aspirin + PPI after a stroke? Please let me be right :puppyeyes:

Composite Endpoints? :confused: I never researched it that much :wink:
pharmacology is such a babe
Reply 596
x
How was the SSS?
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
How was the SSS?

I "passed" :p: It wasn't too bad, but my legs were all shaky. I hate public speaking so much :sad:
Reply 598
I "passed" :p: It wasn't too bad, but my legs were all shaky. I hate public speaking so much :sad:

Get used to it :wink: :p:
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
Get used to it :wink: :p:

I know, I know. Apparently I didn't seem nervous, it's just in my head that I'm like "Arrrrrrgh!!!"

Latest