The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gozatron
Or the ones who are **** and get the sarcastic applause.

Urgh, i hate it! Would you have clapped your teachers after a lesson at sixth form?

Sometimes at the end of clapping, some people still clap but slowly which then builds up a full blow clapping session again. I have an odd year group.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I quite like my surname, it doesn't sound particularly unusual, IMO, but I've never met anyone else (who I'm not related to) that shares it.

Ditto :holmes:
Original post by Kinkerz
Ditto :holmes:

I'd laugh if we had the same name.
Anyone managed to log onto NHS.net using a mac? How'd you manage it?
Original post by billet-doux
Agreed! They are such a mission :frown: How is 3rd year going?! :biggrin:

It's pretty ace all in all tbh. Being in Chichester for my first rotation is definitely a good thing, very social atmosphere and everyone's so willing to give us their time and to teach us. Enjoying gastro far more than I thought I would too.

Must say it's a lot of work, probably more to do than in second year but it's a much better kind of busy actually seeing patients and doing practical things. Way, way better than pre-clinical stuff! Second year was such a chore (not very reassuring I know!).
Original post by Mushi_master
It's pretty ace all in all tbh. Being in Chichester for my first rotation is definitely a good thing, very social atmosphere and everyone's so willing to give us their time and to teach us. Enjoying gastro far more than I thought I would too.

Must say it's a lot of work, probably more to do than in second year but it's a much better kind of busy actually seeing patients and doing practical things. Way, way better than pre-clinical stuff! Second year was such a chore (not very reassuring I know!).

Chinchester? Christ, isn't that a treck?
So, I'm writing up a PBL for blood transfusions which I always thought I understood.

However, I was just writing out about O- being the universal doner but I kind of don't understand it anymore. I understand it has no antigens on the surface of the RBCs to be caught by the recipients antibodies but surely it has A and B antibodies in it? So wouldn't that cause a reaction between the recipients A/B/AB antigens and the donors antibodies? I know rhesus it won't because *most* people don't have rhesus antibodies unless they've been previously exposed to it.
Original post by Helenia
Given the **** I got at school for my surname, I have no idea why anyone would pick it voluntarily.

I would happily trade :sigh:
Passed my first finals long case :biggrin:
Original post by RollerBall
So, I'm writing up a PBL for blood transfusions which I always thought I understood.

However, I was just writing out about O- being the universal doner but I kind of don't understand it anymore. I understand it has no antigens on the surface of the RBCs to be caught by the recipients antibodies but surely it has A and B antibodies in it? So wouldn't that cause a reaction between the recipients A/B/AB antigens and the donors antibodies? I know rhesus it won't because *most* people don't have rhesus antibodies unless they've been previously exposed to it.

As far as I was told, the reason it's universal is because it's universal for a red cell transfusion. I.e. they transfer the red cells, not the serum/other cells in the donor blood. Therefore the antibodies won't be transfused. There are different types of transfusion which transfer different aspects of the blood and I believe you can make a full blood transfusion, so serum, red cells etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I was made to believe.
Original post by Jessaay!
As far as I was told, the reason it's universal is because it's universal for a red cell transfusion. I.e. they transfer the red cells, not the serum/other cells in the donor blood. Therefore the antibodies won't be transfused. There are different types of transfusion which transfer different aspects of the blood and I believe you can make a full blood transfusion, so serum, red cells etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I was made to believe.

Yeah, I think you're right. I had a look around after I posted and there are seperate plasma (contains antibodies but not antigens), platlets (contain neither but should try to match for remnent red blood cells) and RBC transfusions (follow the standard rules).

From what I have gathered they no longer do full blood transfusions which is why it is not neccessary to match antibodies as well as antigens.
Original post by Jessaay!

Sounds legit.
Original post by RollerBall

As above, but also you want to think about volumes. There will be a tiny amount of a/b graft antibodies against lots of a/b/ab host cells whereas it's much more problematic if there are lots of host antibodies against the graft cells. However, there is graft vs. host disease :wink:
Two PBLs done. Can't be bothered with thalassemia. I shall crack on tomorrow and try to get that one done and the four Metabolism PBLs I'm behind on. Then rock on the lecture write ups.

This work melarky is far too much work.
Original post by Lantana
As above, but also you want to think about volumes. There will be a tiny amount of a/b graft antibodies against lots of a/b/ab host cells whereas it's much more problematic if there are lots of host antibodies against the graft cells. However, there is graft vs. host disease :wink:

Isn't GvH something completely different? As in it's from marrow transplants and the creation of antibodies against the hosts cells from the graft marrow?
Original post by Mushi_master

That sounds pretty ace! Did you choose to be placed outside of London or is it all pretty random? When I hear stories like yours in comparison to the horror stories of iBSc, it makes me pretty tempted to just go straight into clinics :tongue: Yes, second year is such an effort. It's getting really tedious and we're not even half way through!
Had a final year GKT student at our GP - genuinely impressed guys well done - I'll take the mick slightly less frequently from now on :p:
Original post by englishman129
How did you revise the lecture slides? Just reading them again and again or writing notes/copying stuff out? Still not entirely sure what method to use. I want to be efficient but it feels like you're doing nothing just reading lol

And can you blag epidemiology/sociology and not attend lectures?

Sorry I've been off here for a while.

A mixture of reading & re-reading, and also writing notes. I only write notes on stuff I find confusing, or if I'm recapping/mindmapping later that day/week to see what's gone in. I feel there's too much to write up otherwise. I also like explaining stuff to mates if I'm comfortable with a topic that they're struggling with (rare! I normally just explain stuff to myself lol). If you can explain a topic clearly to someone, then you're winning.

That said, some people still make ridiculously detailed revision timetables and notes, all filed meticulously. Each to their own!

Sociology is definitely blaggable, but before the exam I'd have a leisurely read of that blue book they recommend for all your fluffy stuff throughout the year (Sociology as Applied to Medicine, Scambler). Epidemiology was relatively (and surprisingly) unblaggable - a fair bit of lecture-specific facts & figures. Nowhere near enough to fail the exam though.

I remember a lecture from the epidemiology course leader at the end of first term, in which she painstakingly highlighted everything we actually needed to revise for the exam, and was ostensibly doing us all a huge favour. But when I started going back over the lectures during the summer term, it quickly became apparent she basically wanted us to know everything.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Philosoraptor
Had a final year GKT student at our GP - genuinely impressed guys well done - I'll take the mick slightly less frequently from now on :p:

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

:tongue:
Woke up today at 5. Was supposed to be writing up those five PBLs but people are off to the pub at half six....

Latest

Trending

Trending