The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
This is a story which always happened to a friend of a friend/someone in the other histology group (our histo labs weren't big enough for everyone so practicals are split over several sessions on different days). Sometimes it was a Natsci rather than a medic, as a lot of our early practicals are the same.

So, one of the first practicals we used to do was putting a cheek swab on a microscope slide, staining it up and having a look, just to get used to the microscope and basic cell structure etc. The story goes that one girl saw some unusual looking cells on her slide, so she called over another student to look at them. They didn't know what it was either, so in the end there are quite a few students looking at this girl's odd slide, and the demonstrator comes over to see if they can help out. They have a quick look down the microscope and simply say "Ah yes. Sperm cells."

Cue much embarrassment for poor girl concerned, and lots of hilarity and "liquid lunch" jokes for everyone else.

:rofl:

Haha, ah yeah I think I've heard this in some form or another.
Original post by Helenia
This is a story which always happened to a friend of a friend/someone in the other histology group (our histo labs weren't big enough for everyone so practicals are split over several sessions on different days). Sometimes it was a Natsci rather than a medic, as a lot of our early practicals are the same.

So, one of the first practicals we used to do was putting a cheek swab on a microscope slide, staining it up and having a look, just to get used to the microscope and basic cell structure etc. The story goes that one girl saw some unusual looking cells on her slide, so she called over another student to look at them. They didn't know what it was either, so in the end there are quite a few students looking at this girl's odd slide, and the demonstrator comes over to see if they can help out. They have a quick look down the microscope and simply say "Ah yes. Sperm cells."

Cue much embarrassment for poor girl concerned, and lots of hilarity and "liquid lunch" jokes for everyone else.

That's brilliant.
asif007 I attended an Ace Medicine interview preparation course back in November 2010 and found it immensely useful. They give you a booklet full of information and tips, which I found very helpful in the run-up to my interview. A plus point is that they also collect questions specific to medical schools (although they haven't included all schools), so depending on which university you've applied to, it should be really useful.

They only thing they don't focus on so much is one-to-one interview practice, so I would suggest you do a lot more preparation in addition to attending the course. They have a good range of lecturers from some of the top medical schools (eg. UCL and Imperial) so there is a lot of information to take home, but it's not exhaustive.

Also, I would recommend you to go with at least 2 other friends applying for Medicine - if you book in a group of 3 or more, you pay £100 each for the 2-day course instead of £130. I'll admit it's not the best price, but definitely worth the money.

Hope that helps. :smile:
So, you pay a ridiculous amount of money to go on an interview prep course that dosn't do interviews?? And then you have to do more work? You couldn't make this up, could you?

I might go and start up one of these companies...

See post above - Shall we start up a company, rent a seminar room and talk about how to do interviews? £100/20people = profit. Who's with me? :biggrin:
Original post by Wangers
asif007 I attended an Ace Medicine interview preparation course back in November 2010 and found it immensely useful. They give you a booklet full of information and tips, which I found very helpful in the run-up to my interview. A plus point is that they also collect questions specific to medical schools (although they haven't included all schools), so depending on which university you've applied to, it should be really useful.

They only thing they don't focus on so much is one-to-one interview practice, so I would suggest you do a lot more preparation in addition to attending the course. They have a good range of lecturers from some of the top medical schools (eg. UCL and Imperial) so there is a lot of information to take home, but it's not exhaustive.

Also, I would recommend you to go with at least 2 other friends applying for Medicine - if you book in a group of 3 or more, you pay £100 each for the 2-day course instead of £130. I'll admit it's not the best price, but definitely worth the money.

So, you pay a ridiculous amount of money to go on an interview prep course that dosn't do interviews?? And then you have to do more work? You couldn't make this up, could you?

See post above - Shall we start up a company, rent a seminar room and talk about how to do interviews? £100/20people = profit. Who's with me? :biggrin:

I'm in! The ridiculous thing is we'd have loads of people come...
Original post by Philosoraptor
I'm in! The ridiculous thing is we'd have loads of people come...

Original post by crazylemon
I'm in. And here I was considering offering my services to my school or free.

Original post by Wangers

I need to find something else to do with my life now.
Count me in!
Original post by fairy spangles
I need to find something else to do with my life now.
Count me in!

Me too :biggrin: already do e-mentoring for students wanting to go into Medicine, why not do it commercially :tongue:

ALSO given we're all from different medical schools, so can bring different styles to the interview and offer advice for each medical school rather than those generic courses that have students from the same medical school.
Original post by Wangers

Lets milk those applicants dry.
Reply 7167
Woah, I skimmed that previous post thinking it was something else.

I want some. :biggrin:
Original post by Wangers
asif007So, you pay a ridiculous amount of money to go on an interview prep course that dosn't do interviews?? And then you have to do more work? You couldn't make this up, could you?

I sold my soul and did this for the interview season just gone/ going. Such good money! Also, some of the answers you get are hilarious.

Original post by John Locke

Minecraft! amazing!

This is how I spent wasted my Bsc year. So much trollololol.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm in guys. I'm guessing between us we have probably had interviews at nearly every UK med school?
(edited 12 years ago)
I reckon it would actually be do-able.

Build a cheap website, rent a space in London, £100 a pop. All commute down, stay in a hotel, give a few talks, blow all the profit on blow and hookers.
Original post by crazylemon
We probably have enough londoners to save on the hotel.
More blow and hookers :yep:

Cutting corners and living the dream. I like.
Reply 7172
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Me too :biggrin: already do e-mentoring for students wanting to go into Medicine, why not do it commercially :tongue:

Same here! :biggrin:

I'm pretty interested in this interview thing. Haha.
Reply 7173
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Build a cheap website

:yep: My area.
Missed all my lectures this morning. Bus roulette was not a good idea, ended up in Ilford at 3am mashed. Got in at 4.30 for my supposed 9am start.
Original post by RollerBall
Missed all my lectures this morning. Bus roulette was not a good idea, ended up in Ilford at 3am mashed. Got in at 4.30 for my supposed 9am start.

Good effort.
Original post by Wangers

I would be interested! :biggrin:
If this interview prep kicks off I'd be down. I was contemplating doing it for BL/going back to give a talk on how to write personal statements at my comprehensive school.
blow all the profit on blow and hookers.

Amazing.

Cutting corners and living the dream. I like.

You sound a lot like someone I know IRL who started graduate medicine this year. Which med school you at?
Original post by No Future

You sound a lot like someone I know IRL who started graduate medicine this year. Which med school you at?

My cover is blown.

Latest

Trending

Trending