The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8420
Original post by Madprof
As if it's not enough sitting finals, trying to organise last minute elective details and ranking 584 jobs, all in a freezing cold house we can't afford to heat properly, today I got a summons for jury service. For in the middle of my elective. Cause I could really do with more stress in my life right now, grrrrrrrrr!

*and relax*

Does the ranking need to be done before finals? If so that sucks - I had the luxury of post finals-pre elective last minute ranking. Do you still get quite a gap between written an OSCE? Allocate some of it to your 'time off'..?

Revise in a warm library/JCR/MCR w/ headphones? :tongue:

Jury service should be deferrable when you have pre-established travel plans - contact them & ask nicely... delegate letter writing/phonecalls to a supportive-non-medic-friend / family if possible!

GOOD LUCK! Keep focussed on the awesome-ness that will be Elective-SSMs-Preparing-for-Practice-last-summer-in-Oxford & graduating. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Definitely. Think I might try and swing another 21st instead of facing up to 23 this year.

:colone:
Original post by Madprof
As if it's not enough sitting finals, trying to organise last minute elective details and ranking 584 jobs, all in a freezing cold house we can't afford to heat properly, today I got a summons for jury service. For in the middle of my elective. Cause I could really do with more stress in my life right now, grrrrrrrrr!

*and relax*

Fairly sure the medical school can write you a letter to get out of jury service - someone in my year got out of it on the basis that it can go on for months on end and would interrupt their training.
Original post by Elles
Does the ranking need to be done before finals? If so that sucks - I had the luxury of post finals-pre elective last minute ranking. Do you still get quite a gap between written an OSCE? Allocate some of it to your 'time off'..?

Jury service should be deferrable when you have pre-established travel plans - contact them & ask nicely... delegate letter writing/phonecalls to a supportive-non-medic-friend / family if possible!

GOOD LUCK! Keep focussed on the awesome-ness that will be Elective-SSMs-Preparing-for-Practice-last-summer-in-Oxford & graduating. :biggrin:

Fairly sure the medical school can write you a letter to get out of jury service - someone in my year got out of it on the basis that it can go on for months on end and would interrupt their training.
Thanks guys :smile: Aaaargh, stress! Will pull myself together but wanted a vent.

Yeah, I phoned them up and they were pretty sympathetic - suggested I asked for deferral until Jan 2013 and then let them know where I was living and exactly when I could make once I'd "properly settled into [my] new job", aw! Have sent off the letter asking for this and if am asked for proof will delegate this to my saintly Mum who has offered to sort it all. Just a charming letter to get in middle of chasing accommodation details/learning long lists of drug interactions/preventing next door's cat from eating my breakfast. Happy, in fact keen to do it but not right now!

Elles, sadly ranking due in day before final OSCE! Have set aside a day to do it all - have five days between MCQs and OSCE so that should be OK. Also set aside yesterday to do it but only managed 11. Still, the first ones are the most important I guess.

Thanks! Two and a half weeks til I'm sitting on a sunny Perth beach ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Once again it is all a lie :tongue: Fantastic.

Haha,

Finally have a grasp of it.

The old model - intrinsic, extrinsic and common pathway, fails to explain why patients with prekallikrein and XII deficiencies have normal clotting and lack coagulopathies.

The new cell-based model of coagulation has begun to be more accepted and able to explain these coagulopathies.

So while the old model is far easier to learn as it is a cascade rather than cycle, the cell based model is more physiologically and clinically accurate.
Original post by carcinoma
Haha,

Finally have a grasp of it.

The old model - intrinsic, extrinsic and common pathway, fails to explain why patients with prekallikrein and XII deficiencies have normal clotting and lack coagulopathies.

The new cell-based model of coagulation has begun to be more accepted and able to explain these coagulopathies.

So while the old model is far easier to learn as it is a cascade rather than cycle, the cell based model is more physiologically and clinically accurate.

What? New model of coagulation? I don't think I ever got the old one in my head, and now there's a new one? I am definitely not coming back to medicine if they keep coming up with stuff I have to learn again...
What? New model of coagulation? I don't think I ever got the old one in my head, and now there's a new one? I am definitely not coming back to medicine if they keep coming up with stuff I have to learn again...

Its mostly the same, just initiation doesn't really occur via contact factors and factor 12, its mostly via Tissue Factor, with a positive feedback type activation of the factors of the old "intrinsic" pathway.
What's interesting in that someone clever enough to get an interview for Oxford is apparently not clever enough to figure out Facebook's privacy settings.... :wink:

Oh dear. She seems to have figured out now though... :ninja:
Its mostly the same, just initiation doesn't really occur via contact factors and factor 12, its mostly via Tissue Factor, with a positive feedback type activation of the factors of the old "intrinsic" pathway.

What is this new pathway you speak of? I learnt the 'old' one so well in first year, and can probably still draw it from memory (just about) - change will not bode well for me. :dry:
Original post by Mushi_master
Oh if only I brought my 3DS. Mario Kart would have massively improved my life today.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I keep my PSP/DS in my bag every day depending on what I'm playing at that current time. It was originally intended for bus/tube journeys but I think I probably use it more in lectures than on the move now.

Original post by Wangers
Malaria is quite interesting - theres some new drugs out.

Original post by Tech
15th of feb? plenty of time!

Not sure if you can talk about prevention, but if so the new vaccine GSK are putting out is pretty exciting stuff.

Crap, I did a very rough around the edges 10 minute presentation without powerpoint a few months back on treatments of malaria. I was hoping nothing new would have emerged making my life a lot easier. Does it just disrupt life cycle or am I going to have to learn a bunch of new drug targets?

The old intrinsic/extrinsic pathway is basically lies. And memorising it serves little purpose anyway. :smile:

Is that the cycle that's in diagrammatic form in Kumar and Clark? Cause that's how I learnt it and it really annoyed me when haematologists kept banging on about intrinsic/extrinsic :p:
Whey reckon this ssc will be good, with the ENT guys and they've got this case report for me which they reckon is publishable and presentable.
I hate surgery so much i want to cry.
Original post by fairy spangles
I hate surgery so much i want to cry.

Fairy what are you doing for jobs ranking!! I can't be bothered to rank that manyyyy
Original post by Elles

The Yorkshire bunch (me and fairy) need to rank the 500 by next wednesday!! :frown: Urgggggh
Original post by digitalis
Fairy what are you doing for jobs ranking!! I can't be bothered to rank that manyyyy

Do you get any indication of your quartile? I know some deanaries do....
Original post by Captain Crash
Do you get any indication of your quartile? I know some deanaries do....

No, haven't received anything like that which is a shame. Got 82. I honestly think I am just going to rank 100 jobs and click through the rest...if I don't get one of my top 100 jobs then it was never meant to happen!
Original post by digitalis
No, haven't received anything like that which is a shame. Got 82. I honestly think I am just going to rank 100 jobs and click through the rest...if I don't get one of my top 100 jobs then it was never meant to happen!

Is one of those histograms showing successful applicants scores in the Yorkshire deanary not available? They were last year.
Reply 8439
Hate statistics. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending