The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8800
Wrote the entire essay from start to finish, continuously, added nothing, took nothing away, right to the last full stop at the end of the conclusion. Hit the bibliography button, submitted it in with 5 minutes to spare.

Read through at the end look for errors, mistakes or to make improvements?

(edited 12 years ago)
Looks like I'm at kch for my last rotation this year. Pain in the arse to get to from mine, cheers then.
Original post by chloemo14
Passed my first exam.....attended heinously few lectures (like, about 7) last term, so was content with my 64%....until it turned out the year average was 70, and over 30 people got scores above 90 :facepalm:

feeling a bit disillusioned with medical school generally. not sure if it's because the reality of actually being here is setting in, or if it's because i'm aware i do need to step up my game a lot with the amount im working, but it all just feels very flat. on top of that, our year isn't very close knit in any way, feel like i'm going to be single forever, and i'm desperately missing languages and humanities, and just blearghhhhhhhhh. first year blues maybe?

I'm a first year too and totally get where you're coming from! I've had other issues going on too that I've been struggling with since around November, which has made it harder, but I totally get what you mean and I'm already at the point where I can't wait for clinical years!! I think that the main thing to remember is how you feel when you go on hospital/GP visits etc and remember that the first 2 years are nothing like actually being a doctor! I'm starting volunteering at a hospital in a few weeks so hopefully the patient contact there will help.
I also agree with languages and humanities, and am trying to find a solution... I have a flatmate who's Greek and desperate to apply to medicine postgrad so I agreed to help her study for her biology A level in return for Greek lessons, maybe you could find something like that? I know some unis have programmes which pair up students of different nationalities to learn languages. I think it's just a case of being creative though I definitely understand how hard it is to switch off from medicine!! XD
You are definitely not alone :smile: :smile: -hug-
Is it me or does anyone else find wearing their stethoscope round their neck really painful? I can manage about 5-10 minutes. I have to find clothes with pockets or loops on so i can keep hold of it that way. Im thinking of taking a small bag round with me on the wards.
Original post by Tech

Is anyone going to medfest? It looks pretty cool...

That actually looks so good.. but it's not coming to Newcastle :frown:
Original post by Tech

Is anyone going to medfest? It looks pretty cool...

Not gunna lie - sounds ****.
Original post by fairy spangles

Original post by fairy spangles
Is it me or does anyone else find wearing their stethoscope round their neck really painful? I can manage about 5-10 minutes. I have to find clothes with pockets or loops on so i can keep hold of it that way. Im thinking of taking a small bag round with me on the wards.

I've already invested in a small ward bag for stethoscope, OHCM, notebook, pen, purse, phone etc.

Get an over the shoulder one so you can swing it out the way when dealing with patients :yep:
Reply 8807
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I've already invested in a small ward bag for stethoscope, OHCM, notebook, pen, purse, phone etc.

Get an over the shoulder one so you can swing it out the way when dealing with patients :yep:

Male doctors can't exactly pull off that look :no:

Got a clinical attachment in 2 weeks time, dunno how I'm gonna bring my stuff around haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Vulpes

Original post by Vulpes
Male doctors can't exactly pull off that look :no:

Got a clinical attachment in 2 weeks time, dunno how I'm gonna bring my stuff around haha.

I'm pretty sure fairy spangles is a girl though :p:

Men usually have more pockets than women do :yep:
Reply 8809
Left pocket: pens,steathoscope,wallet
right pocket: phone
back left pocket: notebook
back right pocket: sign off sheet.
I just walk around with a satchel like a homo.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I just walk around with a satchel like a homo.

On the ward???
6 nations game day! Happy days!
Original post by Isometrix
On the ward???

Yea. Nobody seems to care :dontknow: I hate having loads of crap in my pockets.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8814
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Yea. Nobody seems to care :dontknow: I hate having loads of crap in my pockets.

They all laugh behind your back.
Original post by SMed
They all laugh behind your back.

haters gonna hate.
I'm looking into a satchel - still have a back pack which makes me feel I'm still in high school - as I think it would look a bit more professional.

Trying to make myself look as though I know what I am doing when instead I'm actually bricking it.
Reply 8817
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
I'm looking into a satchel - still have a back pack which makes me feel I'm still in high school - as I think it would look a bit more professional.

Trying to make myself look as though I know what I am doing when instead I'm actually bricking it.

But do you look as though you know how to brick it?
Original post by Phryx
Left pocket: pens,steathoscope,wallet
right pocket: phone
back left pocket: notebook
back right pocket: sign off sheet.

Can't you leave stuff in the staff room? I always leave my bag/coat/file there, and just keep my steth around neck and a pen in my pocket.

I don't like bulky pockets, things always fall out of them. A lot.
Reply 8819
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Can't you leave stuff in the staff room? I always leave my bag/coat/file there, and just keep my steth around neck and a pen in my pocket.

I don't like bulky pockets, things always fall out of them. A lot.

I leave my bag, coat plus other things in my locker. With us third years tend to keep stethoscopes in our pockets. Final years wear them around their necks.