Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In general good idea? bad idea?

I recently had a bad break up with my boyfriend of nearly 4 years (he broke up with me). Only was about 3 weeks ago.

I'm a flirty person. and usually very social. obviously this has knocked me a bit. I really just want to get back on track.

couple of guys I know that I could get with, who I do find attractive.
    Just wondering what people thought about this? I don't think I need a guy to be happy I just really want to put some distance between me and my ex and have some fun.

So yeah just wondering what people thought of "rebounds"?.....

ReputationRep:
    Guys don't want to be 'the rebound guy' or the 'rebound bro', unless they're inexperienced and just really want to get with someone.

Don't think the dude would be too happy if he thought you were getting him for a reason other than you actually liking him

ReputationRep:
    I love rebounds =) So long as everyone is clear where they stand its a good way to get over someone. Nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes rebounds don't realise theye rebounds. As long you don't hurt someone because you still havent gotten over feelings for your ex it's alright. Break ups suuck tho

(Original post by luuucyx)
    Sometimes rebounds don't realise theye rebounds. As long you don't hurt someone because you still havent gotten over feelings for your ex it's alright. Break ups suuck tho
    thanks yeah they do suck

I have to say one of them in particular I know doesn't want a r-ship so I was more worried that I'd become too into him, but it will probably be more about missing my ex if I do feel anything.

I just think any distraction is good atm. I just want to be happy again. I have good days but then I just miss him loads and it's so rubbish!

Getting with an attractive guy seems to make the most sense!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't even be able to think of touching another girl on the rebound if my relationship recently split up, by my doing or not. Perhaps not due to not being over the relationship, or even out of respect for her, but simply down to respect for my own feelings and the love I give. It'd feel cheapened for future, real partners, if I simply took a new partner to indulge my cravings for something similar to what had just been lost.

ReputationRep:
    Rebounds get complicated and all the time somebody WILL get hurt. Just get a one night stand with a random if it's sex you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thanks yeah they do suck

I have to say one of them in particular I know doesn't want a r-ship so I was more worried that I'd become too into him, but it will probably be more about missing my ex if I do feel anything.

I just think any distraction is good atm. I just want to be happy again. I have good days but then I just miss him loads and it's so rubbish!

Getting with an attractive guy seems to make the most sense!
    As long as you both know where you stand with each other, I had a kinda thing like this and I didn't know how I felt about this guy and now I've messed up. If you do end up liking them or them you then you need just to look if the feeling possibly mutual and if not it needs to end because someone will get hurt. Haha I'm wise from it happening like last week. I'm sure it'll all be good x

ReputationRep:
    Dont do it.
    I've done it, and i made my rebound guy cry. Which was the most painful thing to look at. :sigh:
    Sometimes, some guys may agree by them being a rebound guy. But majority will not do it for the sake of not getting hurt at all.
    Some people just don't realise that they are using someone, they are blinded by the honeymoon stage of the new relationship which is covering up the scars left by their ex partners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    Dont do it.
    I've done it, and i made my rebound guy cry. Which was the most painful thing to look at. :sigh:
    Sometimes, some guys may agree by them being a rebound guy. But majority will not do it for the sake of not getting hurt at all.
    Some people just don't realise that they are using someone, they are blinded by the honeymoon stage of the new relationship which is covering up the scars left by their ex partners.
    I agree totally. I realised not so long ago that I completely used and abused a lovely guy as a rebound without being conscious of it at the time. Really wish I hadn't, because he didn't deserve to get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I was broken up with in October and was making out with a guy mate 2 weeks later. It felt so incredibly wrong at the time, but I was drunk and trying to block out the pain of the break up - it didn't work and I ended up feeling even worse the next day.

Don't do it, it won't make you feel any better, trust me

ReputationRep:
    I've quite enjoyed having a distraction since my break up four months ago. Although I guess it depends on a lot of things. Our break up was really **** and there was 0 chance of us ever being able to work it out as it involved other people. So I really was in a place where i just had to get over it. And because we both know exactly where we stand, I am still enjoying this distraction

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.