Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grade 5 Music Theory Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is an exam that I've been putting off for years.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I can do to learn the course, say from scratch (I have basic knowledge but too basic)?

Thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Yes ABRSM

I've got their massive pink book which I'm working through slowly, but hopefully it'll only take a few months of studying until I can take the exam.

Thanks very much I really appreciate it and congrats for getting into Oxford, I always open those little UCAS spoiler forms.

ReputationRep:
    Work through the past papers. I generally did that and was getting averages of 80s towards the exam. However the exam on the day was harder than all my past papers and i only passed by one mark lol.

ReputationRep:
    read the grade VI-VIII theory blue book to consolidate what you know. a good sight read of bach is always good for the theory too.

ReputationRep:
    Just read the pink book, do as many past papers as you can and if you have a music teacher get them to run through some stuff with you. It really isn't that hard. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I only did grade 1 and 2 theory before I took Grade 5. What I did was, a couple of days before the exam, I went on some website (I don't remember which one), and noted down all the important looking stuff on a couple of A4 sheets. And then I just memorised all the stuff I wrote down.

I passed, so I guess it kinda helped.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.