Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Theres this horrible question . The aqa nelson thornes book says its from an AQA 2004 paper but I've searched them and I can't find the mark scheme.

Okay so.
    Theres a table showing number of pests against the month while chemical pesticide is in use.

feb 2
    march 15
    april 3
    may 20
    june 3
    july 16
    august 2

Why is the number of pests going up down up down???

The actual question is.

Explain how th echemical control leads to changes in the number of spotted knapweed plants from march to june.

All Ive got is that they develop resistance...its a 3 mark question. Help please.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    Anybody?
    Does the question say when the insecticide is used?

My first thoughts are that the insecticide is used when the population of pests are high. So when applied, the pests die, and only a few of them remain, but enough of them to be able to colonise again. I would read over your notes again, I'll try and find what the mark scheme says.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yep just to confirm what I said was right(sorry if I sound big-headed).

Here is the link to the thread with the mark scheme http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1234936

scroll down to chapter 5 unit 4, question 5 (b)(ii). Its because the insecticide is washed away after time and plants are able to grow back during that time before the insecticide is re-applied.

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Yep just to confirm what I said was right(sorry if I sound big-headed).

Here is the link to the thread with the mark scheme http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1234936

scroll down to chapter 5 unit 4, question 5 (b)(ii). Its because the insecticide is washed away after time and plants are able to grow back during that time before the insecticide is re-applied.

Hope this helped
    Thankyou it helped alot indeed. *HUG*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.