Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I so unmotivated? Watch

I can never stay focused on anything when I'm at home. I know I should be doing revision, booking a hotel for my interview, booking train tickets and etc. but I always find myself drifting back to Facebook or some random Wikipedia article instead (<WTF :confused:). Sometimes I don't even realise I've done this until half an hour has gone by. The frustrating thing is I know I should be doing these things and I want to, but I just can't for some reason.
    Anyone else experienced this? Just knowing I'm not the only one will really help.
    Cheers TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Stoned?

Edit: Actualy, scratch that; Wikipedia would be the last place I'd go.

Sounds like you just have a procrastination problem. Welcome to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    You just got to man up and get on with it.

Which is strange coming from me seeing as the only reason i'm commenting is because i'm not motivated enough to get on with my revision.

ReputationRep:
    I can't do effective revision until i have the fear

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this is the story of my life. I waste and waste and waste time until it finally hits me that I have to work (and even then I either go into a shell and panick or attempt some crazy plan of not sleeping for 3 days and cramming like never before). And yeah, this procrastination does tend to affect other parts of my life but it's mainly revision. It's highly frustrating but it's something only you can put a stop to. The best thing to do is everytime you find yourself procrastinating is do exactly the thing you are avoiding, as painful as it is. Don't think about it or analyse it or question it, just get up and do what you have to do. Make a habit of doing this and hopefully with time you it will become a habit and you'll feel empowered by taking things into your own hands and not feeling so out of control.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact problem.

I'm afraid I can't offer you any advice other than - stop being an idiot and get on with it. That's what I say to myself. It doesn't work, but makes me feel better knowing that I tried.

I hate college work so much. I'm not interested anymore - I just want to join the Navy already.

ReputationRep:
    It's called procrastinating - most people on tsr are real pros at it.

I've got four courseworks to write up from scratch, three to go over and topics to cover for several subjects I was too lazy to do in class. I have about four days to do it all and still not started :bricks:

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling completely the same. Though for me it's facebook, msn or here.
    It definitely is a procrastination problem. Let me know if you find a solution D=

ReputationRep:
    Unplug your modem.

I know :zomg: sounds ridiculous. But honestly, be logical about this, you'll be cutting out a massive distraction with minimal effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alt__x)
    I can't do effective revision until i have the fear
    LOL i hate that feeling...........but its the only thing that motivates me too

ReputationRep:
    Around revision - a fear of failing - it's so easy to shrug your shoulders and say that you didn't get good grades because you didn't revise, than work hard and not achieve the best.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it right now.

Books are staring at me as I type this.
    I find them intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm experiencing it now

ReputationRep:
    Yeh. I'm the same. I have finals in 6 months time, a 3 hour 'exam' (doesn't count but still need to do ok) in 2 weeks, 4 essays due next term and work for classes every week, and I've basically done nothing for any of it.

Maybe ask your parents to disconnect the internet for a while?

Another thing which I find helpful when trying to work is to go to a library, or somewhere which you don't connect to having fun or doing whatever you want (like your room). Then I just try really really hard not to go on stupid sites/fb while I'm there. Some library networks don't let you on fb anyway, which is great, and it can be a bit embarrassing looking at stupid sites when you have people around you working away.

ReputationRep:
    How long have people spent wasting time today? I just realised I have done nothing since 3pm, bar surf the internet aimlessly and wait for that little red notification to appear on Facebook.... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaz77)
    Maybe you have low ACTH levels in your brain which makes you always have that can't be bothered feeling. See a doc perhaps? If you think its serious enough and is stopping you from carrying out everyday activities.
    Hi, I did a quick google on ACTH but didn't find anything about this. Do you know how it works/could you explain it to me please? It's just that in the past 3 months I've basically stopped bothering with work, I don't get up til midday and other lazy things, when before I was always really get up and go and never had any concentration problems at all. I thought it was just me being lazy, but the sudden change is quite weird I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    Hi, I did a quick google on ACTH but didn't find anything about this. Do you know how it works/could you explain it to me please? It's just that in the past 3 months I've basically stopped bothering with work, I don't get up til midday and other lazy things, when before I was always really get up and go and never had any concentration problems at all. I thought it was just me being lazy, but the sudden change is quite weird I think...
    If we are going down the medical route, we should also consider depression (have you noticed a change in mood? eating habits? sleeping habits? interest in hobbies you used to find enjoyable?), Addison's disease (as mentioned above), hyper/hyperthyroidism, glandular fever, anaemia, diabetes and chronic fatigue syndrome to name but a few...

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 midterms starting next week, and i haven't read ANYTHING for them, i just stay on the internet, or watch tv shows... bear in mind it's 2 here i don't want to go to sleep because i have stuff to do tomorrow and i'm just tooo lazy to do anything.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    make a tally of everytime u go off task, and try and beat it every revision day/session.

im thinking of using a totem every time i lose concentration during study so it can me snap into reality.
    inceptionlad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melon_smasher)
    make a tally of everytime u go off task, and try and beat it every revision day/session.

im thinking of using a totem every time i lose concentration during study so it can me snap into reality.
    inceptionlad.
    GeekazoidLAD.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.