Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've registered my domain name (callumwoodford.co.uk) and got a month's web hosting. Now what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Create an index, design your site manually or install a web template or install a script. You need a frontend.
    You need a rearend too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wodeford)
    so i've registered my domain name (callumwoodford.co.uk) and got a month's web hosting. Now what?
    You stole my sig!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    "Use your favourite FTP application to transfer your website to the web server."

Seriously though, do something fun! Set up a joke agony aunt page. Make pretty backgrounds. Post a blog on there. Do flashy stuff. Write about yourself. Write messages to friends. Put pictures up. Put links to your other sites (fb, blogs, etc). Make your own 'arcade' with free game code, or your own games.

Some suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    So I've registered my domain name. Got web hosting. Made an index. Got an ftp server running. How do I upload things to my site?

ReputationRep:
    Connect to the FTP server using an FTP client (such as this one) and then drag the files over.

Your host should provide you with FTP details. It's usually just a case of using the credentials you use to access your hosting control panel.

ReputationRep:
    If you have firefox install the add-on : FireFTP

ReputationRep:
    STILL can't get sort it out... I get this message

Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
    Error: Could not connect to server
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It takes 24 hours for the domain name to propagate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wodeford)
    So I've registered my domain name. Got web hosting. Made an index. Got an ftp server running. How do I upload things to my site?
    It seems your site is on a holding page set by your web hosting provider. visit your site and there are instructions there to get you going.
    However- I've jsut done a whois search for your domain and it seems its not been setup properly yet:

I get the following message.
    Registration status:
    Registration request being processed.

One way to make sure you've properly been registered with the authorities is to check your e-mail inbox (the e-mail adress you registered the domain anme with) for a message from Nominet (the UK registry) The subject should be: Your .uk domain name
    The from e-mail should be [email protected]

If you have checked this through and the e-mail isn't there- you'll just have to wait a few days.

If the e-mail is there in your inbox- just send me a message on here and I'll walk you through the rest.

ayathullah

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.