Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before someone says it, I know, legally, it's 16.

But technically, it's 13 - there is no prosecution unless one of the people involved is under 13.

Considering there's no prosecution, and no consequences, I wouldn't consider it to be a law, it's certainly not an enforced one.

Therefore, with prosecution under age 13, I would consider 13 to be the REAL age of consent.

NB: My mum works in Teenage pregnancy, yes, I'm certain this information is correct
    NB2: I'm not saying it SHOULD be 13, I'm just pointing this out for anyone interested.

ReputationRep:
    whats the question?

ReputationRep:
    A nurse at the sexual health clinic told me it was 13, too. 16 legally, but unless a person is under 13 they don't involve parents or anything like that. I argued to a friend that it was 13 and got made to look like a moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    whats the question?
    There isn't one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    A nurse at the sexual health clinic told me it was 13, too. 16 legally, but unless a person is under 13 they don't involve parents or anything like that. I argued to a friend that it was 13 and got made to look like a moron.
    UNF! And is that Josh groban in your sig? :love:

Justin Bieber only has to wait another 3 years then i'm sure he's happy.

ReputationRep:
      I'm uncomfortable with that. I don't think kids are mature enough at 14/15 to make decisions about sex, let alone 13.

ReputationRep:
      Ok then................for whom does this infomation benefit exactly? :confused:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by wtfCharlie)
      UNF! And is that Josh groban in your sig? :love:
      Yesss! He's so cute, gotta love a bit of Groban :love:

ReputationRep:
      Its not going to make the slightest difference at all

ReputationRep:
      Uhh, not totally true.

Below 13, ANYONE can report it to the police, and they'll usually investigate. After 13, it pretty much has to be the people involved who report it, and tbh, I doubt that's gonna happen.

ReputationRep:
      Looking back, it's horrible that a 13yo self would have been allowed to make decisions like that. It's not for children.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ash-corbett-collins)
      Looking back, it's horrible that a 13yo self would have been allowed to make decisions like that. It's not for children.
      No.....is that not how it STILL is? In the present?

ReputationRep:
      Just to clarify, there are repercussions if the kid is 13 and the partner is like... 50.

But not if the partner is a similar age.

ReputationRep:
      It's not really. They don't tend to enforce the law against 15 year olds (or however old teenagers) just because really they aren't harming anyone. They would enforce it though if some old man was having sex with 14 year olds.

It's all just to do with normal prosecution rules, the government isn't going to waste money prosecuting people who aren't a harm to society because it would just be silly, and everyone would be angry if 15 year olds up and down the country go thrown in jail for having sex with each other.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Emily:-))
      No.....is that not how it STILL is? In the present?
      No because I'm 19 now.

I thought it was 13 if both are under 16? As in if a 15 year old had sex with a 13 year old and it was consensual then it isnt prosecutional

ReputationRep:
        But that doesn't apply to something like a 13 year old and a 30 year old surely?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Lemons)
        It's not really. They don't tend to enforce the law against 15 year olds (or however old teenagers) just because really they aren't harming anyone. They would enforce it though if some old man was having sex with 14 year olds.It's all just to do with normal prosecution rules, the government isn't going to waste money prosecuting people who aren't a harm to society because it would just be silly, and everyone would be angry if 15 year olds up and down the country go thrown in jail for having sex with each other.
        True, but i doubt this happens that often.

That being said, it's one of the reasons i'm glad we have a sort-of consent rule, because it allows for both consensual sex and the prosecution of sickos.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by wtfCharlie)
        True, but i doubt this happens that often.

That being said, it's one of the reasons i'm glad we have a sort-of consent rule, because it allows for both consensual sex and the prosecution of sickos.
        Yeh, it's quite good. It stops mental stuff like this happening.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.